15 replies to this topic

#1 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 09:36 AM

Hi,

Can anyone tell me, please, what C Battery, 175th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

were doing etc on Sunday 17 June 1917. I gather that they were in position south of Ypres but any further information
would he helpful.

Many thanks, regards,

Graeme

#2 davidfegga

davidfegga

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Researching the history of 175 (Staffordshire) Brigade RFA.

Posted 29 February 2008 - 01:29 PM

QUOTE (Graeme Clarke @ Feb 29 2008, 10:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi,

Can anyone tell me, please, what C Battery, 175th Brigade, Royal Field Artillery

were doing etc on Sunday 17 June 1917. I gather that they were in position south of Ypres but any further information
would he helpful.

Many thanks, regards,

Graeme

Hi Graeme.

I've been researching 175 brigade for a couple of years now as my Granddad an other relatives served in it. on this date they had just moved to new positions near Plugstreet map 28 SW ,ref U8C and D.

From the war diary..." Morning normal, B/175, C/175 subjected to 10 minutes intense bombardment with 15cm and a few 10.5 cm shells. C/175 3 killed, 1 wounded, 1 gun out of action." They withdrew to U13a 5.9, during which they suffered 3 more casualties including one officer, 2nd Lt Allen wounded in the leg.

The war diary never mentions O.R's by name but the three men fom C battery killed were.
Bert Griffiths Gnr 686472
Charles Stamp Gnr 686335
John Lewis Gnr 685781

Hope this helps, anything else about the brigade I can help with let me know.

Dave

#3 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:18 PM

Dave,

Many thanks for the help, the information is spot on, just what I needed.

(How could you leave sunny Brownhills {I'm from Walsall Wood} !!

Regards,

Graeme

#4 davidfegga

davidfegga

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 223 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 11:22 PM

QUOTE (Graeme Clarke @ Feb 29 2008, 07:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dave,

Many thanks for the help, the information is spot on, just what I needed.

(How could you leave sunny Brownhills {I'm from Walsall Wood} !!

Regards,

Graeme

Yes it was a tough choice, Brownhills or Melbourne.! mmm biggrin.gif

#5 Mogg

Mogg

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 07:02 AM

Could anyone help on this one, granddad died 9th May 1918 in Flanders.
His name is Harold Matthew Mercer serving in the Royal Fild Artillery (686477)
It is difficult to read on his service record, it looks like he was serving in the C/175 Brigade and was killed in action. just wanted to know his whereabouts on that day.
Sorry but I'm new to this information, not sure where to start.
Regards
Don Mogg.

#6 davidfegga

davidfegga

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:01 AM

Hi Don

C/175 were in action that day near the village of Agny, just to the south of Arras , Bombardier Harold Mercer was killed along with James Dooris who was a shoeing Smith, both men being from Liverpool. I may be wrong on this but judging by their service numbers it seems like both men were territorials. While the war diary doesn't mention any casualties that day , it does state that the "enemy fired 70 gas shell on brigade areas" so that may be related to their deaths.

I have a website on 175 brigade. click on the link below.

https://sites.google.../175brigaderfa/

Dave

P.S. If you've any more info on your Granddad, I'd like to know, and would add it to the site and roll of honour.

#7 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:24 AM

Morning Dave

(from bleak Walsall Wood).

I wonder if you could post the War Diary, please for the period 1 to 7 July 1916.

I am researching a Walsall man DoW in this period, pic below for your web-site.

Attached File  rider s 5.jpg   15.47KB   0 downloads

Regards,

Graeme

#8 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:32 AM

Hi again,

I have another pic for you

Gunner 44188 Robert William Williams

Attached File  williams wr.jpg   42.39KB   6 downloads

Newspapers reported that the was wounded on 16 June 1917 however all the notices in the ‘In Memoriam’ in the Walsall Observer
recorded that Robert was wounded on Friday 1 June 1917.

I wonder if you could post the War Diary entries, please for the the 1 June 1917 and the 16 June 1917 to see which is more likely.

Many thanks, again,

Graeme

#9 davidfegga

davidfegga

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:00 AM

Hi Graeme
How's it up "The Wood"!
The war diary for that week is pretty sparse considering (or maybe because) of the action that was taking place. A and B/175 were in action 400 yards east of Albert and 200 yards north of the Albert- Bapaume road. C and D/175 in Authillie Wood. The brigade were supporting the attack by The Tyneside Scottish on La Boiselle, then the follow up attacks by the 19th Division which finally captured the village. Brigade were relieved on 6th July after being in action for 72 hours continuously, after which batteries were relieved for 2 hours at a time until finally relieved .
The only noted casualty in the diary at this time is a Lt Hickman. However there must have been other casualties, as in Hickmans records is a note from a gunner Smith of A/175 in hospital on 3rd July, who notes seeing Hickman and a gunner sitting under a tree near HQ, when they were hit by a shell which blew Hickman in two, and badly wounded the gunner who was stretchered off.
This could have been Sidney Rider B/175 who later died of wounds? Great pic will get that on the site.

Regards
Dave

#10 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:07 AM

Dave,

many thanks for the info.

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial but is it possible to post the actual details of the entry. I like to put the actual WD entry into my research.

Soz, and cheers.

BTW still got a bit of snow on the front garden !!!!!

Regards,

Graeme

#11 davidfegga

davidfegga

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:22 AM

In regards of gunner Williams.

1st Jun 1917. All batteries of the brigade in position on T17b and d (Ploegsteert sheet 28 SW4,Brigade attached to 3rd Australian division for the Messines offensive).

" Batteries heavily shelled with gas, A/175 hit by 15cm shelling I pit caught fire. HQ at T17a hit by gas shelling, several men sick. A/175 hit by much 15cm,position caught fire,ammo blown up,four guns destroyed, 1 casualty. Several of our ammo dumps blown up during day. HQ heavily shelled by two hostile 15cm"

16th June
"A and B/175 moved into new positions near Fusilier Farm U8c" No mention of enemy shelling or casualties, but the war diary can be a bit vague at times.

17th June

." Morning normal, B/175, C/175 subjected to 10 minutes intense bombardment with 15cm and a few 10.5 cm shells. C/175 3 killed, 1 wounded, 1 gun out of action." They withdrew to U13a 5.9, during which they suffered 3 more casualties including one officer, 2nd Lt Allen wounded in the leg.

From CWGC, Williams is from B/175 so 17th June could be likely?

Dave

#12 davidfegga

davidfegga

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 223 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:24 AM

Dave,

many thanks for the info.

Sorry to be a pain in the proverbial but is it possible to post the actual details of the entry. I like to put the actual WD entry into my research.

Soz, and cheers.

BTW still got a bit of snow on the front garden !!!!!

Regards,

Graeme

Will do but not near them at the moment, will do that tomorrow. Nice and sunny here!

#13 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:38 AM

Hi Dave,

many thanks for Williams, really appreciate that.

Regards,

Graeme

#14 davidfegga

davidfegga

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 223 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:04 AM

Graeme

The full text from the W.D for those periods.

Albert 1st July

6.30am. Bombardment commenced.
7.30 am. British infantry crossed No Man's Land to attack the German positions east of Albert. This Brigade co-operated with the Tyneside Scottish, the zone allotted to it being the whole of La Boisselle salient and a strip about 750 yards wide running from the salient in a N.E. Direction.
The infantry attack was greatly held up by machine guns, which the enemy brought up from deep dug outs.

5th July:
During the last few days our batteries were chiefly employed in preventing fresh troops and supplies reaching the La Boisselle garrison, and assisting the attack on the village by the 19th division, which finally fell on the 5th July. Night time duties were barrages on the approaches from Pozieres.

6th July:
Brigade relieved by 89th brigade 19th division. B and C/175 went into rest at Dernancourt , A and D/175 stayed in position. During the operation on 1st July , 2nd Lt Hickman was killed, and 2nd Lt J.Crumbie wounded. Both were liaison officers attached to the infantry.
From the morning of the 1st July the 18Pdr batteries were firing continuously for 72 hours after which batteries were relieved from firing by two hours at a time, but the barrage was continued up to the time of relief by 89th brigade.

June 1917

1st. Batteries heavily gas shelled by the enemy . Some gas shelling of HQ at T17a 0.3. Several men sick but no casualties. Hostile shelling much heavier, several of our ammunition dumps being blown up during the day. A/175 registered by enemy battery, 15cm. One pit caught fire.

16th . C/175 moved forward to new positions at U8c in order to increase range, A/175 and B/175 moved into new positions at Fusilier Farm U8c.
3 enemy aeroplane flew over these new positions and opened fire on the men with machine guns.

17th. Morning normal B/175, C/175 subjected to 10 minutes intense bombardment with 15cm. And a few 10.5cm. B/175, 5 wounded, C/175 3 killed, 1 wounded, 1 gun destroyed.
B/175 ordered to withdraw to U7c24.18, C/175 to U13a 5.9 C.175 suffered 3 more casualties during the move, including one officer, 2nd Lt Allen.

Casualties for the month of June: 7 O.R's killed, 69 wounded, 4 gassed, 5 died of wounds.

Officers, 4 wounded, 1 gassed.

;

#15 Graeme Clarke

Graeme Clarke

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,437 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 07:15 AM

Morning Dave,

Really appreciate your time and efforts.

have been looking on Ancestry and found Henry Hewitt with a pic of him and his grave

http://trees.ancestr...blic:PersonPage

He's in the 175RFA.

Regards,

Graeme

#16 Mogg

Mogg

Sergeant

• Members2
  • 39 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 11:00 AM

Hi Don

C/175 were in action that day near the village of Agny, just to the south of Arras , Bombardier Harold Mercer was killed along with James Dooris who was a shoeing Smith, both men being from Liverpool. I may be wrong on this but judging by their service numbers it seems like both men were territorials. While the war diary doesn't mention any casualties that day , it does state that the "enemy fired 70 gas shell on brigade areas" so that may be related to their deaths.

I have a website on 175 brigade. click on the link below.

https://sites.google.../175brigaderfa/

Dave

P.S. If you've any more info on your Granddad, I'd like to know, and would add it to the site and roll of honour.

Thank you very much for the information, I will send you what I have on Harold Mercer
Regards
Don