Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

savysarah

Getting medals back from auction?

savysarah

Ive just found by typing soldier number into google John broughton awarded 5 medals but sold on auction 1997. I need to track them down.

If we are the decendents is there a law saying there ours?

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
Just now, savysarah said:

Ive just found by typing soldier number into google John broughton awarded 5 medals but sold on auction 1997. I need to track them down.

If we are the decendents is there a law saying there ours?

Nope.

Unless they were stolen from you.

Someone in your family presumably once owned them and decided to sell them.

Their title to ownership (and thus yours) ended then.

savysarah

Ah ok but hopefuly we can track down the long lost family and i will see what we can do .

Im on a mission.

The Inspector

Hi

If you are on Ancestry then you can leave a comment on the Medal Index Card for 26540 John Broughton RGA and any other records stating that you are hoping to retrieve the medals and bring them "home" to the family. You'll have to pay a lot more than the £100 they were sold for in 1997! They may already be owned by a family member or a collector. Send me a PM if you get stuck with searching.

Amelia Broughton (sister n of k) married Albert Kidman 8th Oct, 1892, Camden.....am I on the right track??

Regards Barry

Just read your other thread posted on 9th March, I suggest you keep to one otherwise it may lose momentum.

Edited by The Inspector

savysarah

If its a family member this may be what we need to connect ? il keep it on this thread as its a new subject medal i thought i should but i get you.

Thank you!!

Im going to ring up the company tommorow.

John broughton 1885 mother amelia and george broughton islington 7 sisters and brothers .

The Inspector

Hi

Yes, right one. 

Born 20th December 1885. His father, George, married Amelia Ford 20.10.1867 Clerkenwell.

John's brother, Frederick, born 1883, served as Pte 1133 RAMC. Service records on Ancestry, incorrectly indexed as 1138, gives addresses and siblings etc. Brother Henry Harry Broughton, b.1880, served 49 days as Pte 3322 Middlesex Regt, not likely to become an efficient soldier.

Regards Barry

Edited by The Inspector

savysarah

Ahh wow cool info thank you !! Helps so much btw medalf forum no one seems to help but ppl here are truly amazing thank you!

mancpal

Any chance of responding in English? I'm feeling like a bit of an old **** but it took me longer to decifer your abbreviations than my grandad served at the front.

Regards

Grumpy tired Simon

savysarah

Thank you for helping as medal forum hasnt people on here are amazing!

mancpal

Ta, 

Having recently sat on my only remaining pair of reading glasses I find it difficult to read much. I am also far from fluent in "modern" so you efforts to humour me are greatly appreciated,

Ageing fast,

Simon

caulkheader
18 hours ago, mancpal said:

Any chance of responding in English? I'm feeling like a bit of an old **** but it took me longer to decifer your abbreviations than my grandad served at the front.

Regards

Grumpy tired Simon

giggle.

Ilbury Welsh
On 25/03/2017 at 21:05, savysarah said:

Thank you for helping as medal forum hasnt people on here are amazing!

Of course many people are members of both Forums and having seen that members here have helped with identifying who your ancestor was have quite rightly decided not to duplicate information. 

The British Medal Forum has many requests each year from family members trying to locate their ancestors long lost medals and members will help if they know where they are at present, Although of course not all medal collectors are members of The BMF. However your first post here may have put off a collector who may legally own them at present, as it comes across that you want them given back. As indicated by one other BMF member 20 years is a long time in the life of a group and they could have changed hands several times. For instance medal dealers often buy stock at DNW so the original buyer could have resold them fairly quickly after. The present owner would have paid far more than £100.00 so would expect recompense to their full market value or perhaps exchange of an equivalent group. It was good of DNW to suggest The BMF but the search could take years. 

You can help yourself but searching dealers lists on a weekly basis, likewise auctions, details of which can be found on the index page of The BMF. Also set up an auto-search on Ebay for the surname.

Good luck with your search.

From another very helpful BMF member, John

savysarah

Thanks so much i dont mind paying more ?