Great War Forum

Remembered Today:

Oldleg

Army posts office in Lyons la Foret, Normandy.

Oldleg

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I want to know where the nearest APO (Army Post Office) or ABPO (Army Base Post Office) was to the village of Lyons-La-Forêt. I believe that the Royal Engineers were here along side the labour corps. There was also a couple of POW camps in this area run by the British and Canadians. I would love to see if I could find personal letters from the Brits based here. Can any one help me find out the APO numbers or give me any information that could help. Unfortunately I can not find anything to identify which batallions were here. 

Maureene

I get the impression that Army Post Offices moved around,  but perhaps the following could help.

The British Library catalogue has a book called 

A priced checklist of British army & field post offices, 1914-1919 / edited by Charles R. Entwistle, published 1997.

UIN: BLL01008158685

The contents are elsewhere stated to include 

Base Army Post Offices Army Post Offices Field Post Offices Travelling Post Offices Miscellaneous Marks 44 Pages.

The same author also appears to  have written  A brief outline of the British Army Postal Services during World War I, but this doesn't seem to be in the British Library catalogue

Perhaps you could try contacting the Postal Museum

https://www.postalmuseum.org/discover/explore-online/postal-history/ww1/

Cheers

Maureen

Oldleg

Maureen, I believe you are right, I think that would have moved around but I do know that the British were here from 1917 at least to 1918/19. The Lushai and South African Native Labour  corps were here  but I presume they would have used the British army postal system.  

Oldleg

Why is it a PRICED CHECKLIST? 

What does it mean is what I meant? 

Maureene

I don't know exactly what the above title means.

There is also another book mentioned in a link from a recent GWF post

The postal history of the British Army in World War I - before and after, 1903 to 1929 : an illustrated reference book of British Army postmarks and their location at home and abroad during the campaigns of the war and also on manoeuvres, operations and post war occupations, with relevant historical and postal information  by Alistair Kennedy and George Crabb. Published 1977.

Available at the British Library, UIN: BLL01008814550

This website (at the time of writing) has a copy for sale for £35.00

http://www.hhsales.co.uk/results.php?s=19

Cheers

Maureen

Oldleg

Cheers Maureen for that. I have bought a copy of the first book mentioned the Prcelist blah bah blah (I hope it will help). Concerning the book by AListair Kennedy I think I will wait until I next come to the UK and visit the British Library. If anyone has a copy of the book it would be apppreciated iif any one could help. 

Oldleg
On 11/11/2017 at 04:12, Maureene said:

I don't know exactly what the above title means.

There is also another book mentioned in a link from a recent GWF post

The postal history of the British Army in World War I - before and after, 1903 to 1929 : an illustrated reference book of British Army postmarks and their location at home and abroad during the campaigns of the war and also on manoeuvres, operations and post war occupations, with relevant historical and postal information  by Alistair Kennedy and George Crabb. Published 1977.

Available at the British Library, UIN: BLL01008814550

This website (at the time of writing) has a copy for sale for £35.00

http://www.hhsales.co.uk/results.php?s=19

Cheers

Maureen

Maureen, do you know if there is any Post Office forum where I can ask if anyone has a copy? I will be visiting London in January so I might try to see the copy at the British Library then but it would be good to try and get the info before then and £35 plus postage seems a lot for one small bit of info. 

Cheers, 

Olek.  

Terry_Reeves

Oldleg

I have a copy of EB Proud's History of the British Army Postal Service Vol ii - 1903 -19027 and the Kennedy and Crabb publication mentioned above. What is really needed is the details from the  date stamp which also gave the number of the Post Office. These stamps were changed periodically withe other POs for security purposes. A photograph of the stamp would be helpful as the design of the stamp also changed and is useful for dating

TR

seaJane
On 15/11/2017 at 16:35, Oldleg said:

Post Office forum where I can ask if anyone has a copy?

The Postal Museum postalmuseum.org may have it in their library/archive?