Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Dolphin

47041 Pte C W Murphy, 1st (Res) Bn, Monmouthshire Regt

7 posts in this topic

My cousin who lives in Wales told me that there's a grave in the cemetery of what was the Bridgend Mental Hospital that contains the remains of Pte C W Murphy, 47041, 1st (Reserve) Battalion, Monmouthshire Regiment, who died on 31 July 1918.

I had a look at the CWGC Register, and there's no further information, not even the poor man's given names. I couldn't find a Medal Index Card, but that might be my clumsiness.

My understanding is that the Reserve Battalions were the former Third Line Territorials, UK-based and engaged in training men to join the First and Second Line battalions overseas. However, infantry matters aren't my strong-point, and I'm happy to be corrected.

Does anyone know anything more about him, or have an idea about where there might be some information?

Gareth

Admission records should be at Glamorgan Record Office, see http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/hospitalrecords/details.asp?id=2472&hospital=&town=bridgend&searchdatabase.x=0&searchdatabase.y=0. I was able to get hold of the equivalent record (actually the hospital's own register of deaths) for Sedley James Collins who died at the City of London Mental Hospital nr Dartford Kent. The book gave his full names, date of death and some info on when he had been admitted.

If you're chap is buried at the Bridgend hospital, presumably his death was registered there also, so you might be able to find the death registration on FreeBMD which should give at least his first name.

David

Thank you very much for the information. I'll pass it on to my cousin.

Regards

Gareth

Gareth

Nothing seen in Soldiers Died in the Great War either.Even if he was in a Home Battalion he would ordinarily be listed here.

Sotonmate

Sotonmate

Thanks. It seems to be a curious case.

Regards

Gareth

I came across this soldiers name a little while ago and was able to help a gentleman by the name of Mick Lobb who had posted it. I have copied what I found out and sent on to Mick if anyone is interested

Private Charles William Murphy service number 40741.

He initially enlisted in the regiment in Dec 1914 and was put on the reserve as his occupation was a Collery Repairer was an important war time job. He lived at 44 James Street, Mardy, Glamorgan. He was then called up for service in 1917 and probably at this time they discovered that he had Syphilis and that this had spread to his brain. He was initially given care at home but obviously as the disease spread to his brain the care was more difficult and he was transferred to the hospital. It was here that he died in 1918. He never did serve overseas with the regiment.

He was married to Dora and they had 3 children Dora Maud 14/5/10, Roy William Charles 5/1/12 & Leslie Charles 15/2/17.

Thanks for taking the picture and for remembering him.

Below is a link to a picture of his grave.....a lonely picture if ever I saw one

http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1623569

Regards

Martyn

Martyn

Thank you for clearinmg up a minor mystery.

Gareth