Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Mouse

Graves at Netley 1919

Mouse

Some more of my Great Uncles Photos. If any one recognises the names, please let me know.

Mouse

scan0009.jpg

scan0010.jpg

scan0011.jpg

jgreen

These are wonderful photos. May I reuse them on my Netley site please? If so, who do I credit them to?

Thank you for posting them.

petestarling

A wonderful photograph. The cemetery is so interesting each time I visit.

Mouse

Yes do use them. They were taken by my great Uncle. Thomas Howard Wilcox, Royal Garrison Artillery, 1919/20.

The first one of the funeral. The patients could not attend the funerals, only the officers. So I think my Uncle must have hidden some where to take this picture. I made me laugh as when I knew him he was very round and I couldn't imagine him being able to hide.

He went back in 1969 I think to find to grave of Capt R F Gill, but was unable to find it. I don't know anything about the names on other photograph but probably have photographs of them but with no names on them.

I am still going through his thing so if i find any more i will let you know.

Mouse

Mouse

Hi Pete

If you come across Capt R F Gill s grave when you visit could I be cheeky and ask you to take a picture. It would be great to put it with my Uncles things. I think they were great friends while at Netley.

Thanks 

Mouse

sotonmate
Posted (edited)

There is a Captain Ransford GILL RAMC buried in Netley CWGC Cemetery, died 6.3.1920.Grave Officers 2024.

Edited by sotonmate

jgreen

As Sotonmate says, Captain Rainsford Gill is buried in the Officers section at the cemetery:

Capt. Rainsford F. GILL MD

R.A.M.C.

Died March 6th 1920

In His 56th Year

He Never Spoke Ill Of Anyone

Rainsford Foster Gill's parents were Charles and Emma Gill. He was born in London in 1864.

In 1914 Rainsford was on a ship going to Southampton from Natal. He was a physician age 50.

netley 17th july 2010 670.jpg

netley 17th july 2010 671.jpg

jgreen

Here are photos of the 3 graves with their Commonwealth war grave headstones.

293143 Private

James McLACHLAN

Northumberland Fusiliers

Died 26th September 1919 Age 22

Dearly Loved

Son of John and Marjory McLachlan, of 69, Burnside St., 3, New City Rd., Glasgow.

278547 Pte R. BLACK

Argyll & Southern Highlanders

Died 8th May 1919

Robert

S/28500 Private

G. McLEOD

The Black Watch

Died 22nd February 1919

P7020566.JPG

P7020565.JPG

P7020564.JPG

Mouse

Thanks for the photographs. Do you have any photographs of these people as i have pictures that could be them but no names on them.

I will put copies in the folder with my Uncles records. Now i know why he couldn't find Capt Gill, it looks like he was in the wrong place in the cemetery.

Thanks Again Mouse

Mouse

Hi

I think I have found the family of Capt R F Gill on ancestry and will pass copies of both the grave pictures to them.

Mouse

jgreen

Hello again, no I don't have any photos as yet, but you never know what may turn up in time. Some lovely people are always sending me photos and stories, so maybe one day, there will be photos to go with many more of the graves in the cemetery.