Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

voltaire60

ELECTORAL REGISTERS 1914, 1915 AND 1918

Phil Wood
2 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Thus, I have decided to include the pure lodgers of the 1915 Register in the local roll of honour-IF they enlisted sharpish and despite what SDGW says. If the  evidence is there that they were resident at the beginning of the war, then my view is that SDGW is misleading as it reflects an address for admin. purposes AFTER enlistment.

I guess it doesn't matter that much - depending on the use your roll of honour is to have.  If it's simply to honour men who left your locale to go and serve their country, then a few extra lodgers is not a problem. 

I have been looking at adding names to the local memorial - there area a number of names that clearly should be included in terms of their connection to the town - some were born here, brought up here, attended local schools, got work here, volunteered or were conscripted here and died while their parents were still living in the town. The only rationale for not adding them is a} that the memorial is a treasured artifact in its own right and should not be messed about with or b} his family may not have wanted his name on the memorial.  

If the decision is made to add names then the identification of them will almost certainly come down to me (I'd love to share the load if any Newburyian is reading this). I would want to convince myself that the name deserved to be added and I don't think the case for 1915 lodgers from elsewhere is convincing - after all they may only have been lodging in the town for a couple of months while they did some job.  I'd need more convincing evidence to make them Newburians.  Not that all the names on the memorial were Newburians. 

keithmroberts
2 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Exactly so- but it seems ,then, the 1915 register is the most accurate and up to date listing of where men were living???   The more so for the New Armies. A register that closed on 31st July 1914-and war starting on the 4th could hardly get much better

I want to spend time on the service voters in the spring and summer 1918 registers, which should be full of some interesting content, especially for the men who joined, or were conscripted as the war developed. Volunteers digitised the spring 1918 register for me for just one ward, and be3lieve me it was a time consuming job, not least just checking their work for accuracy. I suspect that for both the 1914 register, and for the second 1918 one I shall have to confine myself to sample streets.  I'm not sure that I could get enough  volunteers for a further challenge,

Keith

voltaire60

KR- I have the advantage of a smaller locale- Wanstead was c.15,000 at the beginning of the war. I have also the great advantage that the main local parish magazine lists all those known to be serving EVERY month through the war. The local vicar-obviously from the "church militant" end of the market-, pinned a list of those serving on the church door and locals could add to it. There were some names that I excluded from these lists as not being on SDGW locally  and thus-I presumed were sweethearts or relatives out of area. The 1915 register PLUS the parish magazine enables me to get a quite accurate listing off the lodgers listing for 1915.

But as Craig, correctly observes-to use the term my dear old dad would use-it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

keithmroberts

A monthly list - that vicar was a star, and someone preserved  the magazines. Those are a tremendous bonus.  The focus of my project was on just over a thousand names, mostly survivors, the majority naval, from21 streets about 1200 houses, but with additional names from people associated with that parish but not resident in it. We have a notebook used for intercession in some services, probably put started by 1915, but with part clearly much later.  The memorials with the bulk of the names were not completed until late 1925 or the first half of 1926 and although some casualties had been listed both in the small intercession notebook, and in a register of communicants, so many names were volunteered by active aprishioners so long after the fact, so we had some impossible searches, some info just plain wrong, and much inadequate.  By the official end of the project we had confidently identified close to 800 od the total, just under 80% and I doubt that we will ever confirm many more.

Now however I have found extra men killed by reverse searches on CWGC for every obvious address  option, but some of these might of course be men whose surviving relatives were not fixed in the area - that work is still under way, and there are many new names totally unresearched at present in the spring 1918 register. I think I have work for another couple of years.

Keith

voltaire60

KR- Yes, it was fortuitous- but balanced out by the main local memorial being made of the wrong type of stone. The architect, Newbury Abbot Trent, was good at the "avenging angel" metalwork-but,als, picked a rogue block of Portland stone-which stained and eroded even ebfore the memorial was opened- And ,of course, there is no trace of a full listing anywhere. Heads you win...

Have you looked at the church records, as deposited in local record offices????  They have helped me out on some things as all sorts of ifs and buts were kept. 

Parish mags. are a problem- With the usual mix of story/homily and then a supplement of specific local news, they were mostly done to a standard formula (Church Publishing Company??)  I wonder sometimes if there is any mileage in trying to track down whether the publishers/printers  possibly kept a file set of the local stuff. Not at Lambeth for sure-I know the Librarian there. 

keithmroberts

I have copied all the surviving Portsea Parish  records and with permission included them on our end of project DVD..  Having said that, I ahve recently become aware of a wonderful new source that I might eventually be allowed to access. A lady involved in the family History Society has 20 copies, mostly wartime of the Nutshell, a magazine edited by one P B Clayton for the boys club at the parent church as well as a large number of identified photographs from the same club.. I'm trying to persuade her that we should be allowed to copy them digitally and make the digital copies available freely and that the originals would be best preserved in the local archives.

I may not win as there is a possibility that the society in question might see them as a source of income and release them only as a chargeable item, or worse still, just hang onto them.  I think they are probably unique. So far  I can't find any archive that has any copies at all.

Keith

Phil Wood

Splendid name 'Newbury Abbott Trent' they should have got him to do the Newbury memorial!

I have a list of men in service from early 1916 - the result of the compilation of an Active Service Roll covering the town and many local villages.  I guess it was part of the campaign to get men to enlist - it stopped once conscription got going. I have also gone through the 1918 electoral roll to compile a list of the NM electors (there is no 1918 Absent Voters List).

The parish magazine is of very limited use - occasional items about men serving, but not attempt to list them all. The concept of doing what you two are doing is beyond the call of duty!  There were over 1200 serving by the end of 1915, 1700 in the electoral roll - 250+ dead by then - so a total of around 2000.

P B Clayton?  The P B Clayton? Wasn't he in Belgium for most of the war.