Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

• Announcements

• GWF TEAM

Minor changes to the Forum   12/12/17

We have altered the structure of the Home Fronts and Uniforms, Arms, Insignia, Equipment & Medals boards. We have removed the sub-category headings and now each board is more visible and easier to find. We have also renamed "About this website" and "Using theTechnology" to make it clearer where to post questions about the GWF website. We have also put a link ot the forum Rules on the main menu at the top to make them easier to find - particularly the section regarding requesting look ups on subscription sites such as Ancestry. Finally, for those who visit Skindles, there is a pinned post there detailing some changes to it.   Regards The GWF Admin Team
Nick1914

2nd Bn Royal Scots(Lothian) Regiment - 1914 - Officer Backgrounds

Nick1914

Dear Members, this morning in reviewing my compilation of 1914 officer casualties in the above regiment I realised just how many gaps in my information there were.  For such an historic and famous regiment I was very surprised just how little public domain information is out there on the individual officer casualties from 1914.  Attached is a very simplified PDF extract showing some basic information I have.  As you will see the 1914 combat history is pretty good and I feel I have a good handle on casualties/types and when they occurred but there appears to be little out there on the individuals involved. Compare this with something like the Worcesters or Bedfords where full officer profiles are often available including post WW1 service records etc.  What surprised me even more was not being able to find anything on a future bn CO in WW2 ie Lt-Colonel Douglas James McDougall in Hong Kong.  I have searched obvious places such as Who Was Who,  Gale's Times archive etc and no luck. The Imperial War Museum Lives series is full of blanks for the battalion.  The battalion is almost stealth!  I haven't access to the Medals Roll but Martin has kindly agreed to post one of his most valuable lists as a starting point.

I am aware of Major J Ewing's(1925) Regimental History but Naval & Military Publishing's description says it contains no Roll of Honour.

Many of the names may have quite famous connections such as 2nd Lt O B Maltby.......connected to General Christopher Michael Maltby GOC(later PoW) HK in 1941??  Similarly John Watson Laidlay....of the golfing family?  Can anyone confirm Alexander Donaldson as a PoW from Le Cateau?  So far no success on the ICRC dbase.

If members could help me with missing forenames and DoB/deaths etc that would be a great start and might open up new lines of enquiry.  Gaps in commission history are also most useful.  Anything else would be a bonus.  For instance does Ewing's book have a pre-war photograph of the regimental officers in say 1913-14 which someone could post?  Also did a regimental magazine exist?  Where I have found 1914 editions on-line for such as the Gordon Highlanders these have been immensely useful and highly interesting.

I do hope other forum members will share my enthusiasm for getting these brave soldiers proper recognition.

Many thanks in anticipation.  Nick

2nd Bn Royal Scots(Lothian) Regiment - 1914 Officer Casualties.pdf

QGE

Nick

As promised. Usual colour coding as per RWF etc. Data not checked and done some time ago. Any mistakes are mine. The 2nd Bn seem to have  had a rather large number of Officers pass through its ranks in 1914. Unusually high by the standards of other units and I would deduce that some may have served with other units or have been attached to the RS from other units.

The second Photo column is for photos from other sources (probably the History). I hope it helps. I have not compared it to your sample. Mine are sorted by disembarkation date and then rank. M

One anomaly/conflict. Diary records Duncombe-Shafto died on 26th Aug 1914

2Royal Scots.jpg

Edited by QGE

Nick1914

Thanks Martin, much appreciated.....much to digest!

Nick

QGE

Groups photo from the published history

2 RS Officers photo.JPG

Shown under Fair Dealing for research and discussion (non commercial). 

Edited by QGE

Nick1914

.........super photo, txs Martin.