1989 replies to this topic

#1 Tom A McCluskey

Tom A McCluskey

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:13 PM

Dundee & Angus Branch of the Great War Forum - Meeting

Hi all, at long last, itís about time that the Dundee and Angus contributors of this forum have a get together, the suggested time and venue is as follows:

When: 1400, Sunday 30th December 2007

Where: The Fishermanís, Broughty Ferry, Dundee.

Our Scout section (Ian Robertson), sent out earlier in the year, has reported back to Battalion Headquarters that there is sufficient room and supplies to stage future operations from this location.

It is our intention to infiltrate this location, secure a patrol harbour, from which various patrols will be sent out on raids to procure pints of Scotlandís finest. The harbour protection party are to secure a table and proceed with banter and tall tales (The taller the better biggrin.gif ). It is expected that plenty of pints will be captured and thoroughly interrogated!

If you are up for it, it will be great to meet up.

Aye

Tom McC

Attached Files

• Attached File  Comp.jpg   63.28KB   1 downloads

#2 Ian Robertson

Ian Robertson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 526 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:38 PM

Tom,

Glad to report that I'll be there.
I'm sorry to see that you descibe the meeting as "Forum Pals". In my mind "Pals" refer to groups of extemely brave friends and workmates who joined up together and had to experience the worst deprivations of even the most basic human comfort while facing unimaginable horrors, mutilation and death...................on the other hand as we will be drinking in Dundee ohmy.gif ,................

regards

Ian

Edited by Ian Robertson, 07 December 2007 - 11:49 PM.

#3 truthergw

truthergw

Lieut-General

• R.I.P.
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 06:46 PM

Sorry to say that I will be back in Aberdeen, having missed you by about 4 days. Have a good time.

#4 Black Jock

Black Jock

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 709 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 08:09 PM

I look forward to leaving the Eastern approaches to Dundee, at Monifieth and withdraw to Broty', and with detemination close in on a few pints and severely annoy them rolleyes.gif

Tom

#5 Tom A McCluskey

Tom A McCluskey

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:19 AM

Ian,

"Glad to report that I'll be there.
I'm sorry to see that you descibe the meeting as "Forum Pals". In my mind "Pals" refer to groups of extemely brave friends and workmates who joined up together and had to experience the worst deprivations of even the most basic human comfort while facing unimaginable horrors, mutilation and death...................on the other hand as we will be drinking in Dundee ,................"
laugh.gif Good to see you'll be coming along. Ian as Dundee did not have a pals battalion, and as a point of principle you are quite correct, to that end I am going to amend it tae chums biggrin.gif

Here's a link to the Dundee Street Poet (for any ill-aquainted with Dundee vernacular, here it is in all its resplendent glory):

Tom R,

It's a pity you can't make it. I cannot get up to Dundee till in between Christmas and Hogmany, but hopefully there will be more get-togethers in the near future.

Black Jock,

Good to see in true Highland Division style that you are working on a flanking manoeuvre wink.gif

Aye

Tom McC

#6 Black Jock

Black Jock

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 709 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 01:14 PM

Yup!, "Right flanking, follow me!"

#7 Black Watch

Black Watch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,249 posts
  • Interests:Football, Music (blues mostly) My families WW1 history & the men on Carnoustie's War Memorial.

Posted 08 December 2007 - 02:08 PM

Will be there for sure.

L/Cpl N Munro 171052 1st Carnoustie Volunteers.

Neil

#8 truthergw

truthergw

Lieut-General

• R.I.P.
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 03:04 PM

QUOTE (Tom A McCluskey @ Dec 8 2007, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ian,
Here's a link to the Dundee Street Poet (for any ill-aquainted with Dundee vernacular, here it is in all its resplendent glory):

Tom McC

Here! 'ees no' bad. Izzee?

#9 Ian Robertson

Ian Robertson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 526 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (truthergw @ Dec 8 2007, 03:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Here! 'ees no' bad. Izzee?

eh thot it wuz braw, ehv no herd wurdz like dockie,dub, cundie an tollie fur agiz! An auld favrit wiz "giez twa bridies; a plen ain an an ingin ain an a!"
Mind o'thon boy that uzti hiv a column in thi tully or journil ivri week cried "Meh Dundee"? Davie Phillips wiz ez name eh think.

#10 George Armstrong Custer

George Armstrong Custer

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

Gentlemen, perhaps before ensconsing yourselves in the comfort of Jonathan Stewart's hostelry and availing yourselves of its amenities, you might care to take a stroll up to the building at 51 Queen Street. The former Regal Cinema and latterly Kingsway Bingo Hall was built in c.1870 as a drill hall for the 1st Forfarshire Artillery Volunteers, formed in 1860 to garrison Broughty Ferry Castle, and who were the origins of the Territorial RGA unit stationed at the Castle at the outbreak of the Great War. A further Great War connection is to be found inside the Hall. The panelling in the foyer and corridor areas (Mahogany, now painted) was salvaged from Kaiser William II's yacht the Homeric, after she had served as a Cunard Cruise ship following the First World War.

The former 1st Forfarshire Artillery Volunteers Hall:

The Castle itself, of course, was the base of the RGA manning it as a Coastal Defence at the outbreak of the Great War, and was equipped with antiaircraft guns and searchlights during the Second World War:

Finally, Broughty Ferry's long association with the Artillery is evidenced by the long-established Gunners Bar on King Street - within easy staggering distance of your arranged venue at the Fisherman's Tavern!

ciao
GAC

#11 Tom A McCluskey

Tom A McCluskey

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:38 PM

Hi all,

Good to see that we've almost a full battalion turnout smile.gif

GAC,

Thanks very much for the very useful information; along with the RGA Volunteers, interestingly, there was also Submarine Miners at Broughty for a while. I liked the story about the mahagony, trust the Kaiser's wood pannelling to end up in Broughty Ferry. The 5th and the 4th Bns of the Black Watch had various war stations here until both battalions went off to the front - in the order given. That last photo of the Bro'ty Castle could well be our view from The Ship wink.gif - another possible rallying point.

Aye

Tom McC

#12 Tom A McCluskey

Tom A McCluskey

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 05:57 PM

Ian,

I've noticed that the Dundonian quote referring to Forfar's potato-less answer to the Cornish pasty, is now emblazoned a T-shirt in the Dundee Tourist Information Office biggrin.gif . Thought you would enjoy the poetry.

Aye

Tom McC

#13 Ian Robertson

Ian Robertson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 06:49 PM

Tom,

Not only did I enjoy it but I e-mailed the link to my old Mum. I paid my usual Sunday visit earlier today and when I went 'round she was still chortling away! she will now post it to my Uncle in Oxford, who although he has lived most of his life in foreign parts (Oxford) is still a keen student of local history and dialect.
Many thanks for posting the link.

Regards

Ian

#14 Ian Robertson

Ian Robertson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

GAC,

Unfortunately the Regal/ bingo hall foyer was demolished many years ago. The photo you posted is the evevation around the corner in Church street. The entrance fronting Queen street is now a car showroom forecourt and the interior of the hall has been converted (I think) to provide the Garage with workshops.
I am pretty sure that Jonathan Stewart has sold the Fishermans to either a brewey or an outfit like Enterprise Inns sad.gif
I used to occassionally go in the Gunners many years ago but I must admit I find it a bit driech, perhaps we'll end up there after we have visited some of the other pubs that are within staggering distance of The Fisherman's such as The Ship, The Ferry Inn, Jolly's, The Old Anchor inn, The Royal Arch, Jaques, Doc Ferry's, The Fort, The Eagle, The Post Office bar or the Occidental; after that lot we'd propably not care much!
Very smart picture of the castle.
I take it from this post and some of your others that you are from the area, no chance of you making it for the meet?

regards

Ian

#15 George Armstrong Custer

George Armstrong Custer

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 08:48 PM

Hi Ian,
As I understand it, the foyer of the old cinema bingo hall facing onto Queen Street was not the area containing the panelling from the Kaiser's yacht, which seems to have been used in the original drill hall and would hopefully have been saved by that being made a listed building in 1990, as documented here: DrillHall

I've not heard that Jonathan Stewart has sold the Fisherman's and am sure he was still mine host as of last year when I last imbibed in that area, when he also owned the Royal Arch, also in Broughty Ferry, and The Speedwell Bar - better known as 'Mennies' - in Dundee's Perth Road.

For the benefit of those who've never been there, that list of Broughty Ferry pubs Ian gives are located in something like a square mile! It used to be said that there were more millionaires in Broughty Ferry than any area of comparable size in the UK - I guess that applies to pubs nowadays! laugh.gif

And yes, the Gunners Arms is a bit of an old man's pub, isn't it? But I'm sure the squad of Forum Pals who will hit the area on December 30 could kick-start some life into it!

I don't come from Broughty Ferry myself, but some of my paternal family originated there. Unlikely I could make the December meet but I'll keep an eye on future dates - I hope you guys will establish an ongoing Forum outpost in the area - and hopefully can catch up with you all sometime in the New Year.

Regards,
George

#16 J T Gray

J T Gray

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,306 posts
  • Interests:The 11th Essex June 1917 - March 1918<br />

Posted 10 December 2007 - 03:11 PM

Can I indulge in a little minor hi-jacking, please, folks?

While you are on the razz in Bro'ty, could you raise a glass, please, to Joseph Alexander Grimond Kirk - born Broughty, possibly a pre-war Territorial at the Castle, then emigrated. Returned as an ANZAC, went to Gallipoli, managed to wangle most of the rest of the war as a batman at HQ. Never returned to has family, went back to OZ... but was bright ginger, loved a good drink and a good fight and had a strong accent right to the end in 1979. I think he'd appreciate a glass being raised for him!

And... can I blag a big favour off someone please? If someone wanders by "Carbet Castle" at any point, could they take a snap of the house opposite, please?
(this one: http://www.dundee.ac...rbetframe.html)

That's where we think he was born - when I visited in 2000, I was fooled by the census into thinking they lived in Monifieth...

Thanks in anticipation,

Adrian

#17 Ian Robertson

Ian Robertson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 526 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:31 PM

Adrian,

I'm sure we won't have a problem raising a glass (or two) in memory of this gentleman.

I'll get a photo of this house for you soon

regards

Ian

Edited by Ian Robertson, 10 December 2007 - 04:33 PM.

#18 J T Gray

J T Gray

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 04:59 PM

Thanks, Ian. If I were closer I'd join you, but we aren't that way until summer.

Adrian

#19 Black Jock

Black Jock

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 709 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 08:15 PM

Hi Adrian,

Broughty Ferry was in the Burgh of Monifieth until 1913, what was his relation to the Grimonds of Carbet Castle?

Tom

#20 Malcolm

Malcolm

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,966 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 11:42 PM

I will be in South America but might possibly think of you all. My wife is from Dundee so next time you have a get together I might be able to get her to drive me up so she can see her school friends and I can sink a couple of beers with you all.
A toast to James Young Duncan ( see below).
Aye
Malcolm

#21 J T Gray

J T Gray

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 10:54 AM

QUOTE (Black Jock @ Dec 10 2007, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Broughty Ferry was in the Burgh of Monifieth until 1913, what was his relation to the Grimonds of Carbet Castle?

Hi Tom,

Yes, I found out about Bro'ty being in Monifieth - but not until I'd been!

Jo wasn't a relation as such, but the whole family worked for the Grimond household - first evidence 1861 census, last known four generations later in about 1955! My great grandmother was, as far as I can tell, named for the occupants of Carbet Castle as three of her four christian names were shared with staff there in 1881!

Jo's father was their coachman, his wife's mother was their nurse. I'm sure his wife was involved too, but the 1871 census has faded into illegibility. At least four of their offspring were also in service at Carbet (and Kinnettles), and the daughter of one of them worked for Amy Webber (nee Grimond) in Cambridgeshire until she died about 1955 - some record!

If you have an interest in the Grimonds I'd love to hear about it - though email/PM may be better, as this is a bit off-topic now!

Adrian

#22 Black Jock

Black Jock

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 709 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 04:22 PM

QUOTE (J T Gray @ Dec 11 2007, 10:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi Tom,

Yes, I found out about Bro'ty being in Monifieth - but not until I'd been!

Jo wasn't a relation as such, but the whole family worked for the Grimond household - first evidence 1861 census, last known four generations later in about 1955! My great grandmother was, as far as I can tell, named for the occupants of Carbet Castle as three of her four christian names were shared with staff there in 1881!

Jo's father was their coachman, his wife's mother was their nurse. I'm sure his wife was involved too, but the 1871 census has faded into illegibility. At least four of their offspring were also in service at Carbet (and Kinnettles), and the daughter of one of them worked for Amy Webber (nee Grimond) in Cambridgeshire until she died about 1955 - some record!

If you have an interest in the Grimonds I'd love to hear about it - though email/PM may be better, as this is a bit off-topic now!

Adrian

Hi Adrian

I am interested in that I worked in one of Grimonds works, there is an interesting post going on at the moment with "Dundee Fowk" click to the attached link

http://1914-1918.inv...showtopic=87490

Tom

#23 Tom A McCluskey

Tom A McCluskey

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:14 PM

GAC,

Much appreciate the reminder about the 1st Forfarshire Royal Garrison Artillery. In 1892, numbers 1st to 6th Batteries were in Dundee (1st being the 1st Position Battery) and 11th & 12th were in Broughty Ferry. HQ in Albany Quarters, Bell Street. There are plenty of photos of the batteries practicing at Barry Links. With the Haldane reforms resulting in the formation of the TF in 1908, this order of battle changes somewhat.

The Tay Division Submarine Miners Royal Engineers consisting of one Company plus a HQ (increasing to 4 Companies) was also based at Broughty Ferry. Its short lifespan lasted from formation in 1888 till 1907.

I believe there may be some photos and articles of both of these units in the museum within Broughty castle itself. Again, thanks for the reminder.

Malcolm,

Hopefully, there will be more get-togethers next year, and it will be great if you can come along.

Aye

Tom McC

#24 Black Jock

Black Jock

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 709 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 12:35 AM

QUOTE (Tom A McCluskey @ Dec 11 2007, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
GAC,

Much appreciate the reminder about the 1st Forfarshire Royal Garrison Artillery. In 1892, numbers 1st to 6th Batteries were in Dundee (1st being the 1st Position Battery) and 11th & 12th were in Broughty Ferry. HQ in Albany Quarters, Bell Street. There are plenty of photos of the batteries practicing at Barry Links. With the Haldane reforms resulting in the formation of the TF in 1908, this order of battle changes somewhat.

The Tay Division Submarine Miners Royal Engineers consisting of one Company plus a HQ (increasing to 4 Companies) was also based at Broughty Ferry. Its short lifespan lasted from formation in 1888 till 1907.

I believe there may be some photos and articles of both of these units in the museum within Broughty castle itself. Again, thanks for the reminder.

Malcolm,

Hopefully, there will be more get-togethers next year, and it will be great if you can come along.

Aye

Tom McC

I wonder if the Castle has other relics not on display that would be of interest?

tom

#25 George Armstrong Custer

George Armstrong Custer

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 14 December 2007 - 12:43 PM

QUOTE (Tom A McCluskey @ Dec 11 2007, 08:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In 1892, numbers 1st to 6th Batteries were in Dundee (1st being the 1st Position Battery) and 11th & 12th were in Broughty Ferry. HQ in Albany Quarters, Bell Street. There are plenty of photos of the batteries practicing at Barry Links. With the Haldane reforms resulting in the formation of the TF in 1908, this order of battle changes somewhat.

Thanks for that detail, Tom. Do you happen to know what the unit designations were for the establishment at Broughty Castle after it became a TF? I'd also be interested to learn if you have anything on how this TF from the Castle went to war after 1914 - was it broken up and dispersed amongst other established or new RGA units or did go off to France intact?

Tom [Black Jock] - interesting point. I know a lot of museum authorities have some real treasure troves of military material which is kept permanently in storage, never to be viewed by the public. This seems particularly true of some local authority museum trusts, where an element of pc has led to an emphasis on things like the social and gender aspects of local history, with the military artefacts in their collections often all but excluded. I guess any military material which could be on display at Broughty but isn't would probably be held by the Dundee Museum and Art Galleries at the McManus Galleries in Dundee city center.

ciao,
GAC