Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

nfall3

WW1 Shell safe for display?

nfall3   
nfall3

I inherited a large shell that Ive been told is a dummy used in basic (Fort Dodge in Iowa). It appears to have a timer fuse attached on top, and I am not sure if its ever been off. Its been in my father possession at his childhood and modern home for 80 years. An uncle brought it home from the camp. Its been crudely engraved as you can see in the pics. I want to let a museum display it but I want to be 100% sure its safe. I trust the family word but is there anyway to tell?

shell6.JPG

shell5.JPG

shell2.JPG

shell4.JPG

shell.JPG

shell1.JPG

robins2   
robins2

can not really tell from just from photos, what does base of shell look like??  only way to make sure is have it examined by expert and have it declared inert \(if it is?)

regards

Bob R.

Edited by robins2
add

robins2   
robins2

in the mean time use caution while handleing

peregrinvs   
peregrinvs

It appears to be a fired US 75mm shrapnel shell with a No.85 time and percussion fuze. It is *probably* an assemblage of a fired shell casing and fuze put together for display purposes and is *probably* inert. However, as has been pointed out you cannot tell this just from pictures alone. As a starting point, what does it weigh? A fired one will be significantly lighter than a live one.

Edited by peregrinvs

MikB   
MikB
6 hours ago, robins2 said:

in the mean time use caution while handleing

...and don't leave it on that cooker when it's turned on! :D

nfall3   
nfall3

Thanks all.

robins2 The base is flat and smooth and as for an expert where would I find an expert?

peregrinvs I thought about the weight but what do live one weigh?

I have been using caution but family lore was that it was the door stop for 20 years!

I have read in places that the top could be removed but I really don't plan to try until I know its inert.

Thanks MikB I will keep try and not fire it up on the burner LOL

Edited by nfall3

chaz   
chaz

It's fairly common to read in papers here about shells being used as door stops, or kids taking to school 

ServiceRumDiluted   
ServiceRumDiluted

According to Passion-Compassion the weight of a (broadly comparable) French 75mm shrapnel shell is 7.2kg. The 85 fuze (Scoville in this case? The 85 was a British copy of the Scoville and is unlikely to be found on US ordinance) Is heavier than the French beehive fuze but if your example is empty then it will probably weigh in at ~3kg. 

Edit. To confirm your fuze is a Scovill Model 1907

Edited by ServiceRumDiluted

pioneecorps   
pioneecorps

To me, if its inert the timer should unscrew easy, well the ones I have handled do. if not then ?

Regards

Gerwyn