Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Bernard_Lewis

Adolf Hitler at Mametz Wood?

Bernard_Lewis

I've been told that David Jones (author, In Parentheses etc) stated that Hitler had served at Mametz Wood in 1916. Anyone know if this is true, please? 

Bernard

seaJane

I don't remember having seen it written in any of David Jones's books. 

That doesn't mean I haven't seen it and forgotten it!

sJ

WhiteStarLine

List Regiment:

• January 1916 Fromelles lines
  • July Action at Fromelles;
  • August - September, recovery Fromelles;
  • September (late), in reserve vic, Bapaume;
  • October Le Barque-Bapaume sector;
  • 5 October wounded, evacuated via Hermies, Beelitz (near Berlin) 9 October.

The Prussian

Hello!

WhiteStarLine ist right. Hitler was about 90km away from mametz.

I can recommend a book about his army time. (German language, 152 pages)

"Der Gefreite Adolf Hitler 1914-1920"

ISBN 978-3-902475-48-0

corisande

Have a look at this link - click

" The result of all this is Das Itinerar (The Itinerary)—a 2,400-page book that lists where the Führer spent each day of his life and documents the means of transportation he used to get there and what he did in each place—down to the number of audience members at speeches and events. "

The Prussian
Posted (edited)

corisande

You seem like a rich man to me :-)

The reason I made that post was that it was the first reference I got to when searching just now

There are a number of web sites that follow Hitler on a day be day basis. They are very detailed. I had reason to follow Hitler in WW1 a few years ago when researching Casements Irish Brigade, the Irish POWs recruited to fight for the Germans (a spectacularly unsuccessful venture) . One of the men, Keogh, claimed he had saved Hitler from death in Feb 1919, when he was an orderly sergeant in Turken Strasse Barracks . I wanted to know if Hitler was in the Turken Strasse Barracks in Munich in Feb 1919 . I found a number of these online sites documents Hitlers day by day life

Bernard_Lewis

Thanks, all. I'll file it under 'myth', then...

Bernard

The Prussian
Posted (edited)
56 minutes ago, corisande said:

You seem like a rich man to me :-)

The reason I made that post was that it was the first reference I got to when searching just now

There are a number of web sites that follow Hitler on a day be day basis. They are very detailed. I had reason to follow Hitler in WW1 a few years ago when researching Casements Irish Brigade, the Irish POWs recruited to fight for the Germans (a spectacularly unsuccessful venture) . One of the men, Keogh, claimed he had saved Hitler from death in Feb 1919, when he was an orderly sergeant in Turken Strasse Barracks . I wanted to know if Hitler was in the Turken Strasse Barracks in Munich in Feb 1919 . I found a number of these online sites documents Hitlers day by day life

Rich? Yes, but only on kilograms... :D

Well, the book I mentioned, says, that Hitler was in december 1918 in Traunstein. He cam feb 12, 1919 to the 2nd demobilization-company of Ers.Btl./2.Inf.Rgt. Munich. That Ers.Btl. came feb 17, 1919 intoi the barracks of München-Oberwiesenfeld. Since feb 20, 1919 that company were guards at the munic main railway-station. Hitler was member of those guards. This service lasted until march 8.

It would be interesting, when exactly Keogh seemed to save him!

Note. I own a lot of books about Hitlers life, in none of them a name "Keogh" is mentioned...

Edited by The Prussian

Dai Bach y Sowldiwr
1 hour ago, The Prussian said:

It would be interesting, when exactly Keogh seemed to save him!

Note. I own a lot of books about Hitlers life, in none of them a name "Keogh" is mentioned...

Was this before or after Keogh's visit to Blarney Castle?