What WW1 books are you reading?

2360 replies to this topic

#1126 Mark Wilkie

Mark Wilkie

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 04:49 AM

Just finished "Urgent Imperial Service: South African Forces in German South West Africa 1914-1915" by Gerald L'Ange. A very interesting read.

#1127 MartinBennitt

MartinBennitt

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,686 posts
  • Interests:military history, esp WWI, current affairs, cinema, playing golf badly

Posted 28 November 2011 - 07:29 AM

I'm now reading a paperback I picked up in a second-hand bookshop called 'Socks, Cigarettes and Shipwrecks, a Family's War Letters 1914-18', edited by Félicité Nesham, a grand-daughter of vicar's wife Gertrude Berryman, whose five sons all saw active service and survived, one in the RAMC, one in the Navy, two in the British infantry and one in the Indian Army. She kept all their letters home, and very interesting they are as a depiction of the thoughts and conditions of the time, with descriptions of Jutland, the Western Front and Mesopotamia. But oh for some proper footnotes -- I am having to scurry to other references to try to find out exactly where they all were at any particular time. I might yet be seeking some assistance from Forum pals.

cheers Martin B

#1128 blackmaria

blackmaria

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Collecting original copies of Great War memoirs.

Posted 04 December 2011 - 10:03 AM

Just finished "The breaking of the storm " by C.A.L. Brownlow.A fantastic memoir from an Officer on a R.F.A Ammunition column during the first five months of the war.This period of the B.E.F's War on the Western front fascinates me and fortunately there are quite a few excellent memoirs written both by Officers and Other ranks that cover that part of the conflict.

#1129 SWorrall

SWorrall

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Military history
    Walking
    Photography

Posted 04 December 2011 - 11:37 AM

'Writing the Great War' describing how the Official History came to be written, how the authors were selected and how Edmonds came to be installed as author and series editor.

Simon.

#1130 micks

micks

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 145 posts

Posted 04 December 2011 - 01:53 PM

Heading back to Gallipoli in March.
At the moment I have my head in Stephen
Chambers Suvla ,August Offensive.

Micks

#1131 hazel clark

hazel clark

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,471 posts
  • Interests:1st and 8th Seaforth
    1st Gordons 1918.
    History in general but European in particular

Posted 04 December 2011 - 06:55 PM

Just finished "Myths of the Great War" which was awful and i reviewed elsewhere but also read Lyn McDonald"s "1915" which, although good, did not find as absorbing as her other books. . Am in the middle now of "Guns of August" - an old book by Barbara Tuchman. I had not read it previously and am impressed[ . It is about the genesis of the war and the first month or so.
h.C.quote name='blackmaria' timestamp='1322993022' post='1677127']
Just finished "The breaking of the storm " by C.A.L. Brownlow.A fantastic memoir from an Officer on a R.F.A Ammunition column during the first five months of the war.This period of the B.E.F's War on the Western front fascinates me and fortunately there are quite a few excellent memoirs written both by Officers and Other ranks that cover that part of the conflict.
[/quote]

#1132 MartinBennitt

MartinBennitt

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,686 posts
  • Interests:military history, esp WWI, current affairs, cinema, playing golf badly

Posted 07 December 2011 - 01:33 PM

Just started 'Haig, A Reappraisal 70 Years On', a collection of essays essentially rescuing Haig's reputation by different historians. Edited by Brian Bond and Nigel Cave. The 70 years is the time since Haig's death (it was published in 1999).

cheers Martin B

#1133 Michelle Young

Michelle Young

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,703 posts
  • Interests:1914, 1915-the forgotten battlefields- scoring and watching cricket, walking, cooking,real ale, red wine, single malt, motorcycles, and my family

Posted 07 December 2011 - 03:13 PM

Reading Blood and Iron, the letters of Hugh Montagu Butterworth, 9th Rifle Brigade. (ed Jon Cooksey) KIA 25th September 1915 at Bellewaarde. Only one criticism of an otherwise excellent book is the inadequate map showing the actions on the day Hugh was killed.

Michelle

#1134 Harry Flashman V.C.

Harry Flashman V.C.

Second Lieutenant

• Members3
  • 82 posts

Posted 09 December 2011 - 12:02 AM

Somme Mud by E P F Lynch

an absolute cracking read...........

#1135 MJohnson

MJohnson

Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Love cricket , rugby , reading , walking ( limited now ) real ale Wiltshire villages and pubs .<br />Watching my grandsons playing cricket , better than I could . <br /><br />

Posted 09 December 2011 - 07:05 PM

The Great War Diaries of Brigadier General Alexander Johnston 1914-1917- Edwin Astill . Am enjoying it very much

#1136 Matt Richards

Matt Richards

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 789 posts
  • Interests:History and militaria of the World Wars, and the Royal Engineers in the Great War.

Posted 24 December 2011 - 02:51 PM

Reading "Belfast Boys"!

#1137 MartinBennitt

MartinBennitt

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 03:25 PM

Just started 'Le Jour de Deuil de l'Armée Française', as featured on this thread. A pretty weighty tome which looks like it covers the ground extremely thoroughly. Will add my views in due course, which will probably be well into next year

cheers Martin B

#1138 Harper

Harper

Second Lieutenant

• Old Sweats
  • 104 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:25 PM

The last two books which I read were "Mud, Blood and Poppycock" by Gordon Corrigan. This is a fascinating, but occasionally infuriating, reassessment of the war.The high level overview avoids getting bogged down in the battle by battle detail.

The previous book was "Crack Hardy" by Stephen Dando-Collins about 3 Australian brothers at Gallipoli, Flanders and the Somme. This book sheds light on the day to day life of the infantry.

Both books are worth reading.

#1139 nthornton19179

nthornton19179

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 796 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:09 PM

Just finished 'Fire-eater - Memoirs of a VC' by Alfred Pollard VC,MC & bar, DCM.

Couldn't put it down once I'd stared it. A great read.

Neil

#1140 hesmond

hesmond

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweat
  • 1,111 posts
  • Interests:Great War in general ,collector 40+ years battlefield exploreing over 40 years collecting photo albums ,paper work, diarys letters and medals . General intrest Pas de Calais,and Northern France, Grandfather served 4th Hussars Grandad Joseph Ashley 1914/15 along side his brother .Exploring Normandy ,Agincourt ,Crecy, battlefields far and wide and discovering all aspects of Pas De Calais

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:43 PM

A life Apart by Alan Thomas ,£2.50 on ABE first edition super book

#1141 blackmaria

blackmaria

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 466 posts
  • Interests:Collecting original copies of Great War memoirs.

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Totally agree, " A Life Apart" is one of the best Great War memoirs.I've just finished "On the road from Mons with an Army Service Corps Train" by "It's Commander"(A.Clifton-Shelton).An interesting book that tells of the difficulties of supplying the Troops and the confusion caused by the retreat to the Marne and the trials faced by the A.S.C whilst advancing to the Aisne in 1914.I will be rereading "The phantom Brigade" by A.P.G Vivian next, which is a superb memoir
and richly deserves to be reprinted(Ive just managed to aquire a First edition copy in the rare dust jacket for under twenty quid...Yipee!)

#1142 truthergw

truthergw

Lieut-General

• R.I.P.
  • 10,178 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:29 PM

I am reading Ludendorff's War Memoirs in conjunction with another little postwar book of his, " Warfare and Politics". ( Not to mention a couple of dictionaries and a grammar).

#1143 Will I Davies

Will I Davies

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 588 posts
  • Interests:Walking, fishing, rugby, football, jogging (if in mood)....WW1 military history, reading and the rest is private!!!

Posted 04 January 2012 - 08:49 PM

Just received a copy of "Duty Done". on the history of the 2nd RWF in 1914 to 1918 by Grumpy :rolleyes: .

Will

#1144 LiamS

LiamS

Captain

• Old Sweats
  • 306 posts
  • Interests:History,Classical Music,Literature

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:31 PM

Engrossed in The Peacemakers by Margaret MacMillan which is easily the best war book I have read in the last six months.

#1145 Glen Family

Glen Family

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:40 AM

Europe's Last Summer
Rites of Spring - great reference to understand the mindset of Europe in the years leading up to 1914
First World War - by John Keegan
Paris 1919

#1146 anneca

anneca

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Family History, The Great War, Gardening, Writing, Classical Music

Posted 06 February 2012 - 02:45 PM

A J P Taylor's 'The First World War - An Illustrated History'. I'm half way through this and find it extremely interesting - the photographs are also amazing. I was already a 1/4 way through 'Grey Wolf' - The Escape of Adolf Hitler by Dunstan & Williams, when I put it down to read John Buchan's 'The Complete Richard Hannay Stories'. Got through three of these before starting AJP Taylor's book which is so compelling I'll finish it before returning to the Hannay Stories then Grey Wolf. (not enough hours in the day I fear)

#1147 MartinBennitt

MartinBennitt

Brigadier-General

• Old Sweats
  • 2,686 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

A J P Taylor's 'The First World War - An Illustrated History'. I'm half way through this and find it extremely interesting - the photographs are also amazing.

Taylor's book essentially started my interest in the Great War but it came out 50 years ago and is very much of its time (the Lions led by Donkeys school). A classic nonetheless. cheers Martin B

#1148 SWorrall

SWorrall

Major

• Old Sweats
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Military history
    Walking
    Photography

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:37 PM

Recent reads have been;
Keith Wilson (ed): Decisions for War
David French: British Economic and strategic planning 1905 - 1915
David French: British Strategy and War aims 1914 - 1916

Currently reading;David French: The Strategy of the Lloyd George coalition 1916 - 1918

Next 4 (in no particular order);

William Philpott: Anglo-French relations and strategy on the Western Front 1914 -1918
David Stevenson: The First World War and international politics
Brian Bond (ed): The First World War and British military history
John Gooch: The plans of war

Simon.

#1149 anneca

anneca

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,363 posts
  • Interests:Family History, The Great War, Gardening, Writing, Classical Music

Posted 06 February 2012 - 08:42 PM

Hi Martin, I am quite a novice regarding the Great War and my interest only started last year when I began to research my Grandfather and his service in Egypt. Since then I have been smitten. I found this book which, unlike some others, is very easy to read and to understand. I was interested to hear the book started your interest and you have more than likely graduated to many others, giving more accurate information and detail. I do hope in time to come across more books in order to broaden my knowledge but in the meantime am enjoying this one immensley. I bought it in a bookshop last week specializing in Second Hand and Rare books, along with Paul Fussell's 'The Great War and Modern Memory' and 'Malcolm Brown's 'Tommy Goes to War' but I want to finish the Richard Hannay series before starting these.
Regards, Anne

Taylor's book essentially started my interest in the Great War but it came out 50 years ago and is very much of its time (the Lions led by Donkeys school). A classic nonetheless. cheers Martin B

#1150 Jonathan Saunders

Jonathan Saunders

Lieut-General

• Old Sweats
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 07 February 2012 - 08:58 AM

Currently re-reading Sagittarius Rising by Cecil Lewis. Id forgotten how good it is.