Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

DH8257

John James Wood

DH8257

Hello,

I have obtained the service record and other papers of Pte. 7192 John James Wood of the 1/4th Battalion Cheshire Regiment from Ancestry but I am having difficulty reading all the information in the records. I currently believe there are his movements:

He spends 14 days in France during August 1914 before being sent home until August 1916. I am unsure what Battalion he is attached in France or if he takes part in any action. Then he is posted to the Mediterranean Expeditionary Force and in August 1917 he is sent to a hosptial in Malta I believe, before being sent home again. He is then sent to Egypt in December 1917 where he sustains a gunshot wound to his left wrist in July 1918. Sometime time later he is then posted to France again.

Could someone be able to help me confirm if these movemnts are correct as I am not 100% sure, and if possible provide any more detail.

Thanks,

Dan

HolymoleyRE

Hi Dan, 

He was 1st Btn for his short 1914 (1914 Star) time in France, spent quite a bit of time in the 3rd Btn, before moving to the 1/4th in Nov 1917.

It is annotated on his medal roll

Andy

Screenshot_20170924-115520.jpg

Screenshot_20170924-115546.jpg

HolymoleyRE

There are two versions of his Service records on Ancestry where his movements are little clearer he Joins the Med Exp Force on the 25th August 1916

Screenshot_20170924-143158.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

DH8257

Hi Andy,

Thanks for that, I've found it really hard trying to decipher the writing so I never noticed the '1 B'. Is there any clue as to why he only spent 14 days in France? Would he have been involved in the fighting around Audregnies, as his brother Samuel, also in the 1st Btn, was taken prisoner there. Also is it possible to find out where he was during his time with the Med Exp Force?

Dan

HolymoleyRE

Yep there is a clue....another page states admitted No 7 General Hospital 22nd August 1914  Hernia

Screenshot_20170924-165515.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

HolymoleyRE

In regards the Med Exp Force, he reference in a letter going back to Salonika, from what I can see only the 2nd Bt  and 12th Service Btn were there, see if there is a reference to either?

DH8257

I believe on one of the letters about him being in Malta there is a 12th Btn stamp, so 12th Service Btn it would be. I can't work out what is causing him to be sent to hospital in Malta though.

Edited by DH8257

HolymoleyRE

Yep 12th Service Btn, cannot see the cause just invalided in another document...Hernia again? Malaria isn't mentioned rife in Salonika

Screenshot_20170924-182424.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

clk

Hi Dan,

Forces War Records have a transcription of a hospital admission/discharge register entry for a 7192 Pte J Wood of the Cheshire Regiment. It reads that he was admitted to 66 Field Ambulance (suffering from 'Orchitis') on 10.12.1916, and discharged to 28 Casualty Clearing Station on 11.12.1916. At that time he was a 32 year old with 13 years and 5 months service - 6 of which were in the field. The record has him as a 'C' Company 12th Battalion man at that time.

Regards

Chris

DH8257

Yes I guess it could be the hernia again, or as you say maybe malaria.

Regarding his gunshot wound in Egypt, are the 1/4th invloved in any particular action in July 1918? I can see the place name Abbassia mentioned on one document, I'm assuming that's a British base/hospital?

DH8257
4 minutes ago, clk said:

Hi Dan,

Forces War Records have a transcription of a hospital admission/discharge register entry for a 7192 Pte J Wood of the Cheshire Regiment. It reads that he was admitted to 66 Field Ambulance (suffering from 'Orchitis') on 10.12.1916, and discharged to 28 Casualty Clearing Station on 11.12.1916. At that time he was a 32 year old with 13 years and 5 months service - 6 of which were in the field. The record has him as a 'C' Company 12th Battalion man at that time.

Regards

Chris

Hi Chris,

Thank you for this information, I didn't know about this. It's starting to look like he spent more time in hospital than out.

Dan

HolymoleyRE
1 hour ago, DH8257 said:

Yes I guess it could be the hernia again, or as you say maybe malaria.

Regarding his gunshot wound in Egypt, are the 1/4th invloved in any particular action in July 1918? I can see the place name Abbassia mentioned on one document, I'm assuming that's a British base/hospital?

They were back in France by then as part of then 102 Bde 34th Div.

Potentially Battle of the

Marne 1918.

War diary extract for the 23th July 1918.

Andy

http://www.1914-1918.net/cheshire.htm

http://www.longlongtrail.co.uk/army/order-of-battle-of-divisions/34th-division/

Screenshot_20170924-202410.jpg

Edited by HolymoleyRE

DH8257

Sorry got my dates muddled up. He is in hospital in Egypt 29/5/18 though, which is what I mistakenly thought was the g.s.w. It says No.27 General Hospital Cairo, however I can't see anything that indicates a reason why.

Is it possible to view the war diary for the 1/4th Btn online anywhere?

HolymoleyRE
2 hours ago, DH8257 said:

Sorry got my dates muddled up. He is in hospital in Egypt 29/5/18 though, which is what I mistakenly thought was the g.s.w. It says No.27 General Hospital Cairo, however I can't see anything that indicates a reason why.

Is it possible to view the war diary for the 1/4th Btn online anywhere?

TNA have the 4th Btns.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/results/r?_q=1%2F4 Cheshire&_ser=WO 95&id=C14303

DH8257

Thank you very much for your help Andy, I can now actually understand his record and look deeper into his service.

Thanks again,

Dan