Pete the Water Carrier

Posted Image

#1927 truthergw

truthergw

Lieut-General

• R.I.P.
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

I have many years experience of industrial tribunals. Several wins under my belt. My rates are very reasonable. Highest bid gets me in their corner.

#1928 George Armstrong Custer

George Armstrong Custer

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

Well I hardly think I've any need to worry - after all, a post it note on a public forum is surely more than adequate notice to the miscreant that his contract has been terminated!

George van Hoogstraten

#1929 PMHart

PMHart

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:06 PM

Sniff!

What am I going to do now! I'd been in training for fetching him lots of pints of girlie lager at the GWF Conference as well!

Sacked Pete

#1930 Ewan Johnstone

Ewan Johnstone

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 144 posts
  • Interests:6th Battalion Seaforth Highlanders, and their actions in and around Arras, Roeux and the Chemical Works, April - May 1917.

The war in Mesopotamia.

The Indian Expeditionary Forces

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:10 PM

Pardon (or don't, depending on prevailing mood) my complete ignorance, but where is the Gunners? Being an ex gunner, sounds like a place I should have heard of.

#1931 dundeesown

dundeesown

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

King Street Broughty Ferry,
They even let UNEMPLOYED Pete in.
Gary

#1932 George Armstrong Custer

George Armstrong Custer

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 08 March 2012 - 09:36 PM

UNEMPLOYED Pete

Too right, Gary - and the only chance Pete has of drawing a final salary is if Colin (KOF) comes along and draws it for him.

George Shylock

#1933 Ian Robertson

Ian Robertson

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 526 posts

Posted 09 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

Sorry lads I've not been on this site for a wee while. Unfortunately I won't make it on the 17th as I am at a formal do that night. Have a good one and I'll catch up with you all soon.

regards
Ian

#1934 Black Watch

Black Watch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,243 posts
  • Interests:Football, Music (blues mostly) My families WW1 history & the men on Carnoustie's War Memorial.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 04:59 PM

Looking for info on Private Wm McLaren 3/2752 8th BW.

Have checked CWGC, SDGW, MIC. but no info there except for bare details, also no service record that I could find. Can someone check Wauchope for me please. He was a Dundee lad who for some reason ended up in the 8th Battalion enlisting at Leven.
He either died (MIC) or was KIA (SDGW) 19/10/1916. Family legend has it that he was underage when he joined up so his age of 21 at time of death may not be correct.

Ewan, The Gunners is in King Street, Broughty Ferry.

http://maps.google.c...006539&t=h&z=18

Cheers

Neil

As they were the only BW unit in 9th Division this is most likely a pic of the 8th around the time of his death.

#1935 truthergw

truthergw

Lieut-General

• R.I.P.
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:50 PM

Wauchope says KIA 19/10/16.

#1936 Black Watch

Black Watch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,243 posts
  • Interests:Football, Music (blues mostly) My families WW1 history & the men on Carnoustie's War Memorial.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

Thanks Tom, I forgot to mention that the pic above is titled

"The Battle of Transloy Ridges, Somme, France. Men of the Black Watch resting by the roadside by Contalmaison Wood."

The battle officially ended on the 18th, the day before William was killed, anything in Wauchope about the 19th?

#1937 Locheelad

Locheelad

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Re WW1 mainly the Somme especially around Morval. Have just tarted up an old house over there, check out www.lochnagar.fr Member of WFA Tayside and recently studied for post grad MA in First World War Studies. Re work - ops guy for Kappa (shirt sponsors Fulham, Derby etc )

Posted 12 March 2012 - 06:40 PM

Just to remind everyone that the next meeting of WFA Tayside is this Saturday ie 17th March in the usual location The Glasite Hall, King Street Dundee. Kick off 2.30pm prompt.

Branch member Steve Johnston will give the first airing to a talk entitled "Fragments from the Ypres Salient".

If you are interested in WW1 why not come along, hear the talk, have a cup of tea and a sandwich and participate in the raffle where there are lots of goodies to be won!

Regards - hope everybody is well and behaving!

Bob

#1938 truthergw

truthergw

Lieut-General

• R.I.P.
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 12 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

The 8th were holding a position on the 19th which had been taken by their sidekicks, the Camerons. here is Wauchope,

" At 5.30 AM on the 19th, the Germans started a counter attack by bombing.; on the right D company easily held its own, an attack with a flammenwerfer being stopped by Pte Tait with a well aimed Mills bomb. On the left things went badly, the South Africans were bombed out of their trench and crowded into C company's line, completely blocking the trench. The German bombers were close after them and, hurling their bombs into the overcrowded trench, inflicted heavy casualties on C company. 2nd Lt Anderson was killed while trying to organise a counter attack. and the Co, Commander and CSM were both wounded. During the confusion which followed the Germans succeeded in capturing C company's line and pressed down on to A, but a counter attack, headed by 2nd Lts Campsie and Craven, drove them back; Craven was unfortunately killed and Campsie wounded.
At 7.30 AM Captain Taylor brought up B company which had been in support and by vigorous bombing attacks succeeded in recapturing C company's line, with the result that by noon the 8th had retaken the whole of its line, though touch with the Sout Africans was not regained until 5 pm, when the whole position was reoccupied."

Resume of the rest.

It p**ed down all day and the trenches were in " an appalling state". Early on the 20th, they were pulled out for reorganization, relieved by 12 Royal Scots.
That's about it Tom. I got your man's name from list of men killed there is no mention of him in the text. About what we expect. My guess would be that Pte Tait was decorated for bowffing the flammenwerfer so got a mention. If there is any more you would like, just whistle.
I may just be at the Kail Kirk on Saturday.

#1939 Black Watch

Black Watch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 13 March 2012 - 12:53 AM

Great stuff thanks for that Tom. Hope to see you at the Kirk on Saturday then :)

#1940 Black Jock

Black Jock

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 709 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:11 PM

Just to remind everyone that the next meeting of WFA Tayside is this Saturday ie 17th March in the usual location The Glasite Hall, King Street Dundee. Kick off 2.30pm prompt.

Branch member Steve Johnston will give the first airing to a talk entitled "Fragments from the Ypres Salient".

If you are interested in WW1 why not come along, hear the talk, have a cup of tea and a sandwich and participate in the raffle where there are lots of goodies to be won!

Regards - hope everybody is well and behaving!

Bob

Bob,

We are both looking forward to big Steve's talk, and of course Mrs Knights famous fruit cake.

#1941 Black Watch

Black Watch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

Wauchope says KIA 19/10/16.

Another question Tom, can you pinpoint the area?

#1942 Black Watch

Black Watch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

Couldn't manage the talk today unfortunately but I'm still on for the Gunners

#1943 Black Watch

Black Watch

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:02 PM

Just spent 30 mins in Gunners listening to some god awful Irish band. No one else showed up. Not happy.

#1944 Black Jock

Black Jock

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 709 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

Thoroughly enjoyed Steveís talk yesterday on Ypres and the Salient throughout the Great War. It was really well attended by the members, including a few new ones and visitors.

Tom

#1945 jlang

jlang

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 118 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

Hi Neil

I've just sent you a PM.

Cheers

Jim

#1946 Lindsay G Cowan

Lindsay G Cowan

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

Hi Neil

Just thought I would let you know that although my great-uncle, William McLaren was from Dundee, he and his brothers worked in one of the Fife mines. I have an image of him and some of his mates finishing their shift one day, and then heading off for the enlisting office at Leven. Thanks to you and the others for their assistance with this background that I previously didnít have, especially the photo. I have no idea what William looked like as there are no family photos of him but it would be great to think heís one of them in the photo.

Keep up the tremendous work lads and Iíd love to come along to one of your talks sometime.

Best regards

Lindsay

lack Watch' timestamp='1331398743' post='1723742']
Looking for info on Private Wm McLaren 3/2752 8th BW.

Have checked CWGC, SDGW, MIC. but no info there except for bare details, also no service record that I could find. Can someone check Wauchope for me please. He was a Dundee lad who for some reason ended up in the 8th Battalion enlisting at Leven.
He either died (MIC) or was KIA (SDGW) 19/10/1916. Family legend has it that he was underage when he joined up so his age of 21 at time of death may not be correct.

Ewan, The Gunners is in King Street, Broughty Ferry.

http://maps.google.c...006539&t=h&z=18

Cheers

Neil

As they were the only BW unit in 9th Division this is most likely a pic of the 8th around the time of his death.
[/quote]

#1947 truthergw

truthergw

Lieut-General

• R.I.P.
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Another question Tom, can you pinpoint the area?

I was in Dundee last weekend ( Well, Birkie, anyway) but was not up to the trip into town. Aches and pains developed into full blown lumbago and I am home again in a right old two and eight. This is not a battle I have read much about, Tom,but as far as I can make out and checking with Ewing, it was a 9th div attack on the Butte of Warlencourt. The fighting was for Snag Trench and the Watch were in the Flers line. The battle was not a great success and the Div took a battering. The South Africans in particular seemed to have been very badly hit.

#1948 dundeesown

dundeesown

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,788 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

Locheelad you are how old. :whistle:

Happy birthday ya auld B****R :thumbsup:

Gary.

#1949 Locheelad

Locheelad

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 266 posts
  • Interests:Re WW1 mainly the Somme especially around Morval. Have just tarted up an old house over there, check out www.lochnagar.fr Member of WFA Tayside and recently studied for post grad MA in First World War Studies. Re work - ops guy for Kappa (shirt sponsors Fulham, Derby etc )

Posted 25 May 2012 - 07:43 PM

Evening all!

My sincere apols for the late notification but only back from holiday about 3 hrs ago after a fortnight wandering the leafy lanes of Morval.

Anyway normal service (was it ever normal) has resumed.

Tomorrow sees WFA Tayside Branch stalwart Tam " Engelbert Humperdinck" McCluskey gives his Schwaben reboubt talk to WFA Tayside, normal place normal time. After he finishes he will fly to Baku in a bid to bring the Eurovision home to Monifieth by giving a blast of Roses are Red in Picardie.

Any queries, thoughts, please ring me at home - 01382 775000.

Would be great to see you there. Everybody invited and made welcome.

Tickets for the Conference in September will go on sale. £15 each - what a deal. The ticket seller has called off so looking for a volunteer .......... GAZ T WHERE ARE YOU ??!!!

Bob

#1950 Locheelad

Locheelad

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 266 posts

Posted 27 May 2012 - 03:18 PM

Superb day yesterday at WFA Tayside.

Auld tam did us all proud with his Schwaben Redoubt talk. Well done Tom.

The turnout also was excellent considering the sizzling weather.

Tickets for the WFA Tayside conference are now on sale at £15 each. The conf is on 1st September and has 3 main speakers ie Pete Hart, Richard van Emden and Charles Messenger. All teas coffees and lunch included. Email me for further details if you are interested.

Bob