Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

egbert

My climb up Hartmannsweilerkopf (HWK)

Fattyowls

Egbert, these are superb and the front line makes the whole scene make sense. I was transfixed by Steve's microlight flights over the Somme yesterday and these have a similar effect.

Pete.

ph0ebus

I really hope to have the chance to visit there one day. Quite something!

Ginnevra

Excellent thread. Informative and interesting. Thank you for posting

Martin Feledziak

Well my Christmas card arrived from my Brother-in-law today.

He manages a small guest house and Gite business in Aix-La-Fayette, Auvergne

the post mark in France was 14 December 2015. ( just 25 days to reach Middle England from Middle France. )

happily this is the postage stamp which accompanied the festive wishes.

post-103138-0-57817400-1452180555_thumb.

trajan

With over a 1,000 entries, I would not know where to start searching in this thread for information about the light railway and cable car system the Germans used to supply the front here from Colmar, etc., Anyone have any ideas? I have just been shown a photograph album which records a visit to the system by some what-I-think-are Turkish officers in June 1918, and I am trying to put this into context.

Oh, and Egbert, if you see this, once again my sincere and deep condolences...

Julian 

egbert

Thank you Julian.

I have many pictures regarding the cable car systems and narrow gauge railways that supplied the front on top of HWK and adjacent mountains. When I have time I will look for them and post them.

andrew pugh

Hi Egbert ,Happy New Year to you.

What a fascinating thread, The place was so well organised by both sides. What were the losses of the troops involved?

Regards 

Andy 

trajan
On 12/25/2017 at 12:45, trajan said:

... I have just been shown a photograph album which records a visit to the system by some what-I-think-are Turkish officers in June 1918, and I am trying to put this into context. ...

20 hours ago, egbert said:

... I have many pictures regarding the cable car systems and narrow gauge railways that supplied the front on top of HWK and adjacent mountains. When I have time I will look for them and post them.

The album is currently in my possession, and as it forms a capsule or entity of its own, I have dared to open a parallel thread - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/topic/256300-two-ottoman-officers-in-the-vosges-in-may-june-1918/ - Egbert, forgive me for branching out from a thread that up to now I have simply dipped in now again, and only now begin to see its real  value. Looking forward, when you can to all comments.

Julian

egbert
1 hour ago, trajan said:

The album is currently in my possession, and as it forms a capsule or entity of its own, I have dared to open a parallel thread - http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/topic/256300-two-ottoman-officers-in-the-vosges-in-may-june-1918/ - Egbert, forgive me for branching out from a thread that up to now I have simply dipped in now again, and only now begin to see its real  value. Looking forward, when you can to all comments.

Julian

I have to admit, that until today I hesitate to add 3 more "thread- excursions" with tons of pictures to HWK. They cover different routes and locations on/at HWK. Maybe it is the time soon to do it if interest persists. A moderator also should help me to seperate and divide the existing thread into 3 parts at my discretion. After that I could start with a part IV........

2 hours ago, andrew pugh said:

Hi Egbert ,Happy New Year to you.

What a fascinating thread, The place was so well organised by both sides. What were the losses of the troops involved?

Regards 

Andy 

Andy you forgot to read post #1

Harry64

Hello Egbert,

I'm here on this forum since 2007,  but because of a Job with many foreign missions I found little time for other things.  

But now I have some days of vacation and I read with great great interest all of your stylish and engaging climb topics (Schratzmännele, Buchenkopf and this fantastic topic: HWK).

Also some of Gwyns equally interesting topics and threats.

What is left to say: I hope so you will go on with more "thread-excursions" despite the many work behind it.

PS: Looking for Fotos then and now from the Oberrehfelsen. Was the overview from this position as well as from Unterrehfelsen?

All the best to you and all others here in this forum for 2018.

Harry

Edited by Harry64

egbert

Harry, glad you enjoy the topice mentioned.

There are 3 "Rehfelsen", "Unterer Rehfelsen", lowest rock formation, located SE HWK,

"Mittlerer Rehfelsen", slightly higher rock formation on SSE slope of HWK and the highest postion, "Oberer Rehfelsen", dominating SE slope .

All three were commanding positions cross-protecting each other with different view angles and lines of fire.

This picture is Oberer Rehfelsen:

5a4a864ab029e_HWKObererRehfelsen4.thumb.jpg.320dfdb2f9a94f9921f9cedaaaa2cde4.jpg

Edited by egbert