The forum will be offline for an upgrade from 7AM UK time on Friday. See the About this Website board for more details.

Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sylvia McClintock Wright

The Mansel Sisters

Sylvia McClintock Wright   
Sylvia McClintock Wright

Marcia & Juliet Mansel served in the First World War as nursing sisters first for the British Red Cross and then the French Red Cross.

http://www.france24.com/en/20151105-women-war-british-sisters-who-nursed-french-army

They were my great aunts.  They were both awarded the Croix de Guerre, Marcia was awarded a second one for nursing in France in 1940.

Welbourne   
Welbourne

I have just finished reading about nursing in WW1. Nerves of steel your aunts must have had.

ForeignGong   
ForeignGong

Hi

I can only find Juliet Mansel under Foreign Office File:372/1314 Treaty: Orders (Decorations) France dated 1919, "for services in French Ambulances 1918" available at Kew NA.

Do you have a reference for Marcia's award please so I can add it to my database?????

Peter

I have a Mrs Mansel, NO initial awarded a Cdg with Star, under Foreign Office File: FO 372/1310 Treaty: Orders (Decorations) France                     1919, "Head of Laboratory, Scottish Women's Hospital"

Did not realise she was Mrs's.

Edited by ForeignGong

Sylvia McClintock Wright   
Sylvia McClintock Wright

Please accept my apoligies for not having replied sooner, I've only just seen this post.

See: http://smedmorehouse.com/news/school-visits/

Marcia was Mrs Walker, widow of Capt. Oswald Walker, who was killed on 23 August, 1914 at the Battle of Mons..  Juliet was Miss Mansel.

If you google The Mansel Sisters - Women and the Great War you will find more about them.

I hope that helps.  Regards, Sylvia.