Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
gem22

!914-15 Star on eBay

gem22

A 1914-15 Star is on eBay for a soldier whose name appears on my local war memorial. Our local historical society secretary is considering purchasing the medal but has asked my opinion. I am on the society committee and I am also the Poppy Appeal Organiser and Deputy Chairman of the local branch of the Royal British Legion; which is why I was approached.

My problem is that although I am in favour of purchasing the medal I have no experience of medal collecting. I have a slight doubt about the medal because the number, rank, and name on the reverse have been partially erased; which makes me wonder about the authenticity of the medal.

Can any member give me an idea as to what would be a sensible bid for this medal; and possibly some idea as to how I can confirm its authenticity?

Thanks

Garth

auchonvillerssomme

I think you need to consider what you are going to do with the medal once purchased, is it the one to Pledger?

Mick

welshdoc

Firstly e mail the seller and ask him / her if they can e mail you a high resolution pic of the back so you can see if the information given holds up.

In general a 1915 star casualty is worth £60-80 to a Scottish regiment £80 + a bit and for gallipolli a bit more say £80-100. The damage to the star though almost kills the value maybe £30-40 tops. But and there is always a but if somone really wants it to reunite a group or is an avid collector to the regiment that will push it back up. So for you as hes local I would not go much above £40 if you beleive the details to the medal are correct. Gareth

gem22

Gareth

Thanks for that

Mick

It is the one for H Pledger and it would be added to the collection of historical archive material.

Garth

per ardua per mare per terram

Value is dependent on who is after it. If someone is trying to reunite a group they might pay more. If it is the medal mentioned a lot will depend on that identification.

welshdoc

Garth I just downloaded and blew up the pic you would deffinately need a high resolution pic to be sure as I cant see the name much of the regiment or most of the number prettty much as the lister has stated. There is no reason to beleive its a bad un its simply the condition makes it difficult to be sure if all is well. I think your reason for thinking of getting it is a good one thought, dealers and those out to make a profit I would expect will leave it well alone. Hope you get it and for a decent price. Gareth

gem22

Gareth

Thank you. I have asked the seller for a pic as you suggested. I guess I will have to wait and trust to luck.

Garth