Remembered Today:

jacks

Deptford and Area Newspaper Lookups

24 posts in this topic

Hello

 

I have the Kentish Mercury and Lewisham Borough newspapers 1914-1919 which cover Deptford, Catford, Hither Green, Lee, Blackheath, New Cross, and surrounding areas. If anyone would like me to check these for photos or obituaries please supply name, date of death or injury and regiment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could I ask  for a look up for these 2 ,Pte William Henry James Humphries G9996 11th Bn Queens own Royal West Kents Died of Wounds 7th Oct 1916

Humphries, William Arthur

b. 17 Jan 1901
Sydenham
d. 12 Nov 1918
Colchester Military Hospital

G98134 29th London Regiment Formerly Royal Fusiliers Died of Pneumonia

Thanks  Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Alan

 

I have checked but no mention of either I'm afraid. I will make a note of these and when I next go the British Library I'll check the Forest Hill, Sydenham and Penge Examiner.

 

Jacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacks-it's a long shot- I have a local casualty for Wanstead in the east of London- ARTHUR WARD , Private with 12th London Regiment (The Rangers). Born in Wanstead-I think. On our local main war memorial. He is also on the war memorial at the University of Westminster in Upper Regent Street-the old Polytechnic.

 

       1911 Census has Ward living in Forest Hill but after that the trail is uncertain.  He was mortally wounded on 1st July 1916 on the Somme-and died of wounds in German captivity on 3rd July. His name came through from the German government as DOW sometime in mid-late August 1916-via the ICRC. As far as I am aware, the German notification is the basis of his death of 3rd July 1916 by CWGC.

  Is there any chance that he might be mentioned in the period July-September 1916?  Can't trace him on any war memorial south of the river nor on any listing closer to 1914 than the 1911 Census.

 

             Best wishes

                        Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Mike

 

I've checked but there is nothing in any of the newspapers. I can't see him on any memorials in the area either. Sorry.

 

Jacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacks

May I ask how you got copies of the Kentish Mercury? I have been trying, without success, to find them on-line.

 

Thanks

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan

I have some information on WHJ Humphries from his Service Record and from Fold 3 (courts-martial records) if you have not seen these. If you PM me, I'll give you the details.

He was born in Shropshire.

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, jacks said:

Hello Mike

 

I've checked but there is nothing in any of the newspapers. I can't see him on any memorials in the area either. Sorry.

 

Jacks

 

   No "Sorry" needed- Thank you very much for checking.  The news about memorials is quite encouraging-  Does this mean I won't have to venture south of the river to look? Phew!!

 

       Pip,pip

           Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Mike

 

The Kentish Mercury is only available on microfilm from the British Library or Lewisham archives. I just printed the pages so I could use at home when researching Deptford soldiers of St Luke's Church.

 

Jacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jacks said:

Hello Mike

 

The Kentish Mercury is only available on microfilm from the British Library or Lewisham archives. I just printed the pages so I could use at home when researching Deptford soldiers of St Luke's Church.

 

Jacks

 

Hi Jacks,

 

I wonder does the Kentish Mercury cover Beckenham? or is this too far away?  Anyhow I shall give you the name of the chap I am looking for just in case.  He is Second Lieutenant Eric Manger, 2nd Co M.G.C.Infantry, who was killed in action at Nieuport on 10th July,1917. Age 19. He had joined the H.A.C. in 1916 and then received a commission into the MGC Inf.  He was the son of Charles and Gertrude Manger, of 18, Beckenham Rd., Beckenham, Kent.

 

Many thanks for looking,

 

Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Jacks. I've PM'd you.

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Robert

 

The Lewisham Borough News covers Beckenham but nothing for Eric Manger.

 

Jacks

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2017 at 20:12, jacks said:

Hello Alan

 

I have checked but no mention of either I'm afraid. I will make a note of these and when I next go the British Library I'll check the Forest Hill, Sydenham and Penge Examiner.

 

Jacks

Thanks very much

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ID: 14   Posted (edited)

11 hours ago, jacks said:

Hello Robert

 

The Lewisham Borough News covers Beckenham but nothing for Eric Manger.

 

Jacks

 

 

 

Hi Jacks,

 

Thank you very much for looking him up.  Can you suggest any other avenues for following this further?

 

Cheers,  Robert

Edited by Old Owl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Robert

 

There are 3 other newspapers for the area Beckenham and District Times, Beckenham and Penge Advertiser and the Beckenham Penge and Sydenham Advertiser.

the local archives will sometimes check a newspaper for you for a small fee , the email address is historic.collections@bromley.gov.uk

If they can't help let me know and I will check when I go to the British Library but I can only order a set amount of newspaper per day.

I hope this helps.

Jackie

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jacks said:

Hello Robert

 

There are 3 other newspapers for the area Beckenham and District Times, Beckenham and Penge Advertiser and the Beckenham Penge and Sydenham Advertiser.

the local archives will sometimes check a newspaper for you for a small fee , the email address is historic.collections@bromley.gov.uk

If they can't help let me know and I will check when I go to the British Library but I can only order a set amount of newspaper per day.

I hope this helps.

Jackie

 

Hi Jackie,

 

Thank you very much for the information, I shall drop the archives at Bromley a line and see what they have to offer.  I shall let you know how I get on with them.

 

Cheers,  Robert

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi jacks,

 

I'm looking for any information regarding Pte Henry Baden Sims G/8885 who was killed in action on the 1st June 1916 age 15 serving with the 11th (Lewisham) Battalion Royal West Kent's.

His mother lived in Blackheath and had re-married a Frederick Dadd in 1907. In the 1911 census Henry is recorded under his step-fathers surname and so may appear under either surname in local newspapers.

 

Thanks in advance,

 

Stuart.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/5/2017 at 16:14, Perth Digger said:

Alan

I have some information on WHJ Humphries from his Service Record and from Fold 3 (courts-martial records) if you have not seen these. If you PM me, I'll give you the details.

He was born in Shropshire.

 

Mike

Mike

Thanks, I have his service record, and yes, he was born in Shifnal, where my family lived before moving to London., but interested if you have anything more.

Thanks again

Alan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Stuart

 

Sorry no articles/photos in the newspaper for Henry.

 

Jacks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alan

I've sent you the details on Humphries.

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacks,

 

Thanks for looking, I've sent you a P.M

 

Stuart

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jacks

Have you come across notices or comments from families seeking information about relatives who were missing? Especially 11/RWK.

 

Thanks

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

hello Mike

 

Yes I have come across requests for missing men. Is is just the 11th you are interested in?

 

Jacks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Jacks

Yes, only 11th Battalion men, especially in 1916 and 1917. I would be grateful for anything you can give me.

 

Thanks.

 

Mike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now