Jump to content
Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Jilly

Searching Joseph henry Davis

Recommended Posts

Jilly

Photos of Joseph Henry Davis south staffs regiment killed 11th may 1918 buried in France came from Walsall or photos of his regiment please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GraemeClarke

Jilly,

 

Joseph Henry DAVIES was from Chasetown and resided in Walsall. He was wounded (gassed while in trenches at Gorre) on or about 1 or 2 May 1918 and died of this at Etaples.

 

He is on the Walsall Roll of Honour and on the War Memorial in Walsall Town Hall removed from St. Paul's Church.

 

There are no pictures of him in the local newspapers.

 

Are you a relative ??

Regards,

 

Graeme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GraemeClarke

:)

Edited by GraemeClarke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly

I'm hoping for information about Joseph henry Davis Staffordshire regiment of Walsall died in France 11 th may 1918 age approx 24 . Would love photograph 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
dundeesown

Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

Is all the information 100% correct ? I can`t find a Joseph Henry Davis,I can find a Frank Joseph Davis from Walsall with a death date of 10th April 1918 he was in the South Staffordshire Regiment could this be the lad ?

Gary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Langdon

Perhaps this is the man:

 

Name:Joseph H Davies

Death Date:11 May 1918

Death Place:France and Flanders

Enlistment Place:Walsall, Staffs

Rank:Private

Regiment:South Staffordshire Regiment

Battalion:1st 6th (T.F.) Battalion

Regimental Number:242567

Type of Casualty:Died of wounds

Theatre of War:Western European Theatre

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
keithmroberts

if that is the man the CWGC also have him as Davies   and the page from the Cemetery Register states that he died of wounds(gas). You can download that from the CWGC   pages here  http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/500482/DAVIES, JOSEPH HENRY

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ss002d6252

The effects records show that #242567 has his effects paid to his widow Nellie in Oct 18. It appears she had remarried by Dec 1919 as she's listed again as Ellen Mills for the War Gratuity payment purposes.

Craig

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly
2 hours ago, dundeesown said:

Hi

Welcome to the Forum.

Is all the information 100% correct ? I can`t find a Joseph Henry Davis,I can find a Frank Joseph Davis from Walsall with a death date of 10th April 1918 he was in the South Staffordshire Regiment could this be the lad ?

Gary

No it is Joseph Henry 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly
2 hours ago, Langdon said:

Perhaps this is the man:

 

Name:Joseph H Davies

Death Date:11 May 1918

Death Place:France and Flanders

Enlistment Place:Walsall, Staffs

Rank:Private

Regiment:South Staffordshire Regiment

Battalion:1st 6th (T.F.) Battalion

Regimental Number:242567

Type of Casualty:Died of wounds

Theatre of War:Western European Theatre

 

Mike

Yes this is him I have this information wondering if there is a photo anywhere in observer etc thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly
On 07/03/2017 at 14:06, GraemeClarke said:

Jilly,

 

Joseph Henry DAVIES was from Chasetown and resided in Walsall. He was wounded (gassed while in trenches at Gorre) on or about 1 or 2 May 1918 and died of this at Etaples.

 

He is on the Walsall Roll of Honour and on the War Memorial in Walsall Town Hall removed from St. Paul's Church.

 

There are no pictures of him in the local newspapers.

 

Are you a relative ??

Regards,

 

Graeme

I have this information I was told he might be on the roll of honour in the town hall going to have a look . I have his death certificate .was hoping for photo as their sent any family ones . He was my husbands grandfather. Have a photo of his grave off cwwg thank you is there any way of seeing his gratuity payment or any other information please

Just now, Jilly said:

I have this information I was told he might be on the roll of honour in the town hall going to have a look . I have his death certificate .was hoping for photo as their sent any family ones . He was my husbands grandfather. Have a photo of his grave off cwwg thank you is there any way of seeing his gratuity payment or any other information please

His death certificate says may 11th 2918

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
keithmroberts

Jilly

 

CWGC don't have grave photos these days.The War Graved photographic Project, do. 

His gratuity details are on Ancestry. if you don't subscribe go to your nearest "Local Studies" library where you can get access

 

When logged on to Ancestry , (stick to UK options)  Search/Card Catalogue/  use the keyword  effects, then a new search screen will take you to the page.

 

Keith

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly

The war graves commission helped me get the photo volunteers go out I have tried to upload it can't see his name very well unless looking at it thank you 

IMG_2764.JPG

Just now, Jilly said:

The war graves commission helped me get the photo volunteers go out I have tried to upload it can't see his name very well unless looking at it thank you 

IMG_2764.JPG

He is buried in Etaples military cemetery 

14 minutes ago, keithmroberts said:

Jilly

 

CWGC don't have grave photos these days.The War Graved photographic Project, do. 

His gratuity details are on Ancestry. if you don't subscribe go to your nearest "Local Studies" library where you can get access

 

When logged on to Ancestry , (stick to UK options)  Search/Card Catalogue/  use the keyword  effects, then a new search screen will take you to the page.

 

Keith

Thank you for advice about ancestry 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly
7 hours ago, ss002d6252 said:

The effects records show that #242567 has his effects paid to his widow Nellie in Oct 18. It appears she had remarried by Dec 1919 as she's listed again as Ellen Mills for the War Gratuity payment purposes.

Craig

Yes that's correct wish there was photo 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GraemeClarke

Morning Jilly,

 

I have attached a better headstone picture for you.

 

As stated previously, he is commemorated on the Walsall Town Hall Memorial, see member Berenice's site here http://warmemorials.myfastforum.org/about2742.html&highlight=walsall

 

He is also commemorated on a beautiful memorial in the Town Hall (removed from Paul's Church) in the main hallway on the right hand side as you walk into the Town Hall (see attached).

 

Walsall Local History Centre, Essex Street holds a leather bound RoH book with his name in (see attached)

 

The War Diary for the period of his wounding states,

    “1 May 1918 - 4am. Enemy opened out a gas shell bombardment which lasted for 4 hours, causing casualties.

     “2 May 1918 - H.Q. details suffered heavy casualties from gas. 90% reporting to the dressing station. Moved to reserve at Vaudricourt.”

All the above memorials spell his surname as DAVIES. Is the correct spelling DAVIS ???

 

Regards,

 

Graeme

davies a.jpg

DSCF6278.jpg

DSCF1031.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly
On 12/03/2017 at 16:05, Jilly said:

Yes this is him I have this information wondering if there is a photo anywhere in observer etc thank you 

 

On 12/03/2017 at 21:32, Jilly said:

Yes that's correct wish there was photo 

Do you think a photo would surface spelling davis as Davies thank you 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly
14 hours ago, GraemeClarke said:

Morning Jilly,

 

I have attached a better headstone picture for you.

 

As stated previously, he is commemorated on the Walsall Town Hall Memorial, see member Berenice's site here http://warmemorials.myfastforum.org/about2742.html&highlight=walsall

 

He is also commemorated on a beautiful memorial in the Town Hall (removed from Paul's Church) in the main hallway on the right hand side as you walk into the Town Hall (see attached).

 

Walsall Local History Centre, Essex Street holds a leather bound RoH book with his name in (see attached)

 

The War Diary for the period of his wounding states,

 

 

    “1 May 1918 - 4am. Enemy opened out a gas shell bombardment which lasted for 4 hours, causing casualties.

 

     “2 May 1918 - H.Q. details suffered heavy casualties from gas. 90% reporting to the dressing station. Moved to reserve at Vaudricourt.”

 

All the above memorials spell his surname as DAVIES. Is the correct spelling DAVIS ???

 

Regards,

 

Graeme

davies a.jpg

DSCF6278.jpg

DSCF1031.JPG

Thank you so much for doing better photo . I have in fact been to the town hall today and looked at the roll of honour list . We have relatives of Joseph and they spell surname as Davis . I will try to find out more thank you again 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly
On 13/03/2017 at 08:21, GraemeClarke said:

Morning Jilly,

 

I have attached a better headstone picture for you.

 

As stated previously, he is commemorated on the Walsall Town Hall Memorial, see member Berenice's site here http://warmemorials.myfastforum.org/about2742.html&highlight=walsall

 

He is also commemorated on a beautiful memorial in the Town Hall (removed from Paul's Church) in the main hallway on the right hand side as you walk into the Town Hall (see attached).

 

Walsall Local History Centre, Essex Street holds a leather bound RoH book with his name in (see attached)

 

The War Diary for the period of his wounding states,

 

 

    “1 May 1918 - 4am. Enemy opened out a gas shell bombardment which lasted for 4 hours, causing casualties.

 

     “2 May 1918 - H.Q. details suffered heavy casualties from gas. 90% reporting to the dressing station. Moved to reserve at Vaudricourt.”

 

All the above memorials spell his surname as DAVIES. Is the correct spelling DAVIS ???

 

Regards,

 

Graeme

davies a.jpg

DSCF6278.jpg

DSCF1031.JPG

Hello found my mother in laws birth  certificate she was josephs daughter born 22nd may 1918 . It says Doris Davies her she passed away 1963 but there is a cousin still living their fathers were brothers but they spell their name Davis so confusing 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GraemeClarke

Hi Jilly,

 

Very sad that his daughter was born exactly a week after his death.

 

I think there is a picture of Nellie and Doris on Ancestry. You can gain access by visiting Essex Street Local History Centre. You may need some utility bills if you are not a member. They have free Ancestry access.

 

Regards,

 

Graeme

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly
1 hour ago, GraemeClarke said:

Hi Jilly,

 

Very sad that his daughter was born exactly a week after his death.

 

I think there is a picture of Nellie and Doris on Ancestry. You can gain access by visiting Essex Street Local History Centre. You may need some utility bills if you are not a member. They have free Ancestry access.

 

Regards,

 

Graeme

Yes I have that photo I knew Doris can't understand why some of same family spell surname different I'm thinking going to registry office tomorrow for Josephs birth certificate I know his parents names and will take Doris's birth  certificate thanks for your help . Have been on an ancestry site on Facebook this morning someone said Joseph had a brother Bert who died in Canada but I'm doubtful I know he had a brother Harry .doris mother Nellie died when Doris was about 9 wasn't very old and Doris was only 45 ish when she died in 1963 sad story. I've saved the new photo of Josephs grave to my phone having a new one printed off tomorrow . Thanks again . Doris born march 22nd 1918 Joseph   died may 11th 1918 wonder if he knew about her so sad 

Edited by Jilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly
On 12/03/2017 at 13:59, keithmroberts said:

if that is the man the CWGC also have him as Davies   and the page from the Cemetery Register states that he died of wounds(gas). You can download that from the CWGC   pages here  http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/500482/DAVIES, JOSEPH HENRY

 

Keith

 

21 minutes ago, Jilly said:

Yes I have that photo I knew Doris can't understand why some of same family spell surname different I'm thinking going to registry office tomorrow for Josephs birth certificate I know his parents names and will take Doris's birth  certificate thanks for your help . Have been on an ancestry site on Facebook this morning someone said Joseph had a brother Bert who died in Canada but I'm doubtful I know he had a brother Harry .doris mother Nellie died when Doris was about 9 wasn't very old and Doris was only 45 ish when she died in 1963 sad story. I've saved the new photo of Josephs grave to my phone having a new one printed off tomorrow . Thanks again . Doris born march 22nd 1918 Joseph   died may 11th 1918 wonder if he knew about her so sad 

Sorry forgot to ask Joseph had few medals campaign one etc but they have disappeared can we find out anywhere and replace them do you know thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly
On 14/03/2017 at 09:26, Jilly said:

Hello found my mother in laws birth  certificate she was josephs daughter born 22nd may 1918 . It says Doris Davies her she passed away 1963 but there is a cousin still living their fathers were brothers but they spell their name Davis so confusing 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly
On 12/03/2017 at 13:48, Langdon said:

Perhaps this is the man:

 

Name:Joseph H Davies

Death Date:11 May 1918

Death Place:France and Flanders

Enlistment Place:Walsall, Staffs

Rank:Private

Regiment:South Staffordshire Regiment

Battalion:1st 6th (T.F.) Battalion

Regimental Number:242567

Type of Casualty:Died of wounds

Theatre of War:Western European Theatre

 

Mike

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jilly

This is the man I'm researching. The confusion with the surname is he was Joseph henry Davies and his sister may married a Harry Davis . We know the Davis family and we thought Joseph and Harry were brothers. Which isn't the case I think I can move forward now thank you all  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×