Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

AndrewFrench

Michael  / Andrew  I remember seeing somewhere on our G1098, deck chairs comprising chairs deck deck and chairs deck chair. I think the fold flats we had in our command post were without arms but cannot be sure.

Colin  Yes I believe this is the same officer you suggest - Capt A Leith

Going back to the photo in post 9, here is a comparison between Sir R Baker in the Dorset Yeo history and the above photo. Same man or different ?

592464e1cbc34_BakerSirR.jpg.2f5e70df6e632b6ffa1a090d33b4f373.jpg

Regards for now.

N.B. Will post next photo later this evening after my run

AndrewFrench

Next photo in the sequence. In Suvla bay with unknown freighter and smaller lighter (Beetle?) loaded with men for the shore. If taken from Kangaroo beach then looking due south to Nebrunesi point at the other end of the bay.

592470d71041b_56-2.SuvlabeachareaGallipoliAug1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.8746a9c6cfbd8f85deebe9a3d491e9fd.jpg

QGE
22 minutes ago, AndrewFrench said:

Next photo in the sequence. In Suvla bay with unknown freighter and smaller lighter (Beetle?) loaded with men for the shore. If taken from Kangaroo beach then looking due south to Nebrunesi point at the other end of the bay.

592470d71041b_56-2.SuvlabeachareaGallipoliAug1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.8746a9c6cfbd8f85deebe9a3d491e9fd.jpg

look how high the ship is sitting in the water. Clarly having unloaded its cargo. 

AndrewFrench

QGE - Looking again this morning and enjoying again the Weston Jarvis threat you posted some year back.

This time the command post / office is with a tent rather than sandbagged. Possibly before that structure and jetties were built?

592689534e02d_56-3.SuvlabeachareaGallipoliAug1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.3a4cb4013728bec0d60fb1ba29083e8a.jpg

Lieut Krabbe possibly slumped in deck chair far right

592689567f5f8_56-4.SuvlabeachareaGallipoliAug1915.Krabbealbum.thumb.jpg.3df41a0f62cf3e8d4b77067efc20ed12.jpg

For the next photos I think we will need a Naval expert on board as the next photos are of ships in the bay.

AndrewFrench
Posted (edited)

Firstly a photograph of two-funnelled naval vessel within Suvla Bay possibly with troops on board on the rear part under an awning.

59293ce577b29_57-1.SuvlabayGallipoliAug1915.Krabbealbum-straightened.thumb.jpg.bf2591fc539a725705f467be3384c16b.jpg

Next - men stand on top end of the ramp of a "beetle" with men working in the foreground with shovels. A jetty can be easily discerned in the background however the details are fuzzy.

59293ce839ca8_57-2.SuvlaBeachGallipoliAug1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.a2770921ee7a212c5e887e629686fac9.jpg

Regards

Andrew

Edited by AndrewFrench
tidying up post

michaeldr
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, AndrewFrench said:

Firstly a photograph of two-funnelled naval vessel within Suvla Bay possibly with troops on board on the rear part under an awning.

59293ce577b29_57-1.SuvlabayGallipoliAug1915.Krabbealbum-straightened.thumb.jpg.bf2591fc539a725705f467be3384c16b.jpg

PhotoWW1-01bbAlbion1-1911MQ.JPG

Andrew,

I'd say your photograph is of HMS Albion

caught at a similar angle in the 1911 picture credited to Maritime Quest

Michael

Caveat: Looking at Albion's log, if it is her, then the photograph was probably taken at Mudros not Suvla

Albion left Mudros for Salonika on 4th October

Edited by michaeldr
caveat

AndrewFrench

Thanks very much Michael

I am back at work now so gaps will be longer between posts. I will try and get the next page done tonight.

Regards

Andrew

AndrewFrench

The next two on page 58 comprise:

Firstly a photograph presumable taken on HMAS Berrima in which Krabbe travelled from Alexandria

5930493ca8afb_58-1.OnboardSSBerrimaAug1915toGallipoliAugust1915.KrabbeAlbum.jpg.125d04f8ae1b0a7d984c9389460cd1b0.jpg

It would be interesting to know who these Australians troops are ? I have been on the AWM site but it doesn't help.

I don't recall this rock formation below on the main Suvla beach. Are we on Kangaroo beach again?

593048dbd05c3_58-2.Krabbealbum.thumb.jpg.f4028da6bb2e0fb1fb0eca0db6c05175.jpg

Colin W Taylor

Andrew,

I had presumed they were reinforcing drafts rather than formed units.  The war diary for the embarkation officer for Mudros records the Berrima arriving on 3 August containing reinforcements for the ANZAC Division and details; these were moved to ANZAC Cove the same day; I presume still on board the Berrima.  I'm not sure if these drafts could be traced to a specific numbered 'reinforcement' for different AIF battalions by comparing their arrival across the different battalion war diaries.  Whilst I know the reinforcement draft rolls are available for these drafts on leaving Australia I'm not sure if they were recorded for those going from Egypt to Gallipoli.  Of note (according to Baker) the 10 detached officers on board, of which baker and Krabbe were two, were told they would be MLOs on arriving at Mudros by an MLO; three went to ANZAC and the remaining 7 were destined for Suvla.

The beach rock formation does not look familiar but I've not visited every beach area; they are not widely spread apart so it's not inconceivable that he traveled to a different beach in the Suvla area but they are much flatter and sandier further south so it is more likely, in my view, to be within the 'base' area in the northern part of the perimeter.

Regards

COlin 

michaeldr
On 6/2/2017 at 02:49, Colin W Taylor said:

they are not widely spread apart so it's not inconceivable that he traveled to a different beach in the Suvla area but they are much flatter and sandier further south so it is more likely, in my view, to be within the 'base' area in the northern part of the perimeter.

Happy to agree with Colin here

The acute angle of the strata and its occasional 'honeycomb' look, are both typical of the northern end of the Suvla bay area towards Suvla Point (including what eventually became IXth Corps HQ area). I regret that from the image shown I cannot be more specific

regards

Michael

AndrewFrench
Posted (edited)

Thank you for the last two postings in which I agree on both points.

Unfortunately we are coming to the end of these photos.

Firstly a rather blurry photo taken down a trench sap or dugout ?

5935bf82713a6_58-3.Krabbealbum.jpg.65b57e8fb0b3dbf0cda5d7b98e65f5c7.jpg

Next a photo in order within the archive but out of chronological sequence, presumably to note his death on August 21st 1915.

5935c06d01fe9_59-1.Br-GenLordLongford.BHQRaynhamMarch1915.Krabbealbum-Cropped.thumb.jpg.05afc2773e40b238adbe7dfa824976de.jpg

Brigadier General Lord Longford, taken at Raynham Hall, Norfolk. Brigade H.Q. of the 2nd South Midland Mounted Brigade, circa March 1915. (March if the flowers in the background in front of the trees are daffodils?)

Regards

Andrew

Edited by AndrewFrench
add detail on daffodils

AndrewFrench
Posted (edited)

Sadly with these three we come to the end of this archive.

This well-known photo is believed to have been taken by Captain AG Parham 2nd Bde Chaplain and is taken from the slopes of Chocolate Hill. I argued at the Gallipoli Association AGM in 2015 that this was the start of the advance to contact of the 2nd Bde setting out from Chocolate Hill.

59383536260d6_59-2.Suvla21-8-1915.Krabbealbum.thumb.jpg.9e9b0fc037beb8984196b4c8d3b97f1c.jpg593835539660a_59-3.ORsinclWellsWhitfield.SuvlaSept1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.9e49465d647e64079fbaa2d9ce848ead.jpg

These last two are taken in the trenches with the Berkshire Yeomanry. It is still dry so between the time the regiment went into the trenches in late August and the first rains. Front line rather than reserve trenches I assume?

593836f2584e8_59-4.HughesunknwnThrockmortonLloydJonesTBCSuvlaSept1915.Krabbealbum.jpg.8bb0bc2d052a9ea438756b107898d042.jpg

Major R Hughes (standing on the left) arrived from Egypt in September to take command after successive COs killed wounded or invalided. His temp promotion to Lieut-Col dates from 25-09-1915.

If anyone is interested there are many more photos taken in and around Alexandria and Cairo taken by Krabbe before he left for the peninsular.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by AndrewFrench
spelling

QGE

Andrew

Many thanks for posting the photos. Most illuminating. I am extremely grateful for the opportunity to see these. I would be interested in the Egypt photos too. 

The panorama photo in the last post showing men marching across a plain looks like the advance of the 2nd Mtd Div from Lala Baba towards Chocolate Hill with the Salt Lake (mostly dried up) on their left. As far as I can see the men are moving away from the photographer. The Chaplain and Stretcher Bearers would have been following the Division at a safe distance. There are some diary entries recording the  SB and Chaplains' heroics when rescuing the wounded after being shelled among the burning holly oaks.

The ground from Chocolate Hill towards the areas of Scimitar Hill, Hill 112, W Hills and Hetman Chair doesn't resemble the photo as they have no wide open flat areas or indeed any water feature. The ground between Chocolate Hill and the Turks was fairly lumpy. 

I think Michaeldr and I debated this photo some years back. It is nevertheless a rare photo of men going into action at Gallipoli. 

MG