The forum will be offline for an upgrade from 7AM UK time on Friday. See the About this Website board for more details.

Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

TomWatson

Determining a soldier's company from Australian military records

TomWatson   
TomWatson

I am researching an Australian soldier: 6311 Private William Samuel Maynard.

I have access to all his military records via the National Archives of Australia, but nowhere on any casualty form does it mention what company he might have been placed in. I know this is a tricky subject, because soldiers were often transferred between companies. However, it's very important I know which company he was in in order to determine his general location when he died (6th-10th April 1917).

If anyone knows anything about this, I'd really appreciate a helping hand.

moggs   
moggs

The War Diary for his battalion is also to be found on the archives.  That may give a company allocation when he was taken on strength.  It will give a clearer date as to what the battalion and maybe each company were doing during the time of his death.

All the best

Jonathan

Waddell   
Waddell

Tom,

If there is a Red Cross and Missing file often the company is mentioned within the testimonies. It might be worth looking through these files for other men in the battalion who were killed on or around that day. Often other soldiers are mentioned.

Failing that search for any letters on Trove written by men in that battalion. Occasionally you can get lucky.

Are there any descendants?

Scott

TomWatson   
TomWatson
3 hours ago, Waddell said:

Are there any descendants?

Thanks to both of you for your replies, unfortunately, he was taken on strength along with 62 others so there's no mention of what company any of them were assigned to.

There's also no Red Cross Wounded and Missing file on him, so no luck there either.

In reply to your query about descendants; no direct descendants to be found. Will Maynard and his brother both died in the war with no children, and they were the only men in the immediate family, so while the family name has continued, the Maynards that are alive today aren't direct descendants. 

Thanks to you both for your replies, I'll keep up the search.

Waddell   
Waddell

Tom,

There were a lot of men killed around that date. I mentioned that if you were super keen you could look through the Red Cross reports available for any of these men and see if Maynard is mentioned among the testimonies.

https://www.cwgc.org/find/find-war-dead/results?country=France&war=1&servedWith=Australian&servedIn=Army&unit=12th&dateFrom=05-04-1917&dateTo=07-04-1917&exactDate=06-04-1917&casualtypagenumber=1&tab=wardead&pageSize=100

It could be a wild goose chase but you never know.

Scott

WhiteStarLine   
WhiteStarLine

Tom, speaking generally, a number of the AIF battalion histories have nominal rolls broken down by company, often as an appendix.  Also there is a Facebook page with a published photo of what looks like a company.

Good luck in your search.

stevebecker   
stevebecker

Mate,

You can also check the units RO's (Routine Orders) these is some cases include a Company next to there names?

While yes some men did move around the unit, many didn't and with out looking to see what unit he is with most units (BN's) are well covered in most records.

I have not checked our Bn's but Light Horse Regts have what are called "Unit strength states" which record there strength but also changes to the unit like wounds and sickness and other movements within the unit. These were taken each week and submitted to higher HQ and can be a wealth of information.

But in many cases there are no record of companies or at lest to find the man your after, but you could be lucky, so check all sources.

Good Luck (Bon chance) 

S.B

Bob Davies   
Bob Davies

If you can find embarkation lists for HMAT (His Majesty's Australian Transport) A59 Botanic which embarked from Melbourne 24/8/16 with William onboard, then you may find his company. I was able to do this with my Grandfather with the 5th Light Horse. Regards, Bob.

Bob Davies   
Bob Davies

5371269.JPG

Bob Davies   
Bob Davies

It took a bit of finding and then working out how to see it, the text is so small ;-) lol The column at the top says AIF unit serving in at date of enrollment. William is part of 36th Fort. Coy. (A.E.)  If that helps but as Steve Becker says people are moving around a lot. Regards, Bob

Waddell   
Waddell

Bob,

I read that differently. 

The column is for AMF units which the soldier was serving in at the time of enlistment. The 36th Fortress Company Australian Engineers were the militia unit  that the man two positions above Maynard on the nominal roll was serving with prior to enlistment. Maynard answered no to question 11 of his enlistment papers asking if he had or was serving in the militia forces.

Tom is trying to find out which company Maynard served in with the 12th Battalion at the time of his death.

Regards,

Scott 

Edited by Waddell
Added more.

stevebecker   
stevebecker

Bob,

Can you give anymore of your relation in the 5 LHR as I record only these men so named?

DAVIES Thomas Edward 1241 Pte 05 LHR 9R tos (possibly RHQ?) 12-15 to Spr 2 LH Sig Troop 4-16 to S/Smith 1-17 revert 7-17 to UK for disch
DAVIES James Judge 2463 Pte 05 LHR 17R tos 2 LH MGS 8-16 died pneumonia at 14 AGH Port Said buried Port Said War Memorial Cemetery Egypt cousin H Reid 2Bn KiA

or do you mean

DAVIS Idual Llewellyn 452 Pte 05 LHR B Sqn tos 7-15 evac to Cottonera hosp Malta (appendix) 8-15 to hosp Gibraltar 8-15 to (3 London GH) hosp UK 9-15 (G) disch to British Army prom 2/Lt 3/9Bn Middlesex Regt AKA Idwal Llewellyn Davies (Remts ASC CMF 3 months)

do you have anymore on him?

Cheers

S.B

Edited by stevebecker

Bob Davies   
Bob Davies

Scott and SB and all, please accept my apologies if I have sent the wrong information. My intention was to help to try and find the company of William Maynard. In my eagerness I may have miss read something. Scott if you look at the list, the marks in Williams column  mean the same as above and above that until letters or numbers are written. If you read what I have written then you will understand what I am trying to say.   Trooper 452 Idwal Llewellyn Davies is my Grand Father. He was taken by appendicitis not by a bullet. I have found him listed as you say SB and as I have spelt. The same man with a different spelling. His Father is Owen Huab Davies of Ashmount Abbots Langley, my Great Grand Father. Regards, Bob.

1.jpg

13.jpg

Edited by Bob Davies

Waddell   
Waddell

Bob,

Sorry if my post sounded a little harsh. No offence was intended.

Scott 

Edited by Waddell

Bob Davies   
Bob Davies

Not a problem Scott, no offense has been taken. Cheers, Bob.