Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Oldleg

Help needed in identifying this bullet

trajan

Well, if we go by SS's diagram, post 19, the source of which he does not give so who knows how reliable it is, then there is possibly still some 'composition, tracer' in there!

Edited by trajan
Adding qualifier - 'possibly'

MikB
1 hour ago, Oldleg said:

So, am I right in thinking that it is possibly a german shell rather than a Vickers? 

Not at all, I'm afraid. I thought it was clear that it couldn't be either or those!

MikB
18 hours ago, trajan said:

Well, if we go by SS's diagram, post 19, the source of which he does not give so who knows how reliable it is, then there is possibly still some 'composition, tracer' in there!

The round clearly flew a complete, uninterrupted trajectory, so the tracer element would've had time to burn right through. If it worked properly, any residue in the cavity will just be ash.

Oldleg
2 hours ago, MikB said:

The round clearly flew a complete, uninterrupted trajectory, so the tracer element would've had time to burn right through. If it worked properly, any residue in the cavity will just be ash.

There are indications of ash, like a white powder. 

MikB
1 hour ago, Oldleg said:

There are indications of ash, like a white powder. 

Dunno. Might still be poisonous, though! >:-o

Although thinking about it, that would probably violate one or more of the protocols/conventions, which the US wouldn't've done any time in the periods under discussion.

Edited by MikB

spof
18 minutes ago, MikB said:

Might still be poisonous, though!

And that warning for the general public who aren't sure about what they're handling is a good time to wrap up this off topic thread.

Glen

GWF Admin Team