Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

beestonboxer

Major A.G Boldero 3rd SLI /2nd Dorsets Mesopotamia , photos-documents

beestonboxer

6th Divisional camp at Sanniyat September 1915.

camp.jpg

beestonboxer

Norfolk house Kut where 2nd Bn Norfolks were quartered June 1915. Not so easy to see but there are two artillery pieces in position.

nfkhse.jpg

charlie962

It says Amara (ie way downstream) rather than Kut-el-Amara ?

59bc07b9db340_mapmespot.JPG.b63a60845a8f721b7e2c2d4933ff6ef8.JPG

Charlie

beestonboxer
41 minutes ago, charlie962 said:

It says Amara (ie way downstream) rather than Kut-el-Amara ?

59bc07b9db340_mapmespot.JPG.b63a60845a8f721b7e2c2d4933ff6ef8.JPG

Charlie

Thanks for pointing that out Charlie my mistake.

Regards Tim

beestonboxer

Turkish Prisoners Kut Sep 1915.

priskut.jpg

beestonboxer

Anyone any ideas would love to know I passed it by Trajan and he believes it to be an official document of some kind , a translation even a part would be of interest.

Thanks Tim

let1.jpg

seaJane

I can ask around. Will get back to you if any luck.

seaJane

Found someone, just sending the image to him.

beestonboxer
3 hours ago, seaJane said:

Found someone, just sending the image to him.

Many thanks Sea Jane I look forward to hearing from you. Could well be nothing of any sort of importance at all but Major Boldero seemed to think it  interesting enough go in to his album.

Thanks Tim

seaJane

Hi Tim,

Glad I've found someone!

The academic to whom I sent it can read the blue script at the foot of the page but not the rest. Any chance you can send a higher definition image direct to me? I'll pm you my e-mail.

sJ

andrew moberly
On 8/16/2017 at 20:33, JMB1943 said:

Wonderful photos and information!

I am currently re-reading "The Siege" by Russell Braddon (the story of the debacle of the siege of Kut al Amarah)

so the mentions of the Dorsets, Norfolks and Ox & Bucks LI etc are of great interest.

Please keep on with the postings.

Regards,

JMB

I have just stumbled on this thread and have a quadruple interest.  (i) I read "The Siege" a few years ago - a very interesting, no-holds-barred account of a truly dismal episode; (ii) I have learned from Kim more about (and seen new photos of) my distant relative R S Moberly, attached to 1/32 Sikh Pioneers in Mesopotamia; (iii) my grandfather Capt Hugh de Lisle Penfold served with 2 Bn 9 Gurkha Rifles in the advance to Baghdad in 1917 (part of the 37th Brigade of the 14th British/Indian Division); so (iv) the amazing photos posted by beestonboxer are highly relevant.   Thank you!

charlie962

What news on the Turkish document?

charlie962
On 26/08/2017 at 18:55, beestonboxer said:

Thought I would throw this one in and ask the Question what is the contraption the soldier is standing next to ? it looks somewhat sinister to me but probably all very innocent and obvious once explained.

Having just read a Mule Corps War Diary for Mesopotamia there is a note therein of an Indian driver who deserted, was caught a couple of days later and:-

20th March 1916   ..Punishment of 30 lashes awarded by SGCM to No 96 Driver Karam, Elahi, promulgated and inflicted.

So it was us not them! There were a number of desertions recorded and even 13 years penal servitude did not stop them.

Charlie

Edited by charlie962

seaJane
On 19/10/2017 at 12:20, charlie962 said:

What news on the Turkish document?

Sorry it took a while Charlie, my contact in Freiburg University had to visit Iran and has alas, only sent me a transcription so far, which has just arrived. He says "It is about the dismissal of a servant due to his breath problem (mainly shortness of breath). His body is examined by different doctors who have mentioned their notes clearly."

In case there is anyone who can translate this I include it, but otherwise - I hesitate to be a nuisance - is there any chance of a closer/sharper image of the different sections of the letter? 

[Main text] Kur (?)…Muhafız Bölüğü Kumandanlığı Nefes (?)----------- Aliyesine

Maruz-ı Bendeleridir

Bendeleri Salman (?) di- sakin olub her nasılsa iki mah evvel buradan muhafız bölüğüne naklim icra edilmiş olub da buranın ab ve havasına imtizaç itmiyerek vuçuduma arıza olan hastalık  (khastalik) ve tengi nefes bulunduğuma nefeşi nashi lütfen ve merhameten burada bulunan sıhhıye doktoru/ doktori vasıtasıyla mu‘ayene icrası husuna içab edenlere emr ve [vücut?] buyurulmasına istid‘a ve istirham ederim olbabda emr ve ferman hazreti men lehül emrindir.

Kur (?) Muhafız Bölüğü afrad(?)

Majd aqa (?) ‘Abd al-Wahhab

2.     [Short text in black] Muayenesine emr buyurulmak marazıyla huzur-i ‘ali Kaymakam der cümle arz ve takdimlerimizdir

Muhafız Bölüğü                                                                                   

Kumandanı [The date of 220 or 330 is shown; perhaps referring to 1330/c. 1914 ]

3.      Mustad‘i ...ilayh [ dark blue text]

Ve zayıf vücut ve asap ve tengi nefes ‘illatdina mubtala olub aykiay ...tabdil hava ...mohtac oleh...

Hasata hana-yi Tabibi (Khasta Khana-yi TabibI)

Doktor Efendi ...onur(?) [ light blue with signature]

Kaymakam

5.      Stamps

Top: [ Lunar, full moon and star(symbols of Islam) in which has been written in Arabic: Rashad (true religion/right guidance) and basmala al-rahman al-rahim/In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful)

Middle: [In Turkish..can't make this out]

Bottom: [ ….makhsus ‘ilm ve khirad (...for the knowledge and wisdom)]

beestonboxer
On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 17:04, seaJane said:

Sorry it took a while Charlie, my contact in Freiburg University had to visit Iran and has alas, only sent me a transcription so far, which has just arrived. He says "It is about the dismissal of a servant due to his breath problem (mainly shortness of breath). His body is examined by different doctors who have mentioned their notes clearly."

In case there is anyone who can translate this I include it, but otherwise - I hesitate to be a nuisance - is there any chance of a closer/sharper image of the different sections of the letter? 

[Main text] Kur (?)…Muhafız Bölüğü Kumandanlığı Nefes (?)----------- Aliyesine

Maruz-ı Bendeleridir

Bendeleri Salman (?) di- sakin olub her nasılsa iki mah evvel buradan muhafız bölüğüne naklim icra edilmiş olub da buranın ab ve havasına imtizaç itmiyerek vuçuduma arıza olan hastalık  (khastalik) ve tengi nefes bulunduğuma nefeşi nashi lütfen ve merhameten burada bulunan sıhhıye doktoru/ doktori vasıtasıyla mu‘ayene icrası husuna içab edenlere emr ve [vücut?] buyurulmasına istid‘a ve istirham ederim olbabda emr ve ferman hazreti men lehül emrindir.

Kur (?) Muhafız Bölüğü afrad(?)

Majd aqa (?) ‘Abd al-Wahhab

2.     [Short text in black] Muayenesine emr buyurulmak marazıyla huzur-i ‘ali Kaymakam der cümle arz ve takdimlerimizdir

Muhafız Bölüğü                                                                                   

Kumandanı [The date of 220 or 330 is shown; perhaps referring to 1330/c. 1914 ]

3.      Mustad‘i ...ilayh [ dark blue text]

Ve zayıf vücut ve asap ve tengi nefes ‘illatdina mubtala olub aykiay ...tabdil hava ...mohtac oleh...

Hasata hana-yi Tabibi (Khasta Khana-yi TabibI)

Doktor Efendi ...onur(?) [ light blue with signature]

Kaymakam

5.      Stamps

Top: [ Lunar, full moon and star(symbols of Islam) in which has been written in Arabic: Rashad (true religion/right guidance) and basmala al-rahman al-rahim/In the name of God, the Compassionate, the Merciful)

Middle: [In Turkish..can't make this out]

Bottom: [ ….makhsus ‘ilm ve khirad (...for the knowledge and wisdom)]

Many thanks Sea jane for taking the time and trouble to follow this up for me very much appreciated.

Tim