Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
KIRKY

Somme Py

KIRKY

Hi ,always seeing loads of postcards named to Somme Py. Is this a place and if so where is it? It would seem to be a large town.

Tony

Tony.There are a few 'Py's' but the nearest are in the dept.Marne & Aisne.The Py is a river but I dont think it touches the Somme.

Can you post a photo of the address?

Dave.

Chris_Baker

It is a village in the Champagne. Navarin farm is very close. Click

Oh oh....

Sommepy?

Walter Kortooms
Hi ,always seeing loads of postcards named to Somme Py. Is this a place and if so where is it? It would seem to be a large town.

Tony

The town(?) of Sommepy lies North-West of the Camp militaire de Suippes (east of Reims). South of it is the (in)famous Ferme de Navarin. The town was in German hands untill the autumn of 1918.

After WO II the town changed its name to Sommepy-Tahure.

Walter

Chalkhill Blue

Py = abbreviation of Picardy?

Bryan

Torrey McLean
Py = abbreviation of Picardy?

Bryan

Hello, Bryan - No, Py is the name of the river. The town is located at the source of the river, which flows west, eventually becoming part of the Aisne. Regards, Torrey

Chalkhill Blue
Hello, Bryan - No, Py is the name of the river. The town is located at the source of the river, which flows west, eventually becoming part of the Aisne. Regards, Torrey

Hi Torrey!

I was thinking outside of the box.

Now I'm back inside it!

:huh:

Bryan

KIRKY

Thanks to you all, I thought it was Pys by Grandcourt and wondered why so many post cards came from there !! Doh

Tony

Gunner Bailey

After scanning my French atlas I can't find anywhere called Somme-Py so have to conclude this does mean Somme - Picardy.

Wiki covers it thus :

In a narrower sense, Picardy refers to the area covered by the gouvernement (military region) of Picardy as created in the 16th century. This area is the Somme département, the northern half of the Aisne département, and a small fringe in the north of the Oise département. This is what most people think of as Picardy today. The older definition survives in the name of the Picard language, which applies not only to the dialects of Picardy proper, but also to the Romance dialects spoken in the Nord-Pas de Calais région, north of Picardy proper.

To me Picardy is the Somme, and some parts of the Pas De Calais. So its not really clear, but the main part of Picardy is the Somme, so the abbreviation seems logical.

Gunner Bailey

Chris_Baker

The village is shown on the map I linked to above. It's now called Sommepy-Tahure.

Paul Reed

The village certainly exists, as I was in it last week. As several have mentioned, it is in the Champagne.

paul guthrie

The village has a memorial on a hillside behind the Mairie to destroyed villages nearby. parts of German pillboxes are used in sidewalks nearby. Upstairs in Mairie is a good museum to US forces who engaged nearby at Blanc Mont.

Near but I can't remember where is the emplacement of a large German long range gun.

Torrey McLean
The village has a memorial on a hillside behind the Mairie to destroyed villages nearby. parts of German pillboxes are used in sidewalks nearby. Upstairs in Mairie is a good museum to US forces who engaged nearby at Blanc Mont.

Near but I can't remember where is the emplacement of a large German long range gun.

Hello, Paul - The German long-range gun emplacement is located just outside the village of Semide, which is approximately 9km north of Sommepy-Tahure. Regards, Torrey

paul guthrie

That's the one, quite impressive, I think it was used briefly and broke and was removed, it shelled Chalons sur Marne I think.

Christina Holstein

The Semide gun is said to have fired 17 rounds before it was dismantled. Think of the expense. The gun pit is in great condition but don't think of trying to take a big vehicle down to it. Turning round on that grassy track is an interesting experience.

If you're in the Somme Py area, stop in Suippes, park by the church and walk through the old gateposts that are on the left side of the parking area as you face the church. Just past the gateposts is a new memorial to the four corporals of Souain, who were shot in 1915 and form the subject of the American film, Paths of Glory, with Kirk Douglas.

Here's a link to a recent photo: http://i398.photobucket.com/albums/pp70/ch...orals-Mem-1.jpg

Christina

Paul Reed

Christina - thought it was a pretty impressive memorial when I saw it last week.

3059916986_1d2ce7548b_b.jpg

3059925256_18a4497b9f.jpg

egbert

Interesting that the memorial inscription does not mention that the 4 poor souls were shot by their own men. It may imply they were shot by Germans to somebody not familiar with their fate .

Paul Reed

Egbert - there is an info board alongside it that explains what happened to them in three languages, and also includes some photos of the men concerned.

egbert

Thanx Paul. That sorts it out

Cnock

German medics at Somme Py

Cnock

post-7723-1232561080.jpg

Steffo

I´m looking after a map showing the surroundings of Somme-Py and trenches in 1915.

I try to find the location of some places:

- Fingerwald (finger forest?) This should be right on the front summer of 1915

- Kaisertreu. I know that Kaisertreu was situated about 1km North of Somme-Py.

- Mecklenburger Lager​ a.k.a Bayern Lager Before summer 1915

I would be grateful if anybody could help me?

Thanks,

Steffo

phil andrade

There was a rather lurid war novel that I read as a boy by an American journalist - he might have been a veteran - called COMPANY K.

It was a series of vignettes depicting the US experience of war at the sharp end. It was made into a film which failed to pass muster.

The reason I mention it is because it mentioned Somme-Py , or the Somme-Py road - as a location for some of the episodes depicted.

From that I inferred that it was in a sector of the Western Front well to the South of the Somme we associate with Picardy ; the American effort being focused preponderantly in those regions that had been under the French aegis.

Phil ( PJA )

CROONAERT

I try to find the location of some places:

- Fingerwald (finger forest?) This should be right on the front summer of 1915

- Kaisertreu. I know that Kaisertreu was situated about 1km North of Somme-Py.

- Mecklenburger Lager​ a.k.a Bayern Lager Before summer 1915

Here's your Kaisertreu....

post-357-0-52611400-1449076361_thumb.jpg

CROONAERT

...which locates it as you say - 1km (approx.) north of the town ...

post-357-0-85382300-1449076562_thumb.jpg