The forum will be offline for an upgrade from 7AM UK time on Friday. See the About this Website board for more details.

Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

seaJane

RN Torpedo boats - Russia?

seaJane   
seaJane

I can see that RN torpedo boats were active in the Med but I have a friend seeking sources for their activity in Russia in 1918-1919. While I can see a lot of TBs in the online Navy Lists I can't pin down their location.

Can anyone advise? 

many thanks

sJ

yperman   
yperman

SeaJane,

'Baltic Assignment' M. Wilson (pp230 on) refers to coastal motor boats joining the British squadron in the Baltic - the first two in June 1919 -originally to land secret agents,  one torpedoed and sank the cruiser Oleg and in August 1919 a force of 8 CMBs raided Kronstadt damaging two battleships (Petrapavlovsk and Andrei Pervozanni) and sinking the old submarine depot ship Pamiat Azova for a loss of 3 CMBs. Three VCs were awarded one for the Oleag the others for Kronstadt.

Yperman

seaJane   
seaJane

Thank you :)

StGilesOldBoy   
StGilesOldBoy

The book "Operation Kronstadt" by Harry Ferguson (Published 2010) may be of interest, covering the raids on the Russian Fleet by RN Torpedo Boats. Gordon C Steele who won a VC in these raids and who it is thought was the last living survivor died in 1981 and is buried at Winkleigh Cemetery, North Devon.

Falloden   
Falloden

IWM Duxford Hangar 3 has on display - Coastal Motor Boat 4, built by Thorneycroft in 1916. She saw action during the Baltic Campaign of 1918-1919, and her commander Lieutenant Augustus Agar won the VC for sinking the Russian cruiser Oleg on 17 June 1919

seaJane   
seaJane

Thank you both for those!

Felix C   
Felix C
On 7/4/2017 at 11:38, seaJane said:

I can see that RN torpedo boats were active in the Med but I have a friend seeking sources for their activity in Russia in 1918-1919. While I can see a lot of TBs in the online Navy Lists I can't pin down their location.

Can anyone advise? 

many thanks

sJ

Jane.

Did you mean CMBs were active in the Med? They were? Any info you can share in a few lines? I read about operations against Zee/Ostend and not elsewhere

Nom Anor   
Nom Anor

I remember reading that the cruiser HMS Diamond was modified to carry CMBs and sent to the Mediterranean in 1918. But she saw no action in that role.

Felix C   
Felix C

Understood. Best laid plans. I can imagine where they would have been used. 

seaJane   
seaJane
4 hours ago, Felix C said:

Jane.

Did you mean CMBs were active in the Med? They were? Any info you can share in a few lines? I read about operations against Zee/Ostend and not elsewhere

My references are at work so I hope you can wait till Monday - sorry! Some of them may have had (Med) against their name in the Navy List. Malta comes to mind.

Felix C   
Felix C

General interest on my part. I read how they were sent out for later operations post-war. Only not during the war. 

wrightdw   
wrightdw

I have quite a bit on the RN Coastal Motor Boats in the Eastern Baltic 1919 in my book, "Churchill's Secret War with Lenin" and a detailed appendix listing the CMB's and actions of the crews of the 8 CMB's and 7 aircraft which took part in the riad on Kronstadt Harbour on 18 August 1919 for which two Victoria Crosses were awarded.

CMB's also saw service on the Dvina River, North Russia south east of Archangel where their speed and shallow draft meant they could make the trip from Archangel to the front line much quicker than any other available craft.

CMB's also saw action in the Caspian Sea during the campaign against the Bolsheviks during summer 1919.

I have photographs of a number of the CMB crews and the boats themselves in my book. I have attached a couple of sample pages from the Appendix dealing with CMB's at Kronstadt, later pages of the appendix show the RAF aircraft and crews involved.

app XI sample.jpg

Felix C   
Felix C

Kronstadt raid is popular writing. Features in quite a few books. 

James A Pratt III   
James A Pratt III

Note the Petrapavlovsk was not damaged by CMB torpedoes they ran underneath the ship and hit the quay and exploded there

Felix C   
Felix C
3 minutes ago, James A Pratt III said:

Note the Petrapavlovsk was not damaged by CMB torpedoes they ran underneath the ship and hit the quay and exploded there

shock damage from shallow water?