The forum will be offline for an upgrade from 7AM UK time on Friday. See the About this Website board for more details.

Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Sign in to follow this  
Biggles

FE2 Squadrons

Biggles   
Biggles

G'day lads,

Just thinking, did FE2's fly on any other front other than the Western Front? For example, Salonika, Middle East? If so what squadrons used them overseas?

Thanks in advance.

Tally-ho,

Caleb

Dolphin   
Dolphin

Caleb

The FE was used as a night fighter over the UK.  Also FE2b A778 was used for the first eight operational sorties from Australia between 21 April and 10 May 1918, when Capt F H McNamara VC was tasked with looking for the German raider SMS Wolf.

Gareth

Edited by Dolphin

Biggles   
Biggles

Thanks Gareth, 

I knew about the night fighter role, just wanted to know wether they were used over seas or not. I didn't know about A778, but very interesting to know, as I am Australian. 

Were there any other two seat pusher aircraft used in other theatres of the war? (Other than Western Front and Home front) 

Thanks and cherrio,

Caleb

topgun1918   
topgun1918

Caleb

The D.H.1/1A was used by No 14 Squadron in the Fighter-Reconnaissance role when based at Kantara, Ismailia.  

Graeme

Biggles   
Biggles
11 hours ago, topgun1918 said:

Caleb

The D.H.1/1A was used by No 14 Squadron in the Fighter-Reconnaissance role when based at Kantara, Ismailia.  

Graeme

Thank you for that. I actually did more research last night and found out about the DH1a.  What sort of enemy aircraft would have been 14 sqn's opponents?  

Thanks again,

Caleb

Edited by Biggles

Dolphin   
Dolphin

Caleb

The Italian SP 2, SP 3 and SP 4 were pushers used on the Italian Front, while the Russians used the Anatra V.1.

Gareth

Dolphin   
Dolphin

Caleb

Further to m y earlier message, the RNAS operated Breguet pushers in the Aegean, while Farmans were flown in Mesopotamia, Romania and Russia.  Voisins flew over Africa, the Aegean and Mesopotamia.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

Biggles   
Biggles
8 hours ago, Dolphin said:

Caleb

Further to m y earlier message, the RNAS operated Breguet pushers in the Aegean, while Farmans were flown in Mesopotamia, Romania and Russia.  Voisins flew over Africa, the Aegean and Mesopotamia.

I hope this helps you.

Gareth

Thank you Gareth. I never knew so many pushers operated overseas. Certainly  interesting.

Kind regards,

Caleb