Posted 19 March 2008 - 02:03 pm
At first the goats were purchased by the Regiment, but in 1844 Queen Victoria began the custom of donating the animals from the Royal herd at Windsor . The herd of white long-haired goats had been a present from the Shah of Persia on Queen Victoria’s Accession. King Edward VIII later presented the herd to the London Zoo. From then on, only goats donated by the Sovereign would be true Regimental Goats. That the traffic was not strictly one-way is demonstrated by the purchase in 1890 of some Kashmir goats by Lieutenant-Colonel E.S. Creek of the 2nd Battalion, then stationed in Lucknow. Having seen a herd of fine white long-haired goats while on the road to Tibet, and having heard that the Royal herd was in need of fresh blood, he communicated with Sir Fleetwood Edwards, a Court official, and received the answer that the Queen would be pleased to have some of these goats. With the aid of the Resident in Kashmir and the private secretary to the Viceroy, three animals were obtained and conveyed to their destination. In a note from Windsor dated March 16th, 1891, Major A. Bigge thanked the Battalion on behalf of the Queen.
Quote from an article by Dr HJ Krijnen in Y Ddraig Goch.