Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

AndrewFrench

We have recently acquired a copy of an album of photos belonging to Lieut CB Krabbe Berkshire Yeomanry covering his time on the beaches at Suvla during his time as Beach staff for IX Corps as an A.W.L.O. I propose to post these for the enjoyment and discussion of members

These first three were taken on the HMAS Berrima between 2nd - 6th August 1915 sailing from Alexandria.

From top to bottom they show

Lieut C.B. Krabbe 1/1st Berks Yeomanry

Anzac Troops on board

Possibly Major Sir R Baker 1/1st Dorset Yeo

591eeec018452_53-3.KrabbeonboardHMASBerrima2-6Aug1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.e218334829ae03a2a24914c9837e952a.jpg

591eeee062522_58-1.OnboardSSBerrimaAug1915toGallipoliAugust1915.KrabbeAlbum.jpg.d596029247c51c4c577bb7f17cda4029.jpg

591eeed2da138_54-1.UnknownYeoofficer.HMASBerrimaAug1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.ef4d3dc882541310018dfe1518521c52.jpg

Colin W Taylor
Posted (edited)

Andrew,

I have an interest in Military Landing Officers (MLOs) and Assistant MLOs. I believe that Lt Krabbe was one of the latter; I found his name during a previous thread on MLOs when I was researching them for a Gallipoli tour.  I think it was from a list in the Appendices to the Official History. His officer file (link below) may have some additional information.

I've found a few personal accounts on their work from the IWM (I have photos of Lt Col/Major? Baker's letters but I don't think he mentioned Krabbe; though I will re-check) and there is also mention of a few sources on the thread below.  It's very interesting to be able to put faces to a name and see what they were wearing when they went ashore.

May I ask if the album is the one held in the IWM collection (link below)? If so I very much regret not looking at it when I was last there and may get a few photos next time I visit.

I have been meaning to submit an article to the Gallipolean regarding the different MLOs but keep putting it off. I'll have to get back to it!

Many thanks for sharing

Colin 

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205006485

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C710376

Edited by Colin W Taylor

AndrewFrench

Hi Colin

Thanks for response. A colleague obtained a series of high quality photocopies of Krabbe's album and I surmise these are copies of the one in the IWM. However I have never looked at this (but it is on my "to do" list).

I got the information below from an appendix of the war diary of the 2nd Mtd Division.

S E C R E T

F O R C E  O R D E R    No. 25
General Headquarters

2nd August, 1915

. . . .

4. The following naval and military beach control personnel have been appointed for the landing places of the IXth Corps:-

Principle Beach Master

Beach Masters

Asst. Beach Masters & 4 Lieutenant Commanders R.N.

Beach Lieuts.       10 Lieutenants R.N.

Beach Party

Principle Mil. L.O. Col. W.G.B. Western C.B.

Mil. L.O's.         Maj. F.W. Peacock. Derbyshire Yeo.   

Maj. Sir R. Baker Dorset. Yeo.

Capt. Tylson Wright A.S.C.

Asst. Mil. L.O's. Capt. Wade Palmer. Derbyshire Yeo. 

Capt. B.A. Smith S. Notts. Hussars   

Lt. H.V. Browne Dorset Yeo.

Lt. C.B. Krabbe Berks. Yeo.[1]

[1]    Lieutenant Krabbe's medal card gives his first theatre of war as "Gallipoli Aug 6th 1915" This of course should be Alexandria 21-4-1915, but gives indication of when the above party landed at Gallipoli.     

Can you clear up one point for me A.M.L.O. - Landing Officer or Liaison Officer ?

Regards

Andrew

AndrewFrench

Hi Colin,

I forgot to mention we have Krabbe's personal record you mention. Like most of its kind it has been weeded of any operational details just leaving the least interesting pages, mostly on his resignation; the record runs to 16 pages. We have page 1 of his commission application which gives  his school as Dulwich College but probably a year or two after PG Wodehouse (also Raymond Chandler but not sure of his dates)

591fcb5223445_54-2.SuvlabeachesGallipoliAug1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.ff496c28ec55b4a2cd4db0b7dff40fac.jpg

This the next photo in the sequence (unannotated) but seemingly of Suvla (which beach though I wonder ?)

Rgds

Andrew

michaeldr
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, AndrewFrench said:

Can you clear up one point for me A.M.L.O. - Landing Officer or Liaison Officer ?

Assistant Military Landing Officer

see OH (Append. Vol.2) Appendix 4, p.29

591fef8a815a8_LandingOfficersSuvlaAug1915.jpg.e239f96e9df6823eea698392bb14598f.jpg

regards

Michael

Edited by michaeldr

michaeldr
2 hours ago, AndrewFrench said:

the next photo in the sequence (unannotated) but seemingly of Suvla (which beach though I wonder ?)

Possibly (?) piers 6 & 7 at Kangaroo Beach

see sketch plan from the RE History Vol.VI

591ff2cf014ea_MapSuvlapiersetc.thumb.jpg.da9c0b546b395acb5cc7ad36c8f9d0b7.jpg

michaeldr
Posted (edited)

WreckofHMSLouisMAP.jpg

This is a crop from a sketch map to which I no longer have access as it was on an old disc now technically out of date and unsupported

However it does give the position of the wreck of HMS Louis, which I believe can be seen on the right in your picture

This tends to confirm my original guess that your photograph is of the piers at Kangaroo Beach

As does the line of partly submerged rocks (also seen on the right)

Edited by michaeldr

QGE
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Assistant Military Landing Officer

see OH (Append. Vol.2) Appendix 4, p.29

591fef8a815a8_LandingOfficersSuvlaAug1915.jpg.e239f96e9df6823eea698392bb14598f.jpg

regards

Michael

Interestingly Wade Palmer was a Sherwood Ranger, not Derbyshire Yeomanry. The 1914-15 Star medal roll and the History of the Sherwood Rangers confirms. 

Separately there were a few more Yeomanry Officers employed as MLOs at ANZAC.

Lt Darcy  - Sherwood Rangers

Maj Bruce - South Notts Hussars

Maj E T Chamberlayne - Warwickshire Yeomanry  - received the DSO for his work as an MLO at ANZAC

Sir Randolf Baker Bt was DAA &QMG MLO Beaches. 

Edited by QGE

AndrewFrench

Thanks for the replies Michael and QDE. I will update the notes I am writing to accompany the album.

I have plenty of time at present as I am getting at 0545 each mornings when our new puppy wakes up and starts howling. Because of this I have just spent very informative hour-and-a-half looking on at GWF posting on "Beetles" and QGE's 2013 thread on "Weston-Jarvis's" August 1915 photos. I have his a copy of his diaries published recently. Going completely off-topic a moment, I recently heard on  an old radio programme, Sir Peter Ustinov telling that Weston-Jarvis published some anecdotes in the 1920s 1930s entitled "Jottings from an active life," and It seems he was the person who first recorded Rhodes famous remark "To be born English is to win first prize in the lottery of life"

To continue - next photo taken above what seems to be a rocky fore-shore. The animals nearest the camera I would guess are mules judging from their ears, with in the middle a jumble of wagons GS. In the background nearest the sea is a line of men on horses (can one ride mules?). Tentage in the foreground. The quality of the original is not great.

592131c28fd10_54-3.SuvlabeachesGallipoliAug1915.Krabbealbum.thumb.jpg.aad3b38349677e976060ff575a5e5b83.jpg

The next page give us better quality image. This shows the top end of one of the "pier" although not the one posted earlier as

the legs in the one below have a cross piece over. Immediately to the front is a sandbagged dugout reading "COMMANDANT ADV. BASE." which can be seen in a later photo. Officer in deck-chair to front.

5921335de6f41_55-1.Suvla1915.Krabbealbum.thumb.jpg.6b609e7a497b5606f0ef32f678eee63a.jpg

This last photo below I found in a book published by the Daily Mail but without any attribution but is of the same location as you will see in a later photo.

5921344357a64_609thCorpsLiaisonOfficersinclLieutCBKrabbe.DailyMailBook.jpg.979df7ed8266ed8d8c4ceffafee1a458.jpg

Andrew

Colin W Taylor
23 hours ago, QGE said:

Interestingly Wade Palmer was a Sherwood Ranger, not Derbyshire Yeomanry. The 1914-15 Star medal roll and the History of the Sherwood Rangers confirms. 

Separately there were a few more Yeomanry Officers employed as MLOs at ANZAC.

Lt Darcy  - Sherwood Rangers

Maj Bruce - South Notts Hussars

Maj E T Chamberlayne - Warwickshire Yeomanry  - received the DSO for his work as an MLO at ANZAC

Sir Randolf Baker Bt was DAA &QMG MLO Beaches. 

Gents,

Apologies for the error regarding Baker - I'd gone off the description on the IWM catalogue.  QGE - can I ask the source of that piece of info; I'd not heard of him described as DAA&QMG.

I compiled a skeleton list of different MLOs on the different Gallipoli beaches; if it's of any interest I'll dig it out.

I couldn't make a sound judgement on the location of the photo in post 4 - I could see is as Kangaroo as Michael states but could possibly one of several without more reference points.  I presume it is fairly soon after the landing; the pontoon piers don't seem to sturdy and I cannot see the reason for so many rowing boats.  I think the maps above were from late in the campaign when the beach logistics were more established. The latter map is from the Official History.     

The photo in the post above is a cropped version of an IWM one - http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205248648.  There are a number of IWM photos online of the Suvla beaches which would be worth comparing to Krabbe's.

Andrew - I would love to see more if you are willing to post them.

Many thanks

Colin

QGE
49 minutes ago, Colin W Taylor said:

Gents,

Apologies for the error regarding Baker - I'd gone off the description on the IWM catalogue.  QGE - can I ask the source of that piece of info; I'd not heard of him described as DAA&QMG.

Colin

Colin - it was a note I made to the nominal roll. On my transcriptions of the diaries I have added the list of Officers and add info as and when I find it. I cant recall the exact reference but it will almost certainly be either from one of the diary pages possibly at Brigade level (I have the old pdfs before they were taken off the TNA website) or from the published history. If I find the ref I will revert. I have hundreds of photographed pages from TNA relating to the Yeomanry at Gallipoli as this was my original area of interest in the Great War. I am 99.9% confident the ref to DAA&QMG is not a mistake. 

michaeldr
Posted (edited)

It may be useful to refer to the notes (bottom LH corner) on the RE sketch,which list and describe each of the piers

Only three are given as being of a “trestle” type – 5, 6 & 7

and each of these is noted as having “stood Nov gale” ie they were not later rebuilt

The rest of the piers are given as

1 – stone jetty

2 – moveable gangways

3 – stone & crib pier

4 – quay, jetty & gangway

8 – old stone jetty

9 – light crib pier

Edited by michaeldr

AndrewFrench

Thank you everybody for your latest comments on pier constructions which I have noted and for the link to the IWM photo.

The next two photographs in the sequence like the others are unannotated. I don't recognise any of the officers seen.

59228aa173629_55-2.Suvla1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.6a19cc896d1f397cf2fb15138433fa1b.jpg59228aa4479f9_55-3.Suvla1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.738c5ee4227c85bdac46149e37437c18.jpg

The third is photo is back to the pair of piers / jetties seen earlier. If one assumes that the photos are inserted into the album in chronological order further construction and strengthening of the pier has taken place. There are now 6 boats (as opposed to 4) supporting the far end of the nearest pontoon. There are now more than 4 pairs of uprights and diagonal strutting has been inserted between the legs as bracing.

59228aa6ba6bd_55-4.Suvla1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.b591d3c88c2ad433114ed6938e0dade5.jpg

This now appears to be the same pier/jetty/pontoon as has the officers in their sandbagged sanger on the far near out of camera view.

Andrew

QGE
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Colin W Taylor said:

Gents,

Colin

Colin - the source is the "Records of the Dorset Yeomanry 1914 -1919", page 9.

"Major Sir Randolf Baker, Bart., and Lieut H V Browne had preceded the regiment for employment, the former as Acting DAA and QMG and the latter as Military Landing Officer on the Gallipoli Peninsula; while Lieut SirT E K Lees Bart was appointed Aide-de-Camp to Brigadier the Earl of Longford and Captain G V Carter ADC in Mesopotamia.

MG

Edited by QGE

michaeldr
14 hours ago, Colin W Taylor said:

I couldn't make a sound judgement on the location of the photo in post 4 - I could see is as Kangaroo as Michael states but could possibly one of several without more reference points.  I presume it is fairly soon after the landing;

Colin,

I'm inclined to think that it is a little later in the campaign

The trestle construction method was not the first to be used at Suvla

but rather they used pontoons: see https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P11155.001.001

The trestle type was introduced later - this one at West Beach is dated September

see https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P11155.009.001

regards

Michael

ShirlD

Really enjoying this thread, thank you all

cheers

Shirley

Colin W Taylor

Michael,

I'm definitely not an expert on jetties but to my uneducated eye the Post 4 picture was a pontoon pier and the number of spare rowing boats could be evidence of recent completion of construction of the trestles in place, I would assess the first AWM picture just shows the 'boat' end of a similar trestle pier.

My statement on the dating would be based on the above point and these below:

• I would presume the album would have photos in roughly chronological order. 
  • With regards to the wreck of the Louis I had presumed the 'dots' near the headland were rocks - though I'm not sure what the wreck looked like and when it sank.
  • The ships off the coast look like a sizeable fleet indicative of a recent landing. I would presume these would have thinned considerably over time due to the submarine threat with supply ships travelling from the islands and not anchoring off shore in such numbers.

I will look in some of the accounts I've seen to see when the first piers were constructed - but I think some were within a matter of days. I'm not 'hard over' on the early dating of this photo but discussion is of benefit so that these pictures on the forum, kindly shared by Andrew, which may be of interest to others in the future, have some context and analysis added. I regret that I've not previously seen the former of two maps you've shown - I'd not realised the amount of infrastructure on the headland where HQ IX Corps HQ was - I've previously overlooked this area on visits.

QGE

Many thanks for the reference - apologies for the error above. I had assume he was an MLO throughout the Suvla campaign and involved at quite a high level in beach logistics though this was at odds with Western being in charge as PMLO - a separate staff appointment does explain Baker's inolvement.  I'll have a scan through Baker's letters and see if there is a reference to a change in his appointment and interaction with Western. 

Regards

Colin

michaeldr
1 hour ago, Colin W Taylor said:

I will look in some of the accounts I've seen to see when the first piers were constructed

Colin,

It will certainly be useful to have more info here and I look forward to your analysis of what you find in those accounts.

I regret that there is very little to go on in the RE History

Vol.VI, p.56/7 - “Eleven piers were ultimately constructed on the Suvla coast. Of these Nos.1, 2 & 3 were sited on the open sea beaches outside and just to the north of Suvla Bay. Nos. 4 to 9 formed a group inside the bay on its northern and rather more sheltered shore. No. 10 was on the original A beach, just north of the Cut. The eleventh, called South Pier, was two miles to the south and just inside the southern end of Suvla Bay. Only two of these piers, Nos. 5 & 6 were constructed during the first three days of the landing*....................

By 9th August two piers were in working order at the north of Suvla Bay, one of steel lighters with barrel-pier gangways and the other of pontoons. Their construction, much delayed by the change in the site, had been largely the work of the very efficient RANBT, who later built most of the other Suvla piers.”

p.65 - “The eleven piers in the Suvla area were all in various stages of completion or utility by the end of September.”

So the work of building the piers continued for quite some time after the initial landings in early August

*I don't think that in post 4 we are looking at Nos. 5 & 6 as the were not in the same inlet (5 was in what became 'Little West Beach' and 6 in 'Kangaroo Beach' ). In fact, per the RE History's sketch plan only 6 & 7 were so adjacent to one another

I hope that your research can throw further light on this

regards

Michael

QGE
1 hour ago, Colin W Taylor said:

QGE  Many thanks for the reference - apologies for the error above. I had assume he was an MLO throughout the Suvla campaign and involved at quite a high level in beach logistics though this was at odds with Western being in charge as PMLO - a separate staff appointment does explain Baker's inolvement.  I'll have a scan through Baker's letters and see if there is a reference to a change in his appointment and interaction with Western. 

Regards

Colin

Colin,  - no apologies are needed. This is an arcane subject and the references are few and far between. The source is by no means definitive and Baker may well have changed roles at some stage in the Campaign, given the high attrition due to sickness. Note that he is described as Acting DAA & QMG which (to me suggests a temporary role which (I assume) was for the 2nd Mounted Div (in its dismounted role) on the Peninsula. I suspect that the 2nd Mounted Div was particularly short of Staff Officers given most of their logistic tail was back in Egypt with most of the vehicles and horses.  As an improvised force many Officers were fulfilling roles that they had little or no training for. I suspect one could count the number of Officers "psc" on  one hand in the Division.  I suspect the PMLOs and the DAA &QMG worked within yards of each other. 

QGE
Posted (edited)

I would concur with Michael that it is likely Kangaroo Beach. It appears to be the only one with two piers that would fit. Also note that the AMLO dugouts were immediately adjacent to the RE Park nearest the southernmost pier.

The furthest pier in the photo looks as if there is rolling stock on the pier which would be consistent with the track.

Kangaroo Beach.JPG

Edited by QGE
spelling

Colin W Taylor
Posted (edited)

Michael, QGE,

The double piers bring me round to your line of thinking that it is Kangaroo Beach. I'm of the view that the Post 4 picture is August earlier but I'm in two minds about the time for the picture in Post 13 which is later. I'm sure we can work together to identify the dates which could be between August and October. It does depend on the background pier for the latter picture and if there is some form of horse-drawn tramway on it, which on closer inspection, there is, unlike the Post 4 picture which looks like a roadway. 

Whilst I can find no war diary for the RANBT there is a soldier's diary on the AWM (https://www.awm.gov.au/images/collection/bundled/RCDIG0001342.pdf). Early piers here were constructed by the RANBT (after whom the bay was named) in early August:

11 August:

'At 7.30am we fell in and erected a trestle and pontoon bridge on Kangaroo Beach ...'

Next day:

'The hands were employed in erecting a trestle bridge from the shore to our trestles which consisted of four trestles...'

Either the first quote refers to two different bridges (both a pontoon bridge and a trestle bridge - unlikely) or it exactly describes the left hand bridge at Kangaroo Beach put in within days of the landing. A scan of this document did not mention the building of a second pier by the RANBT. There are several pictures on the AWM which show the 4 trestle pontoon pier dated August 1915.

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P11155.003.001

And both piers in September:

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/A01260/

https://www.awm.gov.au/collection/P11155.004.001 

The caption to the latter suggests that the pontoons (like the 4 trestle pontoon pier above) were replaced by 'crib' piers in September.

As the caption for the middle linked picture suggests they are both more permanent 'crib' piers and do not show the pontoon 'end' on the near pier in Pots 4 and 13. I would presume that the picture in Post 13 is from during the time when both piers were being rebuilt - the northern one was done and the trestle pier from 10-11 August, which had been improved with more trestles, was yet to be replaced.  The diary above does not record much in terms of pier making after early August so presumably another section of the RANBT or the RE did the work.

The same diary source states the Louis ran aground on 30 October.  The wreck of a vessel directly behind the piers in Post 13 is not likely to be the Louis as it's too close in  to the beach. 

I'm more interested in MLOs than piers but understanding what infrastructure was in place and when is important.

Andrew - I hope this debate isn't a distraction!

Regards

Colin

Edited by Colin W Taylor

Colin W Taylor
Posted (edited)

Andrew,

Baker suggests that the life of the beaches was a busy one without much rest for himself, and presumably the MLOs also:

‘… constant landing of stores and supplies and reinforcements most nights. I am very hard worked and have little or no time for letters or writing, or anything else, except meals and sleep. I start out about or sometimes 6, and go on till [sic] 7.30 at night, constantly on my legs, and working brain all I can. I manage to get time for 3 meals at irregular intervals. At present I still have to run the sending of water to 3 divisions, and a lot of other units as well, and have now two clerks working at general work, and at labour problems. I have to allot all the labour to the various people who want it, in the beach area, at present it comes from the “Anson” Battalion & another brigade of 4 battalions … Each evening I have to settle where 1000 men are to work & what hours, & to see that they all arrive properly. I suppose some day the work will get less, but at present every day seems to have new problems. However it is intensely interesting & I love the work & I am getting a certain amount of kudos for it.’

Your pictures above, presumably some of them MLOs, show them getting a bit of respite at least.

Baker states on 6 August the following:

'Yesterday we found out what our work was to be, that we were also to be MLOs and I am to have command of one beach with Harold Browne under me and K. [Krabbe?] of the Berks Yeomanry under me...'

This would place him as a AMLO on A Beach East which is where the IWM situated Baker on landing.

With regards to the pictures above - the officer on the right in the upper photo in Post 13 looks similar to the LHS officer at this link - http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205248830 - Capt Alexander Leith, Northumberland Hussars. Any thoughts?

Regards

Colin 

Edited by Colin W Taylor
Link added

AndrewFrench

Hi everybody

I am more than happy for the topic to go off in another direction. Have had time this morning to reading all the above and look forward to looking at them all later this evening.

In the meantime here is the next photo in the sequence. I think same tabbed staff officer as in 1st photo in post 13 but this time wearing armband (as he is on duty as MLO etc. ?) see also below taken from EBay some years ago

5924082cc0494_56-1.SuvlabeachareaGallipoliAug1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.1d7ae5f12ac3b5a30910767d39ea5fdc.jpg

5924097b31ad8_embakationstaffandMLOarmbands.jpg.d73f3323b3edd9d5a35d182dc7238cba.jpg

Regards

Andrew

michaeldr

Andrew,

Good to see the deck-chair-with-arms. As a mature (& perhaps spoilt) infantry reservist, I remember that what I missed most in the field was somewhere descent to sit

ie a chair with arms. It's funny what one picks out as important at such times.

regards

Michael

Andrew Upton
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, michaeldr said:

Good to see the deck-chair-with-arms. As a mature (& perhaps spoilt) infantry reservist, I remember that what I missed most in the field was somewhere descent to sit ie a chair with arms. It's funny what one picks out as important at such times.

If you mean the one visible in post 13, it's known as a Roorkhee chair:

http://www.atimetoget.com/2009/03/roorkhee-chair.html

Edited by Andrew Upton