Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

robinsgt

Help with medal card please

robinsgt   
robinsgt

30850_A001566-02476.jpg.8c91d0df65901aa421302a004fcf607a.jpg

Just hope someone can help me with the meaning of parts of the medal card please.

I understand John was in Middx reg, a corporal his service no. PW 386 the PW meaning Public works btn although not sure of the btn no. I would like to know the meaning of em/2/1775   and the meaning of the written words above the printed correspondence. John survived the war although I cannot find any details of his military service hence he has demob written on his card.

Thanks for any help.

Robin 

RussT   
RussT

I think the 1st Public Works Bn was the 18th Middlesex.

An expert will be along shortly I'm sure, but I think it says Officer in command ( O i/c) of Infantry Records Hounslow forwards application for emblem, 06/11/1920.

Which I take to mean that he was apparently Mentioned in Despatches (MID) and so was entitled to wear an oakleaf that could be attached to his Victory medal ribbon. Whether the application was granted, I'm not sure.

Regards

Russ

johnboy   
johnboy

De mob has nothing to do with his service record which may have been lost  by a fire ww2

Terry_Reeves   
Terry_Reeves

There was also 19th, 20th and  21st Battalions Middlesex Regt - (Public Works).

TR

Brucass   
Brucass

John Toole was awarded a Mentioned in Despatches in the Haig Despatches dated 5th July 1919 for France/Flanders whilst serving with the 18th Middlesex Regiment, and was entitled to wear an Oakleaf on his Victory medal.

Paul

Brucass   
Brucass

I have had a look at the service records on Ancestry and have located a set of papers for John Toole who was from Horwich Bolton and was a skilled labourer hence his enlistment into the 18th (Pioneers) Middlesex.  Upon his enlistment in 1915 he was 32 years old. He was eventually discharged on the 21st March 1920. When he acknowledged receipt of hos medals he was living at 32 High Street Horwich Bolton.

Paul

Mark1959   
Mark1959

The em ref has no special significance. It is a ref number for the issue of the emblem. Note it was issued 12 days after the request was made. So request on 6/11/20; issued 18/11/20. 

Edited by Mark1959