Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

John(txic)

Regular, New Army, or Territorials? Who went where?

John(txic)

Indulge me, please.  I'm trying to understand how a soldier ended up in a particular Battalion, both before and after the introduction of Conscription.

Presumably in 1914 and 1915 a choice was offered at the Recruiting Office?

What was the procedure for determining in which Battalion a conscript served?

Steven Broomfield

Up until 1916 and the introduction of conscription, enlistment into the TF was specific - you could not be moved without your express consent. Therefore if you turned up at the depot of the Loamshires you enlisted for the regulars, Service, etc, whereas if you turned up at the Drill Hall in the High Street you joined the relevant TF battalion, unit, sub-unit, etc.

tullybrone

Do you mean how did a soldier end up in a particular "Regiment" rather than "Battalion"?

A recruit couldn't select a "Battalion" but pre conscription could elect to enlist in a particular "Regiment" which was made up of several (many or even numerous) "Battalions".

Steve Y

John(txic)

Thanks, Steven.

Tully:  I do mean Battalion.  I'm looking to see how the men on Dudley's war memorial ended up spread across the various Battalions of the Worcestershire Regiment.

What happened post-1916?   Presumably when conscripted you would go where the Army sent you.  Could you still volunteer for the Territorials, or was all choice removed for the duration?

ss002d6252

Pre MSA you could enlist to a specific territorial battalion and 'try' for a specific new army battalions but it ultimately if you weren't a territorial the army had a lot more say over your location.

Post MSA there was no territorial enlistment as (with some exceptions) every man was automatically placed in to the army reserve and once there you couldn't voluntarily enlist as a Territorial  (as you were already 'in' the army) .Direct territorial enlistment was suspended until after the war.

Craig

Alan24

I don't think men enlisting under the Derby Scheme could generally choose where they went either. There is a question on the attestation form about willing to serve wherever...cant remember the exact wording.

However contained in the service records on Ancestry there is a letter within a Hampshire man's record where the Hants OC writes to the OC RGA at Fort Brockhurst saying this man requested the RGA upon attestation but is disappointed to be sent to the Hampshires.

He did transfer so a clear case of don't ask don't get.

Alan.

Alan24

Regarding the above post...several bits of correspondence including this for Percy Frank Couper.

He answered yes to "Are you willing to enlist for general service?"

Alan

Capture 1123.JPG

johnboy

I seem to remember that   a brother was able to be posted to his brothers battalion on application. I think I saw one example but can't remember where. 

Rogueraven

I've seen an example of a brother being posted to the same Bn, one for John, Thomas Woolams 8136 9th Bn Worc's Recorded missing 2/2/1917 His brother was Edward Woolams 46909 9th Bn Worc's Posted same threatre 24/7/1917. Thomas being confirmed KIA 31/8/1917 a month or so after Edwards posting. Very Strange and no real explanation.

Next time you in Dudley Archives let me know

James B)

John(txic)

LOL!   I'm in there next Thursday morning - but in my professional capacity, looking at the sprinklers...

I have managed to discover how Dudley men ended up in the "wrong" territorial Bn, btw; I was puzzled as to how Dudley men started dying in the 1st and 2nd/8th Bn after April 1917.  The chap running the 8th Worcesters 100 FaceBook page told me that the 3rd/7th and 3rd/8th were amalgamated late in 1916, so conscripts were directed into either Territorial Bn as required.

inkerman

Johnboy - I agree with you.  If my memory is correct Queen's Regs state that  that a brother can 'claim' a younger sibling to serve in the same Battalion.  I soldiered in the last century and have a recollection of helping a soldier to do just this.  This regulation may still be in in the force!

Richard 

ss002d6252

KR's 1912

Capture.JPG

Craig