File:Walt01.jpg :whistle: Mike

I did think it was rather a big clue!!

Stoppage Drill

Yup.

Clever clogs.

David Ridgus

Yup.

Clever clogs.

I cannot tell a lie. When I clicked on it to get a better look it told me it was Disney! Still no idea about the Dogs chap. Although I wouldn't blame you for now not giving me a clue

David

Edit. Just been on the 'Dogs' thread and realise I've been out-foxed. Well done Mike

Stoppage Drill

I cannot tell a lie. When I clicked on it to get a better look it told me it was Disney! Still no idea about the Dogs chap. Although I wouldn't blame you for now not giving me a clue

David

Edit. Just been on the 'Dogs' thread and realise I've been out-foxed. Well done Mike

Oh no !

Now that's what you call a clue.

It reminds me of the question in a GK quiz in Gulf News. "In what year did Abba win the 1974 Eurovision Song Contest?"

Stoppage Drill

These "Who is This?" posts could be made also completely impossible by putting up increasingly obscure personalities.

But on the other hand, folks are so clever that it is patronising to assume "They'll never get that!"

I suppose that the name of the subject has to be one that most WW1-savvy people will recognise, but presented in such a way that the image precludes universal instant recognition.

This could be an image of the subject when much younger, if the WW1 appearance of the subject is the best known. Alternatively, it could be a person who - relatively obscure in 14-18 - subsequently became much better known.

Or maybe one of those 'names' which isn't often accompanied by a photo.

Anyway, here's one I think is very easy. I have some which I think will present greater difficulty. so lets see how many seconds this first one lasts.

post-86463-0-83565500-1389711774_thumb.j

Steven Broomfield

I was going to suggest Hemingway.

Stoppage Drill

Good job you didn't.

ph0ebus

The Red Baron/Von Richtofen?

Stoppage Drill

The Red Baron/Von Richtofen?

No, Sir, but MvR held this man in the highest possible regard, as did (for slightly different reasons) his French and British adversaries.

He was (apparently) known as a decent, easy-going man, and I think this projects itself in this lovely photograph.

But who is it ?

SiegeGunner

Oswald Boelcke.

Stoppage Drill

Yes, that's it, Oswald Boelcke.

I've just tried posting another, but got the "file too big" message, so I'll have to do a bit of jiggery-pokery.

Watch this space !

Steven Broomfield

I've just tried posting another, but got the "file too big" message,

Goering?

Stoppage Drill

I've got some of him - a lithe whippersnapper in 1918.

Stoppage Drill

I think this one is pretty challenging. Subject is the man on the left, bareheaded.

post-86463-0-83695600-1389724141_thumb.j

SiegeGunner

Frank Leaman Baylies?

Stoppage Drill

No, but I see what you mean, and it's a clever suggestion.

If it had been Baylies, the aircraft would have had French markings though, don't you think ?

This is a toughie, and will probably need a few more clues unless somebody recognises the photo.

I don't recognise the bloke, and I know who he is ! Fun though.

20 questions/identifications then, and I will reveal the identity if no-one gets there first.

You've just had one, so 19 left. I won't count the clue about aircraft markings - you can have that one on me.

Skipman

Is he British?

Stoppage Drill

Yes he was British.

18 questions left.

Steven Broomfield

Is the 'plane American? Frank Luke (the only US airman apart from Rickenbacker I know)

Scrub my guess then (posts crossed).

Stoppage Drill

I'm feeling charitable - plane not American - but I won't count that off the list.

Incidentally, Herr Burstfeld, I have a stunning "who is this" for you, but we've got to work out the current chap first.

Oh, the power !

David Ridgus

No, Sir, but MvR held this man in the highest possible regard, as did (for slightly different reasons) his French and British adversaries.

He was (apparently) known as a decent, easy-going man, and I think this projects itself in this lovely photograph.

But who is it ?

Darn it. Still at school so missed this one! Although I agree Boelcke's character comes through, I still find it slightly depressing because it is taken towards the end of his life and he was beginning to get the cadaverous, haunted look that so many aces seemed to acquire. In earlier shots he is quite round faced.

Question for your next one. Did he go on to have a career in politics?

David

Skipman

Did he survive the war?

Mike

David Ridgus

post-66715-0-35537900-1389733086_thumb.jHarold Blackburn? (only because I wondered whether it was a Blackburn monoplane)

David

David Ridgus

Changed my mind. Is the plane Russian?

Stoppage Drill

Darn it. Still at school so missed this one! Although I agree Boelcke's character comes through, I still find it slightly depressing because it is taken towards the end of his life and he was beginning to get the cadaverous, haunted look that so many aces seemed to acquire. In earlier shots he is quite round faced.

Question for your next one. Did he go on to have a career in politics?

David

Politics, yes, but to be fair I would say take that answer in a broad sense.

17 left.

Did he survive the war?

Mike

He did, and he went on to great things, tho' when this photo was taken he was a mere t/Lt Colonel.

16 left.

attachicon.gifHarold_Blackburn,_MC.jpgHarold Blackburn? (only because I wondered whether it was a Blackburn monoplane)

David

No, but I can see a broad facial similarity, so well done. Mind you, my subject had a distinctive facial wound by the time the photo was taken.

15 to go.