The forum will be offline for an upgrade from 7AM UK time on Friday. See the About this Website board for more details.

Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Steven Broomfield

"Sword of the North"

Steven Broomfield   
Steven Broomfield

Anyone seen a copy of this one, by Dugald MacEchern? Published in Inverness in 1923, 671 pages, it is a collection of essays, memoirs and battalion/regimental histories of (it appears) the Highland regiments during the GW.

Copies seem to be available on Abe and elsewhere (eBay has a copy at £495), so I'm not likely to be buying a copy any time soon* - just interested to know if anyone has seen it and has any further information.

* It is my birthday in a few weeks' time if you want to start a whip-round.

Edited by Steven Broomfield

rflory   
rflory

I have photocopy of the portion of the book that covers the 4th Highland Mountain Brigade, RGA and it is very useful.  There is a short history of each battery, but the real value to me is the many named photos of both officers and other ranks and named group-photos of the members of each battery. 

Regards, Dick Flory

Steven Broomfield   
Steven Broomfield

Thanks, Dick. I might start saving

seaJane   
seaJane

It doesn't appear to have been deposited on copyright (unless all six of the copyright libraries have failed to catalogue it) and indeed none of the other 90 or so academic & special libraries covered by COPAC lists a copy either...

Maureene   
Maureene

You can apparently buy photographs from the book, some of which are shown here

http://www.ukphotoarchive.org.uk/p233148772

The book is listed in the British Library catalogue as The Sword of the NorthHighland memories of the Great War   UIN: BLL01002312299

Abebooks has one copy for the bargain price of £ 235.84, plus shipping from America.

Cheers

Maureen

Loader   
Loader

I saw a copy once many yrs ago. Great photos & some unit rosters if I recall correctly. It is a very big book so any copy would be high postage in addition to the price of the book.

Steven Broomfield   
Steven Broomfield

Thanks, everyone. Another Forum member has PM'd me some digital images.

Think I might need to start saving. It will be an heirloom for the girls.

Steven Broomfield   
Steven Broomfield

A big Forum Thank You to 4thGordons (Chris), who has just PM'd me a scan of the 4th Cameron Highlanders' content from the book. Splendid chap!

INW   
INW

I was able to borrow a copy though inter library loans. There are generous chapters on all the Scottish regiments. I wanted to see what was written about the Scottish Horse.

Certainly seem to be accurate and comprehensive on that regiment.

INW  

Steven Broomfield   
Steven Broomfield

Thanks - Inter-Library Loan might be a route to try.

By the way, on the Scottish Horse front, I took these in Dunkeld about a month ag. I liked them.

Inverness June 17 001.JPG

Inverness June 17 002.JPG

Skipman   
Skipman

I was there last week. Steven, just across the road, in a building that used to be the public toilets, are the archives of the Scottish Horse Regiment, the ledgers documents etc etc transferred a few years ago. Only open a couple of hours, on a couple of days but extremely interesting with huge old handwritten ledgers listing every soldier enlisted, diaries, letters etc etc.

Mike

INW   
INW

Stephen and Mike

Really good to hear some enthusiasm for the Scottish Horse. I have visited both the original and the new archive. The new one is a huge improvement. My mothers father was in the Scottish Horse. I attach an article I wrote for a local paper here in Northumberland.

IAN   

MH001.pdf

Skipman   
Skipman

Excellent Ian, and very interesting. Sadly, the enlistment register for "A" Squadron (the one I'm interested in) is missing. The archivist is unsure if it went missing at the time of the move?

Mike

Steven Broomfield   
Steven Broomfield

Small world!

INW   
INW

Mike

I have just looked at the Scottish Horse page on the Long Long Trail to find out about A Squadron. They were based at Blair Atholl. The Castle there has its own archive. It might be worth seeing whether they have a duplicate of the missing book or a different record with the same information in.

Ian

Skipman   
Skipman

Ian, that's a good plan. I will contact them and see what they say. I'm sure Dunkeld would be interested in a copy, if one existed.

Mike

Edited by Skipman

Lanayca   
Lanayca

The Mitchell Library in Glasgow also has a super reference section of many Scottish regimental histories and memoirs. There is an online catalogue but you need to go in person to read them.

Skipman   
Skipman
9 minutes ago, Lanayca said:

The Mitchell Library in Glasgow also has a super reference section of many Scottish regimental histories and memoirs. There is an online catalogue but you need to go in person to read them.

Thanks Lanayca. So you know if they allow you to photograph them?

Mike

Lanayca   
Lanayca
2 minutes ago, Skipman said:

Thanks Lanayca. So you know if they allow you to photograph them?

Mike

Sorry, no idea what the rules are. i know they have facilities for copying but I guess it may come down to the rules of copyright. The staff were certainly very knowledgable and helpful when I was in about a month ago. A quick phone call might answer that question.

Skipman   
Skipman

OK thanks.

Mike

Steven Broomfield   
Steven Broomfield

As an aside, last month my wife and I visited our daughter and her partner, who live in Inverness. While we were there we visited the Queen's Own Highlanders/The Highlanders museum at Fort George, the Gordons' Museum in Aberdeen and the Black watch Museum in Perth.

I would have to say it would be difficult to imagine three better regimental museums.

(Next trip north envisages a detour via Stirling for the A&SH Museum. Whether we make it to Glashow for the Cameronians is open to discussion).

Gardenerbill   
Gardenerbill
9 minutes ago, Steven Broomfield said:

While we were there we visited the Queen's Own Highlanders/The Highlanders museum at Fort George, the Gordons' Museum in Aberdeen and the Black watch Museum in Perth

Was this a special treat for Mrs B?

Steven Broomfield   
Steven Broomfield

She doesn't know how lucky she is.

jlang   
jlang

Mr B,   You could add a visit to Bannockburn when in Stirling, as it is only two or thee miles south. The Camerioians museum is in Hamilton.  The RHF (i.e. amalgamation of HLI and RSF) museum is in Sauchiehall Street in Glasgow.  Also Edinburgh Castle has 2 regimental museums (Royal Scots and the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards) as well as the Scottish National War Memorial and the National War Museum.  Other attractions are available for Mrs B!

Steven Broomfield   
Steven Broomfield

Whilst I struggle to think what else Mrs B would wish to do on holiday, thank you. I have been to Edinburgh Castle (and Stirling, but in about 1964, I think - it might have changed). Hamilton and Sauchiehall Street sound enticing.