#1 exoto66

exoto66

Lance-Corporal

• Members2
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:British and Australian War Medals

Posted 30 April 2008 - 11:18 AM

hi folks,

I recently picked up a Military Medal set to a George K Harkness (REG# 512270 formally #368) of the 2/3rd London Field Ambulance. I have his medal index cards but cannot find much information on the 2/3rd London Field Ambulance. The London Gazette entry is dated 18/6/1917 so I am assuming the action in which it was won could have been a few months prior. I have searched for a war diary but cannot find a listing for such. I have noticed a few posters have mentioned a published history for the 2/3rd London Field Ambulance but to date cannot find a library anywhere that seems to have a copy. I have also searched the Harkness WWI service records to no avail. I do have a copy of the history of the 2/2nd London Field Ambulance (whilst in France) which shed a little light on the very early formation but nothing after. I am after some historical information about the unit and if possible pin-point the action Mr. Harkness was involved in. If there is anyone out ther who can steer me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated.

regards,
marc

#2 Ali Hollington

Ali Hollington

Lieut-Colonel

• Old Sweats
  • 625 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:41 PM

Its most likely this award is related to the 56th (London) division's attacks around Arras, or more specifically Neuville Vitasse, in April 1917. I have parts of the war diary, National Archives WO 95/2944, for this unit. But not (currently) for June 1917. I'll go back through my notes and keep my eye out for and report back to you.

Regards

Ali

#3 bmac

bmac

Major-General

• Old Sweats
  • 3,006 posts

Posted 30 April 2008 - 07:44 PM

As I have PM'd to Marc there is no mention in the 2/3rd's history except that the award was announced to the unit on 1st May.

#4 hewitt

hewitt

Private

• Members2
  • 2 posts

Posted 04 January 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hi - I am researching the history of George Kettlewell Harkness and would love to know more about the medal you have and if you have received any more luck on what action he was involved in.
Many thanks in advance