Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Tonimhancox

Family History/RFA 34th Division?0r 372??

Tonimhancox   
Tonimhancox

HI everyone, im new here, trying to find info on my grandad, who was in the RFA, all i know is his Regiment No L289/14, and Ref WO 372/17/6709, got them from his medal card on Archives, does anyone have any idea what these mean,  ive looked up 34th Division,(said it was designated in Leicestershire), he lived in Leicester, so didn't know if that was it, or does the number 372 represent a Battery?? divsion...not sure what this means either, if anyone can help please get in touch.  thanks 

David26   
David26

Hi Tonimhancox

welcome to the Forum.

The WO372 number is the reference number for his medal index card - the WO stands for War Office and is the start of a file reference.

The file reference is for Driver Philip Riley, service number L/28914, so I presume that's your grandfather?   Unfortunately his service record doesn't seem to have survived the fires in the Blitz that destroyed most of the WW1 men's service records, so it is very hard to say anything definite about his service.  You say though that he served in 34th Division.  If that's right, the you can take a look at the war diaries which are available to download from The National Archives.  They will at least give you a sense of where the division went - it's very unlikely your grandfather would be mentioned since usually only officers are mentioned by name. 

David 

jay dubaya   
jay dubaya

Assuming that your grandfather is Dvr Philip Riley and he enlisted in Leicestershire and was given the above service number with the 'L' prefix then I would be inclined to agree that he was most likely to have served in the 176th (Leicester) Howitzer Brigade, RFA. The brigade was formed 12th May 1915 by Lt-Col EC Mersey-Thompson MP and had moved to Tidworth Park by the end of August and by October were stationed at Boyton Camp. The brigade sailed from Southampton at 6.40pm on 7th January 1916 and landed at Le Harve the following morning. A Bty was inspected by Lord Kitchener on 11th February. The brigades first action came near Armentiers when they fired upon La Maisnil, Esquebeque, La Vallee and Ettieres. The brigade was broken up on the 28th August 1916 and the men distributed to several other units, it will be nigh on impossible to track the rest of his movements without knowing which of the 4 batteries of the 176th Bde he originally served with.

David Porter   
David Porter

Welcome to the Forum,

His number suggests joining 176th Howitzer Brigade RFA at Leicester between June 7 - 9, 1915. They did indeed join 34th Division, so I'm interested in where you got that bit of information from. Unfortunately he seems to be missing from Leicestershire Absent Voters lists, but they are by no means complete.