Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Annette Burgoyne

Kings Shropshire Light Infantry

6th Shropshires
36 minutes ago, delta said:

Welcome back - we've missed you!

Thanks delta but will only be popping in now and then-I have made a bit of a rode for my own back with my day by day account for my facebook page and do not have the time to visit the Forum-I should not be on here now-got very long casualty lists I should be getting on with.

Edited by 6th Shropshires

NMilne

Thanks very much Annette - I know that busy feeling so really appreciate any help you can give.  

A further update for you and some change of information is that I have now found a birth certificate with a stamp on it from 'The Recruiting Office - 23rd Recruiting Area' and dated 14 November 2016.  So I must have been wrong in saying he joined up in 1914 - it may well have been November 2016 instead.  His name on the birth cert was 'David William Rowlands' rather than 'Davitt William Rowlands'.  Hope this helps...  thanks again Niamh

ss002d6252
6 minutes ago, NMilne said:

Thanks very much Annette - I know that busy feeling so really appreciate any help you can give.  

A further update for you and some change of information is that I have now found a birth certificate with a stamp on it from 'The Recruiting Office - 23rd Recruiting Area' and dated 14 November 2016.  So I must have been wrong in saying he joined up in 1914 - it may well have been November 2016 instead.  His name on the birth cert was 'David William Rowlands' rather than 'Davitt William Rowlands'.  Hope this helps...  thanks again Niamh

The birth cert would need to be verified by the army for dependents pensions etc so the date it was stamped is the date it was verified, that may well not have been the date he joined up. The recruiting office could just have been where his wife took the copy to be verified.

Craig

NMilne

Thanks Craig - good to know but he was only 17 or 18yrs old in 2016 and he didnt get married until June 1925. Thanks for replying though... Niamh 

ss002d6252

If he was only that age in 1916 then it looks like it was for him however it was unusual for the army to request a birth certificate on enlistment.

Craig

billwebb
On ‎10‎/‎08‎/‎2014 at 10:53, MattB said:

Hello,

Last week I bought a number of postcards from a shop in London. Many of them appear to be men of the KSLI. I snapped them up as they were all named and many have regimental numbers and address and some have d.o.d. They appear to have come from an album which has been broken up.i wil try to get back to the shop this week to see if the are any more. I was planning to research the families and upload on to ancestry and lives of ww1. However, I wonder if they are of interest and would be happy to share and post here or send to people on request.

I'll go through them thoroughly but names are:

W L Hales of Whitchurch

J H Cotton of Salop

C Ogden of Nelson

T Deakin of Hadley

W H Stokes

Sapper John W Higgins

Joseph Nelmes Scudamore

A J Hathaway no. 33695 of Handforth

H. A Ovens

G Whitbread of Bacup

S Gough

H Higginson no. 1533

I hope that they might be of interest.

Matt

billwebb

Hi I am researching the local  Ross-on-Wye men who died in the Great War Joseph Nelmes Scudamore was one of them, if you have a  picture could I have a copy to include in a booklet I am preparing for the church.   Thanks.   Bill Webb

6th Shropshires
On ‎28‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 16:33, NMilne said:

Hi Annette..... I have just found a KSLI beret badge in my mothers belongings. It belonged to my grandfather, Davitt William Rowlands. Unfortunately we have no information about his time in the army as he wouldn't talk about it. I only have a vague idea that he was rumoured to have been a regular soldier and lied about his age to join up - he was born in 1897 so he may have joined up in 1914.  He came from Bala in North Wales but had also worked in Aberystwyth. Would there be any way of finding out anything more? Thanks for your help... Niamh

Hi Niamh

The only David William, Rowlands that I could find had the Regimental number 28315, and had been transferred from the Cheshire Regiment along with a large number of others on the 8th April 1918 (this is also the date he likely landed in France), most of them were posted to the 7/K.S.L.I. as was David William, Rowlands. I have the service and pension papers for many of these men, and those  who were posted to the 7th Battalion joined it on the 15th April 1918.

I have no way of knowing if this is your grandfather for sure but a man close by his number came from Llanelly but most of the ex Cheshire Regiment lads came from all over the Country. I can not say when he enlisted you will need to ask someone who knows the Cheshire Regiment well, his Cheshire number was 65507.

Regards

Annette

6th Shropshires
On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 15:24, billwebb said:

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 15:27, billwebb said:

Hi I am researching the local  Ross-on-Wye men who died in the Great War Joseph Nelmes Scudamore was one of them, if you have a  picture could I have a copy to include in a booklet I am preparing for the church.   Thanks.   Bill Webb

Hi Bill

Matt as contacted me and sent me your draft for your booklet, while I have not had time to fully look at it the lay out looks great.

You are a little out by saying he was conscripted in late 1916, going by my database I place the date he was called up at around the 19th July 1916, and I place him landing in France from December 1916 onwards -several men near his number and who joined the 1st Battalion landed in December and joined the Battalion on the 12th of that month (a draft of 136 arrived at the Transport lines on this date).

Regards

Annette

Edited by 6th Shropshires
missed out word

NMilne
On 12/15/2016 at 20:53, 6th Shropshires said:

Hi Niamh

The only David William, Rowlands that I could find had the Regimental number 28315, and had been transferred from the Cheshire Regiment along with a large number of others on the 8th April 1918 (this is also the date he likely landed in France), most of them were posted to the 7/K.S.L.I. as was David William, Rowlands. I have the service and pension papers for many of these men, and those  who were posted to the 7th Battalion joined it on the 15th April 1918.

I have no way of knowing if this is your grandfather for sure but a man close by his number came from Llanelly but most of the ex Cheshire Regiment lads came from all over the Country. I can not say when he enlisted you will need to ask someone who knows the Cheshire Regiment well, his Cheshire number was 65507.

Regards

Annette

Hi Annette - what a lovely surprise to see your note! This is great information and I'm very excited to go further now with my quest. Thanks so much - i will let you know how I get on... Merry Christmas... Niamh 

wolvesarchives

Hi Annette

Not sure how complete your database is now, but in case you need further information, two of our local Wolverhampton men who were in the KSLI and have been featured on our "Wolverhampton's War" blog are:

If you have information about any other Wolverhampton men (including Bilston, Wednesfield, Tettenhall and Heath Town) in the KSLI, we would love to feature them in future blog posts!

Thanks.

Heidi

(Archivist)

Welsh Bethan
On 2/11/2013 at 17:09, GraemeClarke said:

Hi Annette

After a bit of help, please.

There is a 'Samuel' Ricketts on the Walsall RoH but he is actually

Private 6487 Arthur Ricketts, 2nd K.S.L.I., killed in action 16 May 1915 at 32 years of age.

Do you have anything on him at all, please.

He appears to have served for 8 years prior to the war but I am struggling to find him.

(Theres 2 'Arthur Ricketts on FMP from Walsall, one blue eyed and one brown eyed, but no trace of KSLI )

many thanks,

Graeme

20170801_103325.jpg

Welsh Bethan
On 2/11/2013 at 17:09, GraemeClarke said:

Hi Annette

After a bit of help, please.

There is a 'Samuel' Ricketts on the Walsall RoH but he is actually

Private 6487 Arthur Ricketts, 2nd K.S.L.I., killed in action 16 May 1915 at 32 years of age.

Do you have anything on him at all, please.

He appears to have served for 8 years prior to the war but I am struggling to find him.

(Theres 2 'Arthur Ricketts on FMP from Walsall, one blue eyed and one brown eyed, but no trace of KSLI )

many thanks,

Graeme

20170801_103233.jpg

bungywd

Hi Annette,

my name is Byron Williams, my grandfather served in the first world war, and survived. 

I have been researching his time in the 5th and 10th brigades 1914 to 1919 

having only just found the web site, I have some information, is there any chance of some help?

regards

Byron