Thanks for that. I am on your side.

Kindest regards,

Kim.

Steven Broomfield   
Steven Broomfield

;)

QGE   
QGE

Ref Dehra Ismail Khan - on the eve of the Great war 55th Coke's Rifles (FF), 57th Wilde's Rifles (FF) and 58th Vaughan's Rifles (FF) all had their Regimental Centres there. In addition the 18th Infantry and the 45th Rattray's Sikhs were stationed there (as well as 35th Scinde Horse)

15th Lancers (Cureton's Multanis), 35th Scinde Horse, 36th Jacobs Horse and 37th Lancers (Baluch Horse) had five Squadrons of Derajat Musalmans between them in Aug 1914. Half the Indian Cavalry were recruited from the various moslem tribes of which 13% were from the North West Frontier regions. Cavalry recruiting was markedly different from infantry recruiting and more skewed towards the NW. None of the Infantry appear to have recruited Derajat Musalmans in 1914.

While 15% of the Infantry were Sikhs, some 23% of the Cavalry were Sikhs.The numbers for Pathans were 4% and 8% respectively. For Punjabi Musalmans 12% and 16% respectively. 

ddycher   
ddycher

All

Thanks for this.

One more view point :

https://www.quora.com/Indian-History-What-was-the-impact-of-World-War-1-on-India

....Lopez again going the broken promises and Amritsar root. This undeniably a modern take.

Looking into the British Indian Armies internal reward structure got me reading about the Canal Colonies in the Punjab which seemed to support a Northern focus. However reading through each link Martin posted effectively destroys the possible theory that partition created a predominantly Pakistani collective which I had been missing.

So I'm still of a view that the secular mentality of the British Indian Army followed by that continued through to todays military was / is the biggest barrier to more detailed written history. Now trying to search out military archives in the public domain to see what if anything is accessible there.

Regards

Dave

voltaire60   
voltaire60

Phew!  There is no meeting of minds on this. A generation ago, H.J.Hanham wrote in his superb "Bibliography of British History 1851-1914" (Oxford,1976, at p.230) with regard to South Africa, that:

"South African history has since the Great Trek usually been written from a distinctly British or Afrikaner point of view. There are therefore two distinct literatures relating to British involvement in South Africa, each of them embracing several schools of thought"

We are at the same place with regard to the Raj. There has been a massive shift in the direction and emphasis of "imperial" studies not just in Britain but all over the place. Nobody has a virtue on truth, let alone historical "truth". Nothing anyone here can write or research is going to overcome the (from my perspective) hardline Indian nationalist outlook that the Raj achieved absolutely nothing positive at all-  see, for  example, Jota Charterji (and others) on television (esp. Newsnight) during remembrance of the 70th anniversary of Partition. 

If we can separate the problem out-then there are, I think, 2 major issues as regards Raj involvement in the Great War

1) Historiography. Has not,is not and will not be a meeting of minds ,let alone "synthesis" anytime soon.

2) Records. On a strictly non-political stance- How right is it for a state to condone/ allow/ neglect  any part of it's heritage-and record archives- because they don't fit in with the mindset of today?  If we cannot influence South Asian historiography, then surely we should be making efforts to secure the survival of the records -regardless of how future generations inrerpret them? The current fad for seeking to obliterate the historical record when it doesn't suit the intellectual ayatollas of the moment is a depressing one. The family history people have done great work in locating and copying records that might fade away. Is it not time that more effort was put into securing the military records of the Raj that remain on the subcontinent?????