Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
centurion

Who is this?

centurion

One feels one ought to recognise this guy with the pince nez

Sepoy

Sorry Centurion the photo has not attached correctly.....

ph0ebus

It was just there a minute ago! :x

archangel9

My head is spinning!!!!

Tom Morgan

I hope no-one will mind, but for those who were trying to identify the Great War pince-nez wearer in an earlier, confusing thread (or was it this truncated one? I'm not sure) here is one to have a guess for the time being.

This photo was taken in 1910. His first language, I believe, was French.

Tom

post-7-0-54379500-1388848536_thumb.jpg

MickLeeds

Albert 1 of Belgium.

Mick.

Tom Morgan

You're too good for me, Mick!

OK - what about this one?

He's often mentioned on the forum.

Tom

post-7-0-20149600-1388849343_thumb.jpg

MickLeeds

Kipling ?

Tom Morgan

Wow! Mick, I'm most impressed. I didn't even get to try out my fiendishly obtuse clues! Yes, that was the young Rudyard Kipling. OK. As soon as my wife finishes her online banking session, I'll post another one.

Tom

Tom Morgan

Here's the next one. This pince-nez wearer has a more direct connection to the Great war than Kipling. He served in the war from beginning to end.

Tom

post-7-0-54868300-1388853727_thumb.jpg

SiegeGunner

Admiral Rosslyn Wemyss, Tom. The man who negotiated the 11th hour of the 11th day.

SiegeGunner

What's happened to the photo that accompanied Centurion's original question .... not to mention all the discussion that went with it?

hazelclark

No idea, but Robert has everyone guessing and it doesn't seem possible to find a solution if he doesn't know ANYTHING about the provenance. (unless I missed something?)

Tom Morgan

Correct, Siege. Another one in an hour or so, when I get back from the pub. (Only here for something to eat, of course).

Tom

centurion

No idea, but Robert has everyone guessing and it doesn't seem possible to find a solution if he doesn't know ANYTHING about the provenance. (unless I missed something?)

All I know is that it appears to have Derby on the Front and someone has written Derby in pencil on the back. It's an English post card and I picked it up in a local antique shop along with some French and Belgian post cards (but there is nothing to associate them with one another) It doesn't have the usual square to show the dim witted where to stick the stamp but a triangle instead..

Tom Morgan

What's happened to the photo that accompanied Centurion's original question .... not to mention all the discussion that went with it?

I'm not really sure, but I think this is a whole different thread. In an earlier posting, someone posted a link to the thread with the photo and the subsequent discussion. It was http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=204405&page=4 but it doesn't work any more. I'm not sure what happened. I found this thread while looking for it.

Tom

Tom Morgan

Right - next up is this fellow, looking rather apprehensive and possibly with good reason.

Tom

post-7-0-38334500-1388862481_thumb.jpg

Jim Clay

Cent, the photo that was, originally, missing on the original thread is missing on this thread also. Could you perhaps repost the photo, before this thread too Skindleises? Otherwise, there seems no point.

SteveMarsdin

Tom, he has a vague resemblance to a young Poincaré

Tom Morgan

Steve - no, but he was a politician.

Tom

centurion

Cent, the photo that was, originally, missing on the original thread is missing on this thread also. Could you perhaps repost the photo, before this thread too Skindleises? Otherwise, there seems no point.

OK

post-9885-0-13864700-1388864098_thumb.jp

SteveMarsdin

Tom, a young Teddy Roosevelt ?

Tom Morgan

No, sorry, Steve. Wrong side of the Atlantic. he was a European.

Tom

Tom Morgan

Would a clue help?

This last apprehensive-looking pince-nez wearer did once meet one of the others whose pictures I posted.

Tom

David Ridgus

Right - next up is this fellow, looking rather apprehensive and possibly with good reason.

Tom

attachicon.gifpn2.jpg

Matthias Erzberger - leader of the German negotiating team at the Armistice negotiations, where he met Admiral Wemyss.

His look of apprehension would be justified because he was assassinated three years later by right wing nationalists.

David