Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
dabtoe

S.S. Mendi

sotonmate

.................and the Memorial panels listing all of the MENDI casualties is in Hollybrook Cemetery, Southampton.

Moonraker

The disaster was mentioned  at 0600 today  in the "headlines" of Radio Four's "Today" programme, but I'm bustling around more than usual and may have missed any detailed coverage.

Moonraker

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr

Yes, mentioned on Radio 4 08:00 News and BBC Breakfast News around 09:00.

An event of which I regret to say I had never heard of until today.

A tragic loss.

keithmroberts

In response to the radio report I turned up at Milton Cemetery in Portsmouth to support the event and pay my respects.

Unfortunately the South African officials who arranged the event had insisted that all save formal participants should be over 300 metres away. That even included the cemetery superintendent who helped arrange the detail,  There was a substantial presence of South African forces including a military band. The marquee in the distance was undoubtedly populated by military attaches  and some South African dignitaries, but I felt quite aggrieved by the effective exclusion of all but invited participants.

The CWGC do these things better but clearly had to comply with the wishes of the embassy officials. The South African friends of my youth, some of whom later served in government under Mandela would not have taken such a a narrow approach. After standing in the drizzle for almost 30 minutes, barely able to hear the band even, I gave up and came home.

Keith

The Scorer

I've received this e-mail this morning from the Big Ideas Company (although it was sent last night):

100 years since the SS Mendi

View this email in your browser

dcbd113e-3f4a-4f21-817c-5b7a93c5edf1.jpg

Today is the centenary of the sinking of the SS Mendi, when over 600 South African Native Labour Corps men died just off the coast of the UK. We launch The Unremembered with the story of these forgotten men.

e1319fb4-576f-4c6e-8caf-c32a56438323.jpg

Local schools and choirs responded brilliantly to the project and held the names of the SS Mendi men up high. The BBC broadcast Tim Muffet's report on Friday 17 February; Daily Mail online featured children singing in Xhosa; Portsmouth News covered the local story before and after and The Times previewed the weekend before.

Hugh Masekela

Later today BBC World plan to broadcast the world premier of South African legend Hugh Masekela playing the 'African Last Post' Hambe Kahle for the SS Mendi and The Unremembered project.
> Watch his performance

ffbd7e00-abae-4c32-b3fc-97514f6fef02.jpeg

Dr Murrison MP, the Prime Minister's Special Envoy for the Centenary, made an inspiring speech to launch The Unremembered. He is pictured here with SS Mendi descendant Natalia Sifuba, who came from South Africa for the commemorations.

35dbadc2-c11c-475f-840e-c92ba3df1bd6.png

Register with the project to receive our free resource pack at theunremembered@bigideascompany.org or via The Unremembered Facebook Group. Small-scale community funding available from April.

The Unremembered is funded by the Department for Communities and Local Government.
With thanks to the South African High Commission for inviting us to launch with them.

Edited by The Scorer

The Scorer

I've listened to Hugh Masekela playing the 'African Last Post' Hambe Kahle, and it sounds good.

I must admit, though, that I didn't know that there was an 'African Last Post' .... it's a lot different to ours, and sounds as if it's harder to play.