Remembered Today:

hazelclark

Passchendaele Pin

4 posts in this topic

I have been largely away from the Forum for some time but did order one of the above pins as I felt it was a good way to remember those whom otherwise may never be given a thought again.  I did try to search for this info. but could only find people needing help with identification.

I am wondering whether anyone knows how many of these pins have been purchased and from which records the list of dead was compiled.  The reason I ask the latter question is that I am surprised at the lack of basic information on the "certificates".  For instance, on mine, the information is as follows.  Private D. Murphy, Gordon Highlanders, died 01/08/1917. 285100. One would have expected at least the actual regiment number and Christian name? Haven't found the guy yet on Ancestry but only got the info today by text from my sister. (Pin awaiting pickup in Aberdeen as they wanted 28 pounds to mail it here.)

would be be interested in others thoughts, or direction to the topic if it has already been discussed.

Hazel C.

He is on Ancestry in Soldiers Died in the Great War:

Name:Denis Murphy

Birth Place:Larne, Antrim

Death Date:1 Aug 1917

Death Place:France and Flanders

Enlistment Place:Glasgow

Regiment:Gordon Highlanders

Battalion:6th Battalion

Regimental Number:285100

Type of Casualty:Killed in action

Theatre of War:Western European Theatre

He is remembered on the Ypres Memorial (CWGC).

In the Register of Soldiers' Effects he received a war gratuity of £4 10s which indicates enlistment in or around June 1916.

Soldiers' Effects names his father as Edward, which points to this entry in the 1911 Ireland Census:

Name:Denis Murphy

Birth Year:abt 1879

Relation to Head:Son

Residence Date:2 Apr 1911

Townland/Street:St. John's Place, East

District:Larne

County:Antrim

Household Members:

NameAge

Edward Murphy 55

Bella Murphy 42

Denis Murphy 32

Rosie Murphy 8

John Murphy 6

Bella Murphy 5

Neil Murphy 3

Edward Murphy 29

Alice Murphy 90

Mike

Hi Mike,

Thank you so much for all that info. I am amazed that you found it all so quickly. I have been using my IPad and for some reason it won't allow me into Ancestry.co.uk and keeps bringing up .ca.  Seems it is something to do with a locator on the IPad!!  Anyway, although it is supposed to have access to the same records, for some reason I'm having a hard time finding anything.  I can use my laptop though so will see if I can come up with any of the info you have given me. Bugs me that I am having so much difficultly.

Thanks again. I do appreciate your help.

Hazel C.

Have been able now to find quite a few documents.

Thanks,

HC