Remembered Today:

pipkins59

Private James Moyniham G/1208 Queens Regt 7th Btn

11 posts in this topic

Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate any help on my great grandfathers war records, I know he was KIA 1-7-1916 and was remembered at Thiepval Memorial in France, He served with 7th Btn Queens Royal West Surrey Regt

He served as an alias of "Pvt G/1208 James Murray" his family name being Moyniham, although no reason is known as to why.

I would like to know any further information like when he enlisted etc..

I have his medal roll and he was awarded the 1915 star and it lists his first theatre of war as France also his daty of entry as 27/7/1915 so do I assume he was in france for nearly a year?

Any help on lookup would be much appreciated,

Best regards

Steve

Steve,

SDGW lists him as Pte. G/1208 James Moynham, born and a resident of Peckham and enlisted in Deptford. The date of entry on the MIC is the day that the battalion landed at Boulogne. The following is an extract from Westlake's 'Battalions on the Somme'

7th (Service) Battalion. 55th Brigade, 18th (Eastern) Division:

Attacked 7.30 a.m. (1/7) west of Montauban - heavy fire at first held up advance in front of Breslau support Trench - later fought on through Back Trench and Train Alley to Montauban Alley. War Diary records that after 12 hours fighting the final objective was reached and consolidated on a front of about 200 yards. Casualties - 532. Relieved and to Back Trench (2/7).

Jon

Oddly, his MIC states his name as James Murray, and underneath it says "alias Edward Moyniham"

The war diary for the 7th Queens is online here

http://qrrarchive.we...menu1.aspx?li=1

The entry for the 1st July is here

http://qrrarchive.we...D0071916007.pdf

See also the parent site http://www.1914-1918.net/queens.htm

it's a good idea to follow the advice at the top of the page

Incidentally, although the LLT says raised at Guildford the Queen's recruited from South London at that stage of the war, my wife's grandfather (from Croydon) also served with the Regiment and he too served under an alias! Though in his case, it was due to a family dispute.

Ken

Hi Jon,

Thanks for that, please tell what SDGW stands for, also since posting I have downloaded each page from the regt war diaries up until he was killed, interesting but thought provoking reading,

I am still puzzled as to why he served as James Murray though,

Still I'll keep digging

Regards

Steve

Steve,

SDGW lists him as Pte. G/1208 James Moynham, born and a resident of Peckham and enlisted in Deptford. The date of entry on the MIC is the day that the battalion landed at Boulogne. The following is an extract from Westlake's 'Battalions on the Somme'

7th (Service) Battalion. 55th Brigade, 18th (Eastern) Division:

Attacked 7.30 a.m. (1/7) west of Montauban - heavy fire at first held up advance in front of Breslau support Trench - later fought on through Back Trench and Train Alley to Montauban Alley. War Diary records that after 12 hours fighting the final objective was reached and consolidated on a front of about 200 yards. Casualties - 532. Relieved and to Back Trench (2/7).

Jon

Oddly, his MIC states his name as James Murray, and underneath it says "alias Edward Moyniham"

Thanks and yes Ive got that, pure luck that I found him in the first place as my great grandfather was known as Edward Moyniham

regards

steve

The war diary for the 7th Queens is online here

http://qrrarchive.we...menu1.aspx?li=1

The entry for the 1st July is here

http://qrrarchive.we...D0071916007.pdf

See also the parent site http://www.1914-1918.net/queens.htm

it's a good idea to follow the advice at the top of the page

Incidentally, although the LLT says raised at Guildford the Queen's recruited from South London at that stage of the war, my wife's grandfather (from Croydon) also served with the Regiment and he too served under an alias! Though in his case, it was due to a family dispute.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Thanks it was after I did a search on gwf for queens regt that I found your posts thus giving me the war diary angle, I now know more than I ever thought was possible,

many thanks

regards

steve

Hi

Does anyone have a link for the trench plan maps or photos of that time?

Steve

Steve,

welcome to the world of GW reasearch... here's a good place to start for maps

SDGW - Soldiers that Died in the Great War. This is a HMSO publication of 1921 and now available as a searchable database.

Jon

Steve,

welcome to the world of GW reasearch... here's a good place to start for maps

SDGW - Soldiers that Died in the Great War. This is a HMSO publication of 1921 and now available as a searchable database.

Jon

Hi Jon,

Many thanks im having a look now,

Best regards

Steve

Hi

I hope you dont mind me contacting you but your details came up when I was searching for Private J.Murray. I don't even know if you are still active on this website but thought I would contact you anyway.   My husband purchased a commemorative Somme 100 pin from the Royal British Legion and each presentation box comes with a certificate commemorating the life of a soldier. The pin we purhased is for your great grandfather, remembered at Thiepval memorial.  The reason we looked up his details is because we are going to France in a few weeks to visit the graves of my great grandfather and my husbands great grandfather and as we are going to Thiepval we thought we would visit Private J.Murray (or Moyniham) too.  Just thought you would like to know.  Kind Regards