Photo

August 1914 Royal Field Artillery 40th Brigade

4 replies to this topic

#1 Billyblox

Billyblox

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:My family, Bloxham, Dawes, Troth. Animals, my daughter, reading, sport.

Posted 01 April 2008 - 11:26 AM

I have been reading up on the Royal Field Artillery 40th Brigade which I think was one of the first Brigades to enter the first world war as the British Expiditionary Force in August 1914. My grandfather was in this brigade, but can anyone please confirm if I am right in thinking that they did battle in Mons around 23rd August 1914?

My grandfather Edwin Bloxham joined up in Birmingham (qualifying date is 19/8/14). Would he have gone straight to Belgium? He was captured and became a prisoner of war on the 26th August 1914.

If they were at Mons, does anyone know exactly where they would have been on the 26th August and to which prison camp the POW's would have been taken?

Finally, would members of the Royal Field Artillery wear riding breeches as well as the usual straight legged trousers?

Thank you for any help.

#2 battiscombe

battiscombe

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 01 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

Yes they were at Mons in 3rd Division, just SE of Mons
I have a
Gunner Edwin Charles Bloxham 30521 entry 19/08/1914 40th Brigade rpt wounded by 29/9/1914 (in a Times casualty list - this seems to be the Le Cateau casualties..)- most of the Bde casualties seem to have been in September although a few were lost at Le Cateau - I know of 2 other 40 Bde men who were captured and listed as wounded/missing in the same list, presumably at Le Cateau -- no losses at Mons I think despite their precarious postiion at the bend in the british line - but someone may have the war diary

riding breeches in fine for uniform in the RFA

do you know his Battery?

David

#3 Billyblox

Billyblox

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts
  • Interests:My family, Bloxham, Dawes, Troth. Animals, my daughter, reading, sport.

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:52 PM

Dear David,
Thank you so much for your information! Indeed the soldier you have found is my Grandfather. He was in the 6th Battery 40th Brgade RFA according to the Kings letter that he received on his release as a POW.

I have only one photo of my grandad taken with 3 other soldiers which I presume must have been taken shortly before his capture. I have tried to upload the photo, but it doesnt seem to want to do it!
In the photo 2 are wearing Breeches and 2 are wearing straight legged trousers. I am currently trying to work out which one of 2 ( I have narrowed it down a bit!) he is.

If you know of anything else i'd really love to hear of it. I had no idea how brave he was, I wish I'd taken the time to find out ages ago.
Thanks Ann

#4 battiscombe

battiscombe

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 1,471 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

Ann
useful to confirm his Battery although I have not been able to locate any other 6th Bty casualties, but several individuals are only identified to the Brigade .. I would guess the trousers may be preferred by Gunners and breeches by the Battery drivers .. as you may also have suspected?

I would certainly like to see the photos if you can upload them -- if indeed in France (from 19th Aug) they only had a brief time at Mons after arriving (on the 22nd August?) and then were pulling back to Le Cateau 26th .. so there are limited places it could be! .. and precious few photos of those first weeks of the war .. I have one of my RFA grandad standing by a shellhole 'somewhere in France' .. perhaps in September 1914 ..

make sure they are less than 100k, use the Browse button to locate the file - press green Upload and it should do it (but I also dont get it right as often as not..).

best wishes

David

#5 Billyblox

Billyblox

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 10:27 PM

Dear David,
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes my poor old Grandad was only there a week before his capture. His medal card shows his qualifying date as 19th August 1914 and POW status 26th August 1914.

I dont think he was released until the end of the war. The only thing I have is a letter from King George dated 1918 to him upon his homecoming and release. I can only assume he spent the war as a POW.

He did however, stay in the RFA right up to June 1925 at Farnborough South Camp, and possibly beyond then.

I will try to upload the Photo again, if it fails I will get my husband to help.

Best regards, and thanks for all your help.
Ann