Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Susie H

Menin Gate Memorial Photo

Susie H

Would any of you kind people be able to post some photos of panel 51 of the Menin Gate Memorial in Ypres please? I am researching TF/2028 Private H.W.R. Thurlow who was in the Middlesex 1st/8th Btn. and his name is on this panel.  If anyone has a photo with his name shown, that would be marvellous. I have tried looking online but without any success.
Thanking you in anticipation.

trenchtrotter

I have. Will post ASAP

trenchtrotter

I don't have much info on him. Records show him as William G Thurlow but CWGC have him as Harry William? Service no TF/2028 or 8/2028. Entered France 8/5/15? Son of William and Jane Thurlow of Elmfield 73 Laleham Road, Stains, Middlesex.

trenchtrotter

IMG_1499.JPG

IMG_1505.JPG

Sorry poor image as taken in poor light with mobile. May be able to get a better one next week or failing that first week in March.

The panel is beyond the wreath I laid for another soldier.

Tim Thurlow.

Susie H

Hello Tim

This is marvellous, thank you very much and if you are able to take another photo with Harry Thurlow's name in it next week or next month, I would be so very grateful.

The reference to William G Thurlow on the Medal Card is incorrect and this has been pointed out to the Imperial War Museum via "Lives of the First World War". I sent supporting evidence and the Museum subsequently agreed it was incorrect. His full name is Harry William Robert Thurlow. The other information you mentioned is all correct.

As you put your name at the bottom of the post with the photos, I cannot help asking, are you a relative of Harry's by any chance?

Thank you again for your help.

Sue

trenchtrotter

Better image.

IMG_3308.JPG

Susie H

Hi Tim

Thank you so much, it's a great photo, I really appreciate you posting it for me and I am very grateful.

Best wishes
Sue