Remembered Today:

Graham Luscombe

2/7 Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers

13 posts in this topic

Hi. My Uncle Frederick Walter Luscombe Born 1900. He was Killed in Action 24 October 1918 at "SOMMAING" for which I have some information from the "War Diaries" what I would like is info regarding when & where he signed up as these records are not available having spent time looking at The RWR Museum in Warwick.. His Army Number is 39843 & he was in the 2/7 Royal Warwickshire Regiment & possibly joined as one of the Birmingham Pals as he lived in Sparkbrook, Birmingham

I would imagine if there is a list of army numbers there might be a possibility of cross referencing them to come up with a possible date etc. 

Thanking you in anticipation

Graham

39841 joined 27/3/1918 so probably that date.

There's a Warwick Depot snippet on Findmypast that shows he joined the 4th Bn at Dover 6/4/1918 from A Coy.

i would suggest he was then possibly transferred to 2/7th 14/4/1918.

The effects records show that Fred had 12 months or less qualifying service when he died so can't help with the enlistment date on this occasion.

Craig

7 hours ago, IPT said:

39841 joined 27/3/1918 so probably that date.

There's a Warwick Depot snippet on Findmypast that shows he joined the 4th Bn at Dover 6/4/1918 from A Coy.

i would suggest he was then possibly transferred to 2/7th 14/4/1918.

Both answers are extremely helpful, thank you

Why is his number 39843 only 5 digits & not 6

2 minutes ago, Graham Luscombe said:

Why is his number 39843 only 5 digits & not 6

He was a conscript who was placed in to a Territorial battalion rather than an enlistment under Territorial terms (which had been ceased by them) therefore the numbering structure used for the service number was different.

Craig

Thank you. Im new to this amazing forum so every answer i get creates another question

Hi. Is there any way of knowing Freds movements between joining & going to France.

Does anyone have a transcribed copy of The War Diaries for the 2/7 from Jan 1918 - Dec 1918. I have downloaded the Microfiche copies but find very hard to read .

Are there any maps for the action that went on in Sommaing on or around 24 Oct 1918.

Lots of questions I know but once your hooked its compulsive

ID: 9   Posted (edited)

Graham

The War Diary for the period around 24 Oct 1918 indicates that 2/7 RWR were engaged in an attack on the village of SOMMAING and in crossing the river Ecaillon encountered heavy wire and many machine gun emplacements.

Diary gives Trench strength of unit at 13th Oct (during training period) as 46 Officers and 940 men, and on 25th this had reduced to 22 Officers and 503 men as a result of the 24th attack.

No maps in the Battalion Diary, but there a re a few map refs which explain the attack positions of each Company which you could probably fix by using trench map images from the National Library of Scotland website.

You will probably be lucky with the Brigade Diary for trench map extracts for the attack.

Edited by sotonmate

Hi Graham,

2 hours ago, Graham Luscombe said:

Are there any maps for the action that went on in Sommaing on or around 24 Oct 1918.

The Brigade HQ diary has a map, and a 4 page write up of the events - here on Ancestry or here at the National Archives.

Regards

Chris 

Hi. Is there any way of knowing Freds movements between joining & going to France.

Does anyone have a transcribed copy of The War Diaries for the 2/7 from Jan 1918 - Dec 1918. I have downloaded the Microfiche copies but find very hard to read .

Lots of questions I know but once your hooked its compulsive

Hi Chris.

is the Brigade Diary the same as The War Diary which I have downloaded previously WO-95-3056_4  ?

ID: 12   Posted (edited)

Hi Graham, 

3 hours ago, Graham Luscombe said:

is the Brigade Diary the same as The War Diary which I have downloaded previously WO-95-3056_4  ?

No...

From what I can make out, the appropriate diaries are...

2/7 Bn Warwicks -  (September 1915 to August 1919) WO 95/3O56/3 here

182 Infantry Brigade HQ - (September/October 1918) WO 95/3055/5  here   

61 Division HQ (General Staff) - (September 1918 to July 1919)  WO 95/3036/1 here

Higher level diaries often contain a lot more info that augments/expands on the Battalion diary.    

Regards

Chris                     

Edited by clk

Hi Chris. Thanks for info & advice very interesting & loads more detail

Graham