218th Seige Battery Royal Garrison Artillery

8 replies to this topic

#1 rjaydee

rjaydee

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 08:12 PM

Another of "my" men I am trying to trace place of death of died with the 218th Seige Battery RGA on the 30/31st October 1918 buried Premont British Cem any ideas where his Battery was situated at the time anyone? Regards Ralph.

#2 Greenwoodman

Greenwoodman

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 08 September 2007 - 10:31 PM

This battery is not mentioned in Farndale, RJD.

#3 rjaydee

rjaydee

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 10:58 AM

Richard, Many thanks for the reply, much appreciated, can I ask if you have anything on "A" Battery 88th Bde Royal Field Artillery one of my men killed 21st March 1918 (German offensive day as we know) Regards Ralph.

#4 Greenwoodman

Greenwoodman

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:41 AM

Yep. 88th Bde RFA were with 19th Division, mentioned only in Farndale in the order of battle. However 19th Div's History records that the wagon lines for the guns were at Ytres, south of Bertincourt. It has an extract from OC Wagon Lines' private diary.
"Thursday 21st March 1918: I was at the Wagon lines on this date, having been here since the 19th, viz., at Ytres. This place has been shelled now with high velocity guns for the last week. I woke up at 4.30 a.m. with a very heavy bombardment by the enemy. This Wagon line was shelled the whole day. The enemy continued this heavy firing along the whole front for eight hours, sending over 1,000 gas shells. Received an order at 10 p.m. to go up with the limbers to remove guns as the enemy was advancing in large number. Got them out and into a new position by midnight, and returned with the limbers to Wagon Line; got there at 4 a.m."

The divnl history states that the RFA Bde's war diary records only moves of their batteries, so you may be able to pin down battery positions from the Bde war diary.

#5 Greenwoodman

Greenwoodman

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,272 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 11:52 AM

I checked the Order of Battle for 218 Battery. It was a 6" howitzer battery in 18 Bde RGA. In October it was attached to The American 2nd Corps in Fourth Army.

#6 rjaydee

rjaydee

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 12:17 PM

Richard, Many thanks for all this information, it is really helpfull. Regards Ralph.

#7 Ron Clifton

Ron Clifton

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 03:25 PM

Hello again Ralph

The War Diary for 218 Siege Battery RGA is in the National Archives at Kew, in file WO95/540. War Diaries rarely mention men by name other than officers, but the location of the unit and a description of its activities is given for each day.

Ron

#8 essdee

essdee

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 669 posts

Posted 09 September 2007 - 07:38 PM

Ralph

218 Siege were about 1000 yards SW of Escaufort at map ref V6a 8.2. sheet 57b.

218 were allocated to 18th Brigade RGA who were in VII Corps HA but for October the VII Corps HA were attached to and acted as the HA for the 2nd US Corps.

From the 24th to the 31st October the HA are shown as at rest with the US Corps.

Stuart

#9 rjaydee

rjaydee

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,972 posts

Posted 10 September 2007 - 06:07 PM

Stuart, Many thanks, just the thing, as is all the other info, really great. Ralph.