Remembered Today:

Sepoy

LEMNOS ISLAND including MARSH AERODROME

10 posts in this topic

Following my recent post on Commander Samson, here are a selection of photographs from the photograph album put together by by Corporal Samuel Searle, Royal Marine Light Infantry. I have used his titles where they have been used.

Sepoy

1. Marsh Aerodrome
2. Royal Marine Light Infantry - Aerodrome Guard, Mudros
3. Handley Page at Mudros
4. Sopwith Camel at Mudros. (Posted for historic reasons only. I apologies for causing any offensive, but it was part of their time.)
5. At Mudros.

0015 MARSH AERODROME.jpg

0028 AERODROME GUARD AT MUDROS.jpg

0005 HANDLEY PAGE AT MUDROS.jpg

0004 SOPWITH CAMEL AT MUDROS.jpg

0027 AT MUDROS.jpg

A few crashes

6. and 7. Crash at Mudros
8. Crash
9. Greek crash
10. Crash
11. R.M.L.I at crash site

0007 CRASH AT MUDROS.jpg

0024 CRASH AT MUDROS.jpg

0009 CRASH.jpg

0033 GREEK CRASH.jpg

0040 CRASH.jpg

0047 RMLI AT CRASH SITE.jpg

12. Mudros
13. Henri Farman at Mudros
14. Sopwith Camel
15. 6000 feet up at Mudros looking over the Pilot's head
17. Mudros

0045 MUDROS.jpg

0058 HENRI FARMAN AIRCRAFT.jpg

0056 SOPWITH CAMEL.jpg

0039  6000 FEET UP AT MUDROS LOOKING OVER THE PILOTS HEAD.jpg

0079 MUDROS.jpg

18 to 22 At Mudros.

I hope forum members will find these of interest.

Sepoy

0048 MUDROS.jpg

0069 MARSH AERODROME.jpg

0064 AERIAL MGS AT MUDROS.jpg

0080 MUDROS.jpg

0061 MUDROS.jpg

ID: 5   Posted (edited)

Sepoy,

Extremely interesting set of images following on from your previous post re Samson.   Starting at the top, I am pretty sure this is an image that has never seen the light of day before.  Photos of Marsh aerodrome are, in my experience, as rare as hens teeth, so this image is very special.

5  Nieuport 11 Scout.

6 and 7 feature the remains of Sopwith F1 Camel B3770 after its collision with Henri Farman N3022.  The Camel was flown by Flt Cdr G Donald and the Farman by FLT JH Wild.

10  Sadly one of the many Henri Farman F27s - possibly '9144' - to end up like this at Marsh - more than one of which ended with a fatality.

21  Nieuport 12 two seater.

The final shot depicts just some of the damage caused by a storm that hit the Island of Lemnos on the night of 7th/8th March 1917.  The wrecked machine is Henri Farman F27 '3908'.

Huge thanks for sharing these.

Edited by pete-c
Correction

Thank you for your comments Pete - C

The album also contains quite a number of interesting photographs of local Greeks harvesting on Lemnos (probably in the area of Marsh Aerodrome); the local Concert Party; and one of a PoW Camp containing Seaman from the Breslau. Further a field, are a couple of photographs of the SS River Clyde at Malta, missing it's funnels and bridge (1919).
Most frustrating for me are a couple of photographs that are missing - just their titles "at Antwerp, 1914" remain.

Sepoy

Thank you very much for sharing these, Sepoy. An area in which I have a great interest! There are a few photographs of Marsh aerodrome, although not a lot are labeled as such. My wife took some photos here in 2016, we're hoping to post a few 'then and now' images at some point. This is a fantastic collection.

15 hours ago, b3rn said:

Thank you very much for sharing these, Sepoy. An area in which I have a great interest! There are a few photographs of Marsh aerodrome, although not a lot are labeled as such. My wife took some photos here in 2016, we're hoping to post a few 'then and now' images at some point. This is a fantastic collection.

Hi B3rn
I would certainly be most interested to see a few "then and now" images of the area.
Sepoy

Fascinating images.  I must admit to a sudden streak of misplaced excitement when I saw "Henri Farman at Mudros"!  What I thought had taken the great man to Mudros??

im tired and I need my own trip to the Greek islands...departing tomorrow!

6 hours ago, BullerTurner said:

Fascinating images.  I must admit to a sudden streak of misplaced excitement when I saw "Henri Farman at Mudros"!  What I thought had taken the great man to Mudros??

im tired and I need my own trip to the Greek islands...departing tomorrow!

Sorry, to disappoint you - I just using the album headings :)
Have a great trip!

Sepoy