Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

suesalter1

Lions at Menin Gate

suesalter1   
suesalter1

On my most recent trip to Ypres, it was good to see the old lions restored to their original place by the Menin Gate, I know they are on loan from the Australian War Memorial and are only there until November, but surely replica's could be made and put there instead. I read in the last 'Bulletin; of the WFA that there had been a discussion on this very subject and the possibility of having 3D prints made of the lions. However, it seems very unlikely this will happen as it would 'alter the well known and much appreciated view of the Menin Gate too much'.

Personally, I think they look splendid to be back in their old home, albeit temporary.

Sue

DSCN0380.JPG

Kitchener's Bugle   
Kitchener's Bugle

Splendid indeed!

I agree why not make exact copies?

Thanks for posting.

KB

Margaretnolan   
Margaretnolan

It was great to see them in person when I was over last month. A little bit of history.

Pighills   
Pighills

When we were over, two weeks ago, It was quite amazing to see how few people took any notice of them at all.  Some stopped by the lions and read the information boards, but on the whole they were ignored, even by the crowds attending the evening ceremony.  We went to Ypres especially to see the lions and are very pleased we did.

thetrenchrat22   
thetrenchrat22

I was there last week and whilst looking at them. A English coach pulled up in the street where the coaches normally drop off and pick up after the last post.  

It was a mixed group of people, who just walked past them.  

As I was staying in the Novotel, i visited them every night and also in the morning before breakfast.  I was very peaceful just me and 54,000 missing souls.  

I saw them in Canberra and now in Ieper, I will make sure that I will say goodbye to them in November 

suesalter1   
suesalter1

I don't think people realise they're not normally there. I wonder if the inhabitants of Ypres appreciate them and want them back.

thetrenchrat22   
thetrenchrat22

One of the shops and in the In Flanders Fields museum are selling copies of them 

however the box also shows the price in Australian dollars as well as Euros, so I think that the Australian's had them made 

Gustywinds   
Gustywinds

They were magnificent to see when I was there in June.

The Last Post was truly a moving experience too.

thetrenchrat22   
thetrenchrat22

Made in China for the Australian war memorial 

$12.99 Australian Dollars and €9.00 Euro's

Edited by thetrenchrat22

pioneecorps   
pioneecorps

I was there in June this year this year, and seen them for the first time, and thought they were going to be permanent, then I also read the WFA Bulletin , shame really has they should be there.

Gerwyn

Edited by pioneecorps

Aurel Sercu   
Aurel Sercu

Suesalter,

"I wonder if the inhabitants of Ypres appreciate them and want them back." (posting # 6)

I really think they do. Well, I (one of the inhabitants) certainly do.

If we want them back ? Well, they were a gift to Australia (after Australia asked for a gift), so we cannot really want them back. A gift is a gift. Only if Australia should offer ... But this cannot be expected from Australia.

Yes, it was suggested that replicas should be installed after they leave in November. I don't know if these plans (?) make a chance. It seems there are counterarguments. I don't know or remember what these may be, but they would not be mine.  :-)

Aurel

QGE   
QGE

It is nice that they are again at the gates, but the Memorial gate is a 1927 construction...when the lions were there originally, it looked rather different. 

Image result for Menin gate 1913

There are 12,739 Australians in the the corners of some foreign fields in Belgium. In that rich earth there is a richer earth indeed. Two bronze lion statues seems to be a rather small compensation for their sacrifice.

Edited by QGE

moggs   
moggs

Nice photos.  I haven't seen them before.  Nice to know how la porte looked like prior to the destruction and renovation (for want of a better word).

And, thanks for the comment below the pics.  Well said.

all the best

Jonathan