Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Fusilier

WW1 Military Motors - 1916 set x 50 cards

Great War Truck

That must be the most expensive FWD that has ever sold. Quite amazing.

johnboy

It;ll be seen on the school run in Chelsea soon. 

David Filsell

It;ll?

depaor01
Posted (edited)

Ref. post 5,216 (!) came across another example of propellers as grave markers:

1918 Illustrated London News 091.jpg

Illustrated London News 1918

Dave

Edited by depaor01

RobertBr

A Daimler Y Type Chassis dating from 1917, These were manufactured by AEC  in Walthemstow for Daimler to fullfil a War Office order. Post war they were often converted into Charabancs, single-deck and double-deckers.

I photographed this one today at the Oxford Bus and Morris Motors Museum at Long Handbourgh. Slightly off topic was an interesting set of photos of 'special vehicle' prototypes made at Morris Motors in Oxford during WW2.

Bob

Daimler chassis 1917.JPG

johnshep

Further to earlier posts concerning the Thornton-Pickard Type A aerial camera (#1459,1480 etc), is it reasonable to assume that these cameras were also used by RNAS at Gallipoli in 1915?

John

pete-c
16 hours ago, johnshep said:

Further to earlier posts concerning the Thornton-Pickard Type A aerial camera (#1459,1480 etc), is it reasonable to assume that these cameras were also used by RNAS at Gallipoli in 1915?

John

John,

Unfortunately I am not (yet) able to confirm if the Type 'A' was used during the Dardanelles/Gallipoli campaign.  Are you aware of the articles and photographs featuring the service of Petty Officer Photographic Air Mechanic William 'Bill' Pollard in the Cross and Cockade Journal Vol 38 No2 and No3?   One of the photos shows three officers outside Pollard's 'Camera House' on Imbros circa September 1915.   The cameras being held by these men look very much like hand held Thornton Type 'A's.

My guess is that the cameras used by the Observers flying in Ark Royals aircraft at the time of the initial landings were likely to be these types but, as I mention, I cannot confirm this.

I haven't checked this myself yet but a post in the 'War in the Air' section may bring more results. In the meantime I shall continue to see if I can find some concrete details.

Edited by pete-c

johnshep

Many thanks Pete.  No indeed I have not seen those features in C & C; I will chase them up.

John