Aden War Memorial

10 replies to this topic

#1 gdadwatts

gdadwatts

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:17 AM

The Heliopolis (Aden) War memorial in Egypt is dedicated to the soldiers of the Commonwealth who lost their lives fighting in and around Aden during the Great War and, who, have no known graves. It was erected following the abandonment, by the British, of Aden in 1967 and the subsequent damage to the memorial tablets formerly housed in the Prince of Wales Pier at Steamer Point, Aden. My interest is in research of a "forgotten" disastrous operation in July 1915 which involved units of the Indian Army and the 1st/4th Brecknockshire battalion of the South Wales Borderers.
The original tablets at Steamer Point lined the walls of the entrance hall and contained well over 600 names. I have obtained photographs of three of the tablets (Nos 2, 3 & 8?) and these contain 216 names (all Indian Army).
Does anyone have photographs taken before 1967 of the remaining tablets?
All of the names (except 1) on the photographs that I have are also recorded on the Heliopolis (Aden) Memorial which contains 611 names.

#2 Neil Clark

Neil Clark

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 04:59 PM

Interesting thread for me.... I believe that the 1/4th Buffs (East Kent Regiment) were there also during the Great War. Are there any Buffs on the thing? I'm afraid I can't help you with regard to photos.

All the very best
Neil

#3 Michael

Michael

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 08:54 PM

Neil

On 25/9/1915 the 4th Buffs were involved in their first major engagement, supporting an attack on Waht. Two men died of wounds and six died of heat and exhaustion. Albert Steadman (from Ashford) and Edward Dyer (from Dover) were both in the latter category. They were originally buried at Assela but I suppose their graves were lost and their names are on the memorial. The other six were buried at Sheikh Othman. Those are the only two Buffs on the memorial.

Mick

#4 Neil Clark

Neil Clark

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 09:02 PM

Mike,

Thanks, I would like a photo of Albert Steadman's name and a good picture of the whole thing. Are you aware if this isavailable anywhere? I have quite a lot on Steadman, I believe his name is actually mentioned in Moody (Regt History), if I remember right it states he died of heat stroke (bless him). I know that Maggie Stephenson-Knight (Dover War Memorial Project) would also like DYER too.

Assela where exactly is that? can it be found on Google Earth?

It's a shame that the 4th Buffs during the Great War has been so damned neglected by historians even more so than the 5th Buffs!

#5 Michael

Michael

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Neil Clark @ Feb 27 2008, 09:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Assela where exactly is that? can it be found on Google Earth?

I can't find it either. Their CWGC entries state that they are buried in Maala Cemetery. My info came from the war diary

Mick

#6 LST_164

LST_164

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,400 posts
  • Interests:WW1 Anglesey Casualties

Posted 27 February 2008 - 10:46 PM

[quote name='gdadwatts' date='Feb 27 2008, 11:17 AM' post='869775']
My interest is in research of a "forgotten" disastrous operation in July 1915 which involved units of the Indian Army and the 1st/4th Brecknockshire battalion of the South Wales Borderers.

Hi,
I think you mean the 1/1st Brecknockshire Battalion SWB, and the Lahej Expedition?

The Brecknocks were the only Territorial battalion of the SWB. Would the Regt Museum at Brecon possibly have pictures of the panels you need? Or maybe even the Commonwealth War Graves Commission HQ at Maidenhead?

LST_164

#7 gdadwatts

gdadwatts

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 February 2008 - 11:17 PM

I agree 1st/1st Brecknockshire Battalion. I did ask the regimental museum for info on the so-called Lahej Incident but they were not very forthcoming suggesting I should visit sometime. On the Heliopolis (Aden) memorial there are 14 Brecknocks with dates of death between 4th and 10th July 1915. This suggests that the circumstances were so dire that their bodies were not recovered and thus were listed as "no known grave".

#8 gdadwatts

gdadwatts

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 10:51 AM

Both Steadman and Dyer are listed on the Heliopolis (Aden) Memorial. Details as below:

STEADMAN, ALBERT

Private,

T/2289.

The Buffs (East Kent Regiment) 4th Bn (B Coy)

Date of death - 25/9/1915.

DYER EDWARD GEORGE

Sergeant

T/504.

The Buffs (East Kent Regiment).1st/4th Bn

Date of death - 25/9/1915.

#9 gdadwatts

gdadwatts

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 February 2008 - 11:07 AM

In September 1915 the 62/Punjabis and 4/Buffs advanced from Sheikh Othman and engaged the Turks at Assela and Waht (small villages near to Lahej). A short, sharp action followed in which an early British advantage was reversed when the Turks brought down shrapnel fire. The column retreated to Sheikh Othman and successfully beat off the pursuers.The flying column went out again in January 1916 meeting the Turks at Hatum. Again early British successes were not sustained and the Turks successfully counter attacked. However, the column clearly acted with discipline and efficiency as the Turks sustained some 200 casualties whereas British losses were under fifty.Active patrolling went on throughout the spring with the flying column making almost daily excursions from Sheikh Othman in April and May.

#10 gdadwatts

gdadwatts

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 7 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 10:49 AM

I have seen reference to the CWGC list of graves at Maalla, Aden before. Where can I get access to this list? I have trolled the CWGC site but can see no reference to Maalla. Any help gratefully received.

#11 Terry Denham

Terry Denham

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 10,306 posts

Posted 03 March 2008 - 11:30 AM

Look up the following...

MAALA CEMETERY
MAALA MEMORIAL No.1
MAALA MEMORIAL No.2

CWGC also looks after the Non-World War Graves in Silent Valley Cemetery on behalf of MoD