Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

naught91

Interpreting Royal Navy service record

naught91

Hi all,

I was wondering if any could help me decipher this service file belonging to George Rose.

From looking at other topics on this forum, I see that the ship called the President was a granite ship and an accounting centre?

I can read the dates column and that he was invalided on 25th September 1918. However, i can't make sense of the places/ships or what his rating of ACII or, C1 means?

Also, with being invalided out, would he be entitled to a silver war badge. I can't seem to locate one.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Naval Service.jpg

horatio2
Posted (edited)

This RNAS rating (F.32760 (?) Aircraftman 2nd Grade [ACII], later Aircraftman 1st Grade [ACI]) almost certainly served in No.20 Squadron of the RNAS Armoured Cars. This unit was responsible for the trials, production, acceptance and delivery of tanks throughout WW1. Borne on the books of HMS PRESIDENT II until 1 April 1918, when the RNAS was merged with the RFC into the RAF, he was then placed on the books of HMS PRESIDENT V. PRESIDENT V administered those RNAS men who were loaned to the RAF, as well as men who did not transfer, including the men of 20 Squadron.

His drafts included Oldbury (Oldbury Carriage Works, Worcs.) one of the major tank production centres and Dollis Hill (NW London) a 20 Squadron trials establishment.

He would have been entitled to an SWB.

Edited by horatio2

naught91

Fantastic reply. Thank you very much.

Yes, the service number is F.32760. I cut the top part off as the site has restricted the upload size of files in the past. George was listed as a miner in a previous occupation so it is exciting to learn he developed new skills!

Is there any specific book which focuses on the 20th Squadron? or should i generally just look for books on the theme of the development of the FWW tank? Any further reading recommendations would be welcomed.

horatio2

Perhaps the forum's resident 'tankies' can recommend a book which deals with 20 Squadron in some detail. Despite its vital contribution to the introduction of the tank, most books I have seen relegate 20 Squadron to a passing commentary or footnote, placing more emphasis on battles than development and procurement.

Sidearm

I can't think of a book specifically about Squadron 20. I research tank production so the unit is something I have an interest in. What exactly are you looking for? 

Gwyn

naught91

Hi there,

Im looking for any information on the subject of tank production at Oldbury Carriage Works, Worcs. 

Also, any information regarding Dollis Hill and it's role during the war.

Any further information to horatio's excellent post would be most welcome.

seaJane

There are a couple of threads on Dollis Hill available by forum search facility. Also http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/82.

For Oldbury, this from the Black Country Museum: http://www.blackcountrymuse.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12773506-oldbury-tanks-ww1-1916-

sJ

Sidearm

I have a lot of information on tank production at Oldbury but I'm not prepared to release all of it in response to a general enquiry.  You'll understand it's on-going research that has already consumed a lot of my time and money.  Is there something in particular you want to know?  

Gwyn

naught91
On 2017-5-14 at 21:10, seaJane said:

There are a couple of threads on Dollis Hill available by forum search facility. Also http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/82.

For Oldbury, this from the Black Country Museum: http://www.blackcountrymuse.com/apps/forums/topics/show/12773506-oldbury-tanks-ww1-1916-

sJ

Thank you very much. Some interesting information!.

7 hours ago, Sidearm said:

I have a lot of information on tank production at Oldbury but I'm not prepared to release all of it in response to a general enquiry.  You'll understand it's on-going research that has already consumed a lot of my time and money.  Is there something in particular you want to know?  

Gwyn

That's no problem at all. I can appreciate the countless hours which have gone into your research. I mainly wanted to know what type of tanks they were designing or what was generally happening at Oldbury during August-September 1917? 

Sidearm
Posted (edited)

In that period the works at Oldbury were building Mark IV Females.  Design work was carried out at Metro's Saltley works.

Squadron 20 was also testing tanks on what was known as the Tank Field to the rear of the factory complex.

Gwyn 

Edited by Sidearm
Originally two posts

naught91

Thank you for the insight. Your help is very much appreciated.