Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

susancammas

Illustration or diagramme of RHA horse team + limber+gun

susancammas

Good morning

Does anyone possess  a good illustration or photo that clearly shows a RHA horse team hitched to the limber and gun?

Would they be prepared to share it with me?

(It's for the family history that I'm compiling for my daughters and grandchildren)

Many thanks

Susan

Ron Clifton
susancammas

Thanks Ron,I've never come across such a long link before!

I'll take a look at it this afternoon.

In the meantime, I’ve had a good look at the detailed info you posted on drill for 13 pounder.

I assume that the drivers are not included in the gun detachment?

Without going into a huge amount of detail, would it be fair to say that generally

numbers 1-7 rode on saddle horses and that numbers 8 and 9 and the two horse holders rode on the limber?

If this is correct, there would be the 6 team horses plus 7 saddle horses to look after once everyone has dismounted and the gun is unlimbered.   Who was responsible for this – the drivers or the horse-holders or both? 

I don’t quite see where the horse-holders come into the picture – they don’t appear to be part of the actual gun action.   How many horses can a horse holder hold?

Sorry to be so picky about all this, but I want to be as concise as possible but at the same time, give an accurate picture.

Many thanks

Susan

rolt968

Can I ask the experts for my benefit and possibly for Susan's (depending on your answer!)tell me: Does the drill of the King's Troup RHA when firing salutes in Hyde Park reflect how the guns were brought into action in WW1? There are a number of clips in YouTube.

RM

Ron Clifton
44 minutes ago, susancammas said:

Thanks Ron,I've never come across such a long link before!

I'll take a look at it this afternoon.

In the meantime, I’ve had a good look at the detailed info you posted on drill for 13 pounder.

I assume that the drivers are not included in the gun detachment? That is correct.

Without going into a huge amount of detail, would it be fair to say that generally

numbers 1-7 rode on saddle horses and that numbers 8 and 9 and the two horse holders rode on the limber? Yes, except that the horse-holders also rode their own horses.

If this is correct, there would be the 6 team horses plus 7 saddle horses to look after once everyone has dismounted and the gun is unlimbered.   Who was responsible for this – the drivers or the horse-holders or both? Unlimbering was done by the gunners, the drivers remaining mounted to keep the horses steady during unlimbering.

I don’t quite see where the horse-holders come into the picture – they don’t appear to be part of the actual gun action.   How many horses can a horse holder hold? Usually three or four, including their own. When cavalry fought dismounted, one man in four was detailed as a horse-holder.

Sorry to be so picky about all this, but I want to be as concise as possible but at the same time, give an accurate picture. No problem!

Many thanks

Susan

My replies are in bold type.  

In the link, the wide picture second right in the tenth row down is a famous painting by Terence Cuneo of the saving of the guns of 37 Battery RFA (not RHA, but the teams are the same) at the Battle of le Cateau on 26 August 1914.  Captain Reynolds (seen catching the whip of the middle driver) and Drivers Luke and Drain were all awarded the VC for this act.

RM - broadly yes, but they do not bring ammunition wagons with them so it is rather simplified.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

Ron Clifton

Hello Susan

I have sent you a PM recommending a book which may be of help to you. I should add that I have no financial interest in the book's sales!

Ron

susancammas

Thanks Ron, for your messge  I've had a look at this link and I'm going to investigate

Susan

susancammas
On ‎21‎/‎09‎/‎2017 at 11:19, Ron Clifton said:

wide picture second right in the tenth row down is a famous painting by Terence Cuneo of the saving of the guns of 37 Battery RFA (not RHA, but the teams are the same) at the Battle of le Cateau on 26 August 1914.  Captain Reynolds (seen catching the whip of the middle driver) and Drivers Luke and Drain were all awarded the VC for this act.

I don't know much about the various battles of WW1 (yet!) and so I had a quick Google session on battle of Le Cateau -  what amazingly brave men Captain Reynolds  and the drivers were and what skilled riders.   Incidentally why were there only 2 drivers?   I hope they all survived the war.   I'm getting side tracked.

Susan

Ron Clifton

The third driver - the one in the middle, whose whip Captain Reynolds caught - was killed. I think the other two survived the war - Driver Drain, who came from my home town, died in the 1960s.

The action of these men at le Cateau has been rather overshadowed by the actions of three equally brave men of L Battery RHA at Nery only a few days later, which also earned them Victoria Crosses.

Ron

johntanner

And by a curious coincidence there was also a Dvr Drain in L at Nery.