Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
centurion

Who is this?

Stoppage Drill

I hate to see you struggle - Chapter VI, about three pages in, in my edition.

I think we're in chit chat now :thumbsup:

No idea who he is BTW

Mike

Yes, I opened that thread to see whether it would be removed

AlanCurragh

Why on earth would you want to do that? Open a new thread simply to see if is removed?

This thread was moved to Skindles as there is masses of off topic stuff - which is fine but not on the main forum. To be honest I would suggest a new thread is a good idea as this one will possibly exceed maximum thread length soon, but if the new one veers off topic too much, it will end up in Skindles too

Steven Broomfield

Could I, therefore, suggest this thread is closed and a note appended to the fact that it now exists in a new, on-topic form, in wherever the new one is?

Stoppage Drill

Why on earth would you want to do that? Open a new thread simply to see if is removed?

To get some sort of response or explanation.

. To be honest I would suggest a new thread is a good idea

Groan . . .

Stoppage Drill

, but if the new one veers off topic too much, it will end up in Skindles too

Examples of "off-topic"?

When did we start going so off topic that you took umbrage ? A thousand posts ago ? Two thousand ? Five thousand ?

Why not tell the truth, and shame the devil ?

CarylW

Examples of "off-topic"?

When did we start going so off topic that you took umbrage ? A thousand posts ago ? Two thousand ? Five thousand ?

I'd like to know the answer to this too please because I'm completely and utterly mystified. The thread was such a credit to the forum and as Steven pointed out, all that information now lost to a wider audience.

Jim Clay

I'd like to know the answer to this too please because I'm completely and utterly mystified. The thread was such a credit to the forum and as Steven pointed out, all that information now lost to a wider audience.

Me too. This decision really is most peculiar. This thread was, as I commented above, always World War One specific. Not off topic at all, my very occasional interjections excepted. Which, if they cause a problem, I will promise not to interject again.

What IS the maximum thread length, by the way, please?

Ghazala

Most peculiar. A thread dealing almost exclusively with the Great War disappears into the murky waters of 'Skindles'. I hope my inane inputs on TEL and other observations have not upset the apple cart.

Ghazala

Oh, I dunno.

Who wrote, about whom . . .

"He was calm, detached, clear-sighted, of unconscious courage in assuming responsibility. He gave an open run to his subordinates. His own views were general, like his knowledge; and he worked by influence rather than by loud direction. It was not easy to descry his influence. He was like water, or permeating oil, creeping silently and insistently through everything."

Quite a bit more in this vein, but that'll do for now !

The Skindles move has thrown my concentration a bit and I came late to this. TEL about Gilbert Clayton I think. Will we be able to continue now? I feel sad.

AlanCurragh

Please bear in mind that many of the off topic posts have been hidden. And there were a lot of them. But I'd agree that this is a splendid example of the forum at its best, so what I'd propose is closing this (I actually don't know the maximum size of a thread, I just suspect we could run into issues if it keeps growing), moving it back to main forum, then we can all carry on with the new thread in Chit Chat. With a request that the off topic comments are refrained from.

As for telling the truth and shaming the devil, I have no idea what SD is talking about (except quoting Henry IV Part 1 of course). I for one get a little tired of the mods being accused of having an agenda - we simply want the GWF to stay on topic and within the rules.

David Ridgus

I must say I agree wholeheartedly with the comments regarding shifting this to Skindles. It has been almost without exception GW-related: even non-GW pictures have always had a GW theme; now a pretty extensive library of interesting facts and little-known people has been lost to a wide audience.

I am sorry to say this, but i feel this is a very bad decision.

I cannot believe that all the extraordinary depth and breadth of knowledge that has been shown by forum members on this thread is now to be found alongside discussions on the World Cup and whether to put jam or cream on a scone first.

David

Edit: Sorry Alan I was posting and missed yours

Steven Broomfield

I cannot believe that all the extraordinary depth and breadth of knowledge that has been shown by forum members on this thread is now to be found alongside discussions on ... whether to put jam or cream on a scone first.

David

Excuse me. i think you'll find that a pretty fine example of a deep, insightful conversation, displaying a fine amount of depth and breadth of knowledge. Honestly. Tcha!

David Ridgus

Excuse me. i think you'll find that a pretty fine example of a deep, insightful conversation, displaying a fine amount of depth and breadth of knowledge. Honestly. Tcha!

You are right Steven, a poor choice by me. It had only come to mind because I remembered it with such affection

David

AlanCurragh

This thread now continues in "Who is this ???"